Pro Wrestling Only

Randy Savage Dead

rovert

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shit. He was known for the Poffo tradition of saving his money and seemed like he avoided the tragic fates of a lot of 80s wrestlers. This sucks.

Considering the amount of shit he put his body through, I'd say living as long as he did was a fairly happy ending. TMZ says he was only 58; can that be true? You'd think he was at least Hogan's age.

Same thoughts I posted on DVDVR because I think they are probably true for more than a few people that grew up around the time I did:

Terrible news. A guy who was a part of so many of my wrestling memories growing up. In fact the first time I consciously remember ever seeing wrestling and wanting more as a young child was flipping the channels one Saturday morning and there was this crazy looking dude wearing this glittery purple outfit, a ridiculous purple cowboy hat, and wacked out sunglasses in the middle of his entrance, and my childhood self was intrigued enough to keep watching.

By the time he hit the elbow off the top rope, I was a wrestling fan.

RIP Macho Man.

Fuck me, this is so sad. For once a guy who was a survivor from that terrible 80's era, and.... a car accident ? Macho Man was one of my very earliest favourite wrestler, one of those who got me hooked in the first place. He remained a favourite of mine for most his career until his last bad stint in WCW. Great worker, unique charisma, great interview, insane fashion sense. Really, this is sad to go in a fucking car accident at 58.

The reason why Savage left TNA is he couldnt wrestle as a mystery "illness" meant he couldnt get into his former ring shape hence why he wore that big leather coat during his appearances.

His tweet really resonates:

http://twitter.com/#!/ScottArmstrong_/...651703254028289

It is really amazing given the law of averages and it being the Wrestling business that all the Armstrongs are still intact.

The next GWW episode was going to cover Savage's career. We will still do the show but I'll have to think about how I am going to approach it. Man, this sucks :(

I'm very much looking forward to the next GWW show.

This is really tragic news. I treasured Savage as a performer and thought he had unbelievable charisma. I recently saw his matches with Tito Santana, and just loved him in that.

Just tragic. :(

I do hope the WWE will induct him into the HOF next year. I don't know if everything was patched up between Savage and Vince McMahon (although him doing promo work for the Legends of Wrestling game might have been an olive branch extended to him) but hopefully there can at least be the HOF recognition for Savage.

RIP Macho Man.

It's pretty tragic that they never got to induct Savage based on whatever personal issues Savage had with Vince (and I don't think I buy the Stephanie thing at all). If Vince learns anything from this, it's that if somebody clearly belongs in the WWE Hall of Fame, not to drag his feet and induct the guy, because in an industry where far too few wrestlers make it to 50, let alone 60 or 70, this may not be the last time a clearly deserving wrestler passes away before he can enjoy induction while alive.

Is Savage clearly the biggest star of the past 30 years who has passed away early ? He was really N°2 behind Hogan for his entire WWF career and was still a huge name in WCW until the end. I can't think of a bigger name of the 80-90's era.

Also I would argue he was the best all around performer in WWF/E history.

A case can be made for Austin, although I would probably agree with you on that one.

It just feels odd. Savage was a huge part of what made me a wrestling fan to begin with. The glamour, the excentricity, the great matches, the intense promos, the idiosyncrasies.