Pro Wrestling Only

Eric Embry

Tim Evans

After rewatching the Embry/Brickhouse Brown vs Gary Young/Iceman King parsons match from the Texas set, I figured I'd make this topic. Embry was such a underrated guy. I remember getting the Texas set and just enjoying his matches with Lawler and guys like Gary Young. Actually even before that, I got a comp of all the Embry vs Devastation Inc. feud which was great too. He was a good babyface but even a better heel in Memphis in 91/92. The feuds with Dirty White Boy, Bill Dundee and Jerry Lawler are awesome. Especially the DWB feud where he was having bloodbaths with him at the Mid South Coliseum and screwing with Dirty White Girl on tv in front of Dave Brown who looked disgusted. It's a shame his career was cut short due to a car accident. I'll have to re watch some of that footage to recommend matches for people. Thoughts?

Yea his stuff on the 92 yearbook is gold also. His promos are insane and he brings that disgusting sleaze ball attitude every time he talks. His accent along with his greasy hair make him such an awesome nasty heel. He legit looked like a good ole boy from the trailer park. The angle with the battery acid involving the moondogs was awesome and was a great face turn for embry.

Widely available stuff is the one tag tourney from Puerto Rico where Eric Embry is NE indy pre ECW Corino skinny and tagged with an unmasked Mummy Dan Greer; the Blanchard stuff where he is working as rookie protege to Bob Sweetan, one or two clipped AJ matches teamed with Grand Prix's Richard Charland and the USWA/World Class Stuff. In the unsorted section of Friedlander's list their is a Global ( Boris Malenko fed) light heavyweight tourney with him v. Hector Guerrero.

That's about all I can come up with.

I only know Embry from the Texas set and thought he was absolute garbage. Bland, boring and corny. If I was trying to come up with the exact opposite of a kickass pro wrestler, I would come up with Embry from the Texas set.

I know I'm probably the only one on this board who feels this way. I'd like to give him another shot since im sure his stuff on the Texas set is a small sample size. If you all could suggest a couple of matches/angles (with dates) that might open my eyes to what the rest of you see, I'd appreciate it. Don't suggest anything off the Texas set because I will hate it.

I only know Embry from the Texas set and thought he was absolute garbage. Bland, boring and corny. If I was trying to come up with the exact opposite of a kickass pro wrestler, I would come up with Embry from the Texas set.

I know I'm probably the only one on this board who feels this way. I'd like to give him another shot since im sure his stuff on the Texas set is a small sample size. If you all could suggest a couple of matches/angles (with dates) that might open my eyes to what the rest of you see, I'd appreciate it. Don't suggest anything off the Texas set because I will hate it.

I can kinda see hating babyface booker Eric Embry. The Devastation Inc. feud got a little crazy once he lost the loser leaves town match and still had another match the next week cause it was in his contract. Here's some of his 91/92 work that I enjoy. If you don't like the first couple vids, you probably won't like Embry:

From early 1991. Embry and Bill Dundee had a loser leaves town match and the finish had a lot of shenanigans. Eddie Marlin brings both guys into his office to talk about the match with the ref and what happened. I love crazy yelling Embry who thinks everyone is out to get him.

Another Embry goes crazy angle. This time he punches Eddie Marlin right in the mouth, goes after Michael St. John and gets chased around the studio by Lawler.

Here's a Studio match from November 1991, Embry, Doug Masters, The Scorpion and The Sandman(yes that sandman) vs Lawler, Tom Prichard, The Candyman Reggie B Fine and JT Smith.

I can kinda see hating babyface booker Eric Embry. The Devastation Inc. feud got a little crazy once he lost the loser leaves town match and still had another match the next week cause it was in his contract. Here's some of his 91/92 work that I enjoy. If you don't like the first couple vids, you probably won't like Embry:

From early 1991. Embry and Bill Dundee had a loser leaves town match and the finish had a lot of shenanigans. Eddie Marlin brings both guys into his office to talk about the match with the ref and what happened. I love crazy yelling Embry who thinks everyone is out to get him.

Another Embry goes crazy angle. This time he punches Eddie Marlin right in the mouth, goes after Michael St. John and gets chased around the studio by Lawler.

Here's a Studio match from November 1991, Embry, Doug Masters, The Scorpion and The Sandman(yes that sandman) vs Lawler, Tom Prichard, The Candyman Reggie B Fine and JT Smith.

Thanks man! The effort is appreciated.

I didn't see much Memphis till they were going down the tubes around 95-97 so I missed most of Embry's run and he has become my favorite guy from the past to go on YouTube and watch clips of when I'm in the mood to watch some pro graps.

I wonder how many other people like me that never paid much mind to Embry have discovered his fucking greatness over the past couple of years as more fans go back and watch old footage of his and others with the advent of YouTube.

His work in 1991 in the Tennessee/Memphis feud is world class, he comes off as sleazy some one could ever do, his promo work is excellent, I've always thought he'd make a very good manager if I was honest. I've heard very good things about his turn in 1992, so looking forward to that...

• 1 year later...