Pro Wrestling Only

Would John Cena make your personal top 100?

NintendoLogic

While checking out WKO, I came across the following topic:

http://z11.invisionfree.com/wrestling_ko/i...?showtopic=5078

This seems like it'd be a fun topic to discuss, so I thought I'd bring it over here. My initial inclination is to say most likely yes, but I'd have to give it more thought to know exactly where. I can say with absolute certainty that I would never in a million years rank him above Jumbo Tsuruta.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm Blackheart over there, and already said no. I can't say what it is, but I get the feeling the big Cena fans are seeing something in his matches I don't. Like when I watch Monsta Mack bend a ladder in half by merely trying to jump off of it and I wonder why it isn't recognised as the greatest moment in ROH history. I'll cop to admitting there's a little visceral apathy to Cena, but I don't see a top 100 wrestler in him.

I would be interested to see how people rate Cena next to other guys who aren't generally considered great workers by everyone, but were involved in many major main event programs and have a sizable amount of good and even great matches. I'm thinking of guys like Taker, Sting, Jericho, Luger, et.

I would safely have Cena above those guys myself, but I don't really see him as an obvious pick for the next level up either.

That is pretty surprising Dylan.

My one qualifier on both Cena and "the modern product" is that the dude I picked up Primetime from threw in the complete run of RAW from 2005 for free and Will once accidentally sent me Match of the Year discs for 2010. So there's a possibility I'll give those a look at some point.

Based on 80s All Japan alone Jumbo is top 20 for me easily, if not 10.

I would be interested to see how people rate Cena next to other guys who aren't generally considered great workers by everyone, but were involved in many major main event programs and have a sizable amount of good and even great matches. I'm thinking of guys like Taker, Sting, Jericho, Luger, et.

I would safely have Cena above those guys myself, but I don't really see him as an obvious pick for the next level up either.

I can't bring myself to rank him above Taker, but Taker's worst is so bad I don't think I'll have that opinion forever. Plus Cena's having more and more good matches as the years go by. Sting.....this comparison was brought up with me an a few other guys sometime in 2010 or 2011, and I seemed to be the only one who thought Sting might be better or even comparable, but at this point I'd probably give it to Cena. *Pretty* confident I'd have him above Jericho and Luger. Though I'll say if I had a choice b/w a random match from any guy there, Cena would be the last guy I'd choose.

I'll probably actually come up with 100 guys and gals (not that many gals since my joshi viewings are limited) who I'd put above him later tonight for the fun of it.

Cena brings nothing but apathy from me. I wish he still had the rap gimmick or just something different to his Rock - lite shtick. Almost everything he does in the ring does looks goofy. He's had some quality matches but only the Umaga match sticks. I can't invest or get behind someone so dull.

Where would you chaps rate him in comparison with the other company 'faces' (Hogan, Bret, Rock, Austin etc.) I feel he's a major step down from the heroes past.

He would not be anywhere close to my top 100. If I were to break it down, I’m sure he does certain things well. But he’s never connected with me at all. I guess maybe part of that is his weak character, but it also feels like his in-ring style doesn’t fit the persona. Moreover, his style also seems undefined. Like he’ll do flying leg drops but then bust out power moves. I’m not really sure what he’s trying to portray.

Mechanically, he moves sort of awkwardly and his execution can be really loose and sloppy at times. Also, his expressiveness and facial reactions seem really forced to me. Like he’s always playing a character instead of being himself.

Cena brings nothing but apathy from me. I wish he still had the rap gimmick or just something different to his Rock - lite shtick. Almost everything he does in the ring does looks goofy. He's had some quality matches but only the Umaga match sticks. I can't invest or get behind someone so dull.

Where would you chaps rate him in comparison with the other company 'faces' (Hogan, Bret, Rock, Austin etc.) I feel he's a major step down from the heroes past.

Well working wise, the only person I would relate him to is Bruno because I always thought Bruno sucked at wrestling. However, he doesn't have even a fraction of the heat or support that Bruno did.

Let's face it:

- Bad execution - the man still can't figure out how to apply an STF 9 years in.

- Questionable selling

- Undefined character/gimmick - A wannabe rapping marine who makes poop jokes?

- He's only over with half of the crowd with the over half hating him - Good luck finding people booing Austin or Bruno during their big face runs. He would have been turned/fired in any other era. He doesn't even get that big of a reaction compared with guys of past era's. Also, WWE uses about 90% fake crowd heat these days, so it's hard to even tell. Watch the attitude era and you'll see the differences between current day WWE manipulated heat and real heat.

- Inconsistent promo skills - Cena gets a few good ones in each year but then has two or three bad ones to negate them

He's had some good matches, but if I put say 5 of them up against anyone's best except Bruno and maybe Hogan to a degree depending on how you rate him, he's going to lose.

Keep in mind that this is just WWF guys only. Put him up against Flair, Lawler, Bockwinkle and others and he's going down.

When I tried to make a list of wrestlers who had a strong case for being ranked above Cena, Taker and Jericho were both on it. Not that they're definitely better than him, but it's close. Cena is clearly above Sting and Luger, though.

Hart and Austin are clearly better. Rock is probably better, though he's hurt by so many Attitude Era matches being heavily gimmicked and/or overbooked. As for Hogan, the case can be made that peak Hogan beats peak Cena. But Cena has the edge in terms of week-in week-out performance and sheer volume of good-to-great matches.