Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread 2010-2011

Loss

http://us.wwe.com/inside/chavo-guerrero-released

World Wrestling Entertainment has come to terms on the release of WWE SmackDown Superstar Chavo Guerrero as of today, June 25, 2011. We wish Guerrero the best in all future endeavors.

Dont sandbag HHH's golden boy I guess.

Interested in what Chavo will say post WWE in regards to Chris, Eddy and his concussion.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope TNA goes out of business because I firmly believe it is ANTI-competition for Vince. That is to say I really believe that the shitiness of TNA leads to people excusing and/or not realizing just how bad most of the WWE writing and booking is. I seriously believe that NOTHING would be better than something in this instance.

I like this thought process a lot.

Is there a clear division (outside of the internet, probably) between fans of TNA and fans of WWE? Are there fans exclusively watching TNA and ignoring WWE? I do expect a certain percentage work it vice-versa.

If TNA doesn't have it's own exclusive fanbase of some signifigance, I agree completely with Dylan here.

Heh, funnily there actually was a few month period whear after I stoped watching WWE I still watched TNA every week since I liked it better. Course this was also years ago and i've long since given up on TNA too.

My mom finally said enough was enough and cleaned out the closet that was storing all of my wrestling VHS dubs. It's been 11 years since I moved out of my parent's house, and last night my mom and dad dropped off two large plastic bins, a large box and two smaller boxes filled with all of my old wrestling VHS dubs.

I hate clutter and storing random shit in my house, so I will likely be throwing most of these tapes in the garbage. Even though I now have everything on DVD in much higher quality, it's still going to be weird throwing all of those tapes away. Tape trading provided many great memories growing up: The first time I watched the "Best of Starrcade" VHS and becoming hooked on 80s era Crockett, watching Super J-cup '94 and becoming a workrate snob, waiting for random ECW epidsodes to arrive, and arguing with my parents about buying more tapes, shipping costs and getting a second VCR.

How many of you have departed with your VHS collections? Was it difficult?

Still have all mine with no plans to ditch them soon. Probably atleast 250+ just for wrestling alone (maybe 400+ counting the non wrestling VHS) almost all at 6-8 hours each.

Well, to be fair, Danielson has not been handled that well. Many would say his constant one-sided beatdowns by the Miz when Miz was champion was a good thing. But I'm not among that consensus. Though, maybe his bookings haven't been quite as bad as my bias has told me it was.

I mean, it's no secret that Vince has never done great for his non-home grown talent like he has for his actual built-up workers.

Hogan, Rock, HBK, Taker, Hart, Cena, Austin, Foley, Hunter, Orton, Batista, Edge, Savage, Warrior

vs.

Punk, Booker T, Eddy, Chris', Danielson, Malenko, Shamrock, RVD, Goldberg, Flair, Vader, Steiner Brothers

Eh, on that top list most of those guys all had atleast somewhat of a name in wrestling before getting to the WWF and came in an era whear it was exspected that you worked lots of diffrent places and were succesful before coming thear. On the bottom list, except for Danielson, RVD at certain times, Goldberg to a degree and maybe Vader pretty much everyone got pushed about as much as they deserved by Vince.

http://us.wwe.com/inside/chavo-guerrero-released

World Wrestling Entertainment has come to terms on the release of WWE SmackDown Superstar Chavo Guerrero as of today, June 25, 2011. We wish Guerrero the best in all future endeavors.

Wow, I always thought Chavo would be a lifer. Course, I only really ever thought they'd do that out of some combination of pity over what happened to Eddie & wanting to keep Vicky around.

As a "work guy", not much.

I don't think anyone would go so far as to say he was ever "bad", he was always "solid" at worst. It's just he was lacking next to the offence of his contemporaries and should never have been pushed as far as heavyweight champion.

What is the general opinion on Yoshinari Ogawa as a work guy?

I love his work. He's a square peg in the round hole that is King's Road style, and that makes me love him more. His run as GHC champ may be my favorite title run from my favorite puro company. Sniveling heel with zero offense that keeps pulling out wins was really compelling, and at the time it was actually really over (he managed to get inside cradles and small packages over as finishers to the crowd). It would be like if WWE gave Stevie Richards a run with the title at some point.

What's the weirdest WCW Liger match on paper ever?

Because I watched Liger vs Sweet Brown Sugar today and that has to take the cake no?

Especially since Dusty was announcing with Chris Cruise, but it was Dusty pretending to be Santa, in a Santa Suit.

I really do love WCW Prime.

What is the general opinion on Yoshinari Ogawa as a work guy?

I love his work. He's a square peg in the round hole that is King's Road style, and that makes me love him more. His run as GHC champ may be my favorite title run from my favorite puro company. Sniveling heel with zero offense that keeps pulling out wins was really compelling, and at the time it was actually really over (he managed to get inside cradles and small packages over as finishers to the crowd). It would be like if WWE gave Stevie Richards a run with the title at some point.

I like how he looks like a tinier, sleazier version of Misawa. I watched a match with him and Shiga vs Sabu/RVD and enjoyed it a lot. Its a really fun sprint. Ogawa did not dom much but I usually enjoy his stuff. I saw a little of his GHC reign and enjoyed it for the reasons you gave.

I guess getting blamed for the Sin Cara match put Chavo over the edge, which is understandable since their reasoning seemed to be little more than "hey, he's a Mexican guy, he should be able to work lucha style" without seeming to realize/remember he's spent his entire career in US feds.

I wonder what kind of terms came with his release, since as stated he knows where a lot of bodies are buried. I also wonder if the humiliation stuff with Vickie will get worse now.

Actually, for more on Ogawa, I always got a kick out of him vs. Misawa during the Jumbo tags. Misawa clearly really liked him; he'd work in monkey flips (Ogawa took them great), tilt-a-whirl backbreakers etc... spots he wouldn't do with anyone else (rarely). And not in that horrible Doug Williams sense where everyone suddenly started doing the Jap Strangle so he could do his counter.

I guess getting blamed for the Sin Cara match put Chavo over the edge, which is understandable since their reasoning seemed to be little more than "hey, he's a Mexican guy, he should be able to work lucha style" without seeming to realize/remember he's spent his entire career in US feds.

I wonder what kind of terms came with his release, since as stated he knows where a lot of bodies are buried. I also wonder if the humiliation stuff with Vickie will get worse now.

He could potentially sink Linda's next campaign

He could potentially sink Linda's next campaign

Could he? When would the statute of limitations on any potential evidence tampering/obstruction of justice/whatever chargesw be up for the Eddy cleanup and whatever might've happened on the weekend of the Benoit murder/suicide? For latter he may not have done anything criminal, though.

I bet he may very well know the details behind Dave Taylor and his wife showing up at the crime scene seconds after the bodies were found.

Guest Slickster

Been watching Starrcade 95 tonight and I was *shocked* when Johnny B. Badd vs. Saito finished with an over-the-top-rope DQ finish!

Is this the last time this finished was used in WCW? And did they ever announce that the top rope rule had been rescinded?

Top-rope rule was formally eliminated in February 1998; Tony Schiavone mentioned it on commentary during a Nitro telecast.

EDIT: It was mentioned on the 2/26/98 edition of Thunder, according to http://www.ddtdigest.com/updates/1998024t.htm