Pro Wrestling Only

Jack Brisco

JerryvonKramer

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack Brisco vs. Bill Irwin:

Wrestling from the Chase in St. Louis from 1981. This has a horrible high-pitched buzzing noise throughout. Very short and worked at a blistering pace. I think Brisco's armdrags are approaching Steamboat levels. He destroyed Irwin here.

If it means anything to you. On the Steamboat DVD he says he stole his arm drag from Jack.

Note that I fucking HATE the Brisco's v. North/South tag that finished so high on the originally WWF Set. I don't think it's unwatchable, but I think it's totally disorganized and uninteresting. On the other hand I LOVE the handheld match between those two teams from Boston.

This thread tells me the case for Brisco during that time frame is really thin based on the existing footage.

• 1 year later...

Forget whatever else happened in this thread, it's GWE assessment time. I've acquired an 11-DVD Jack Brisco set, which seems to have more or less everything we have on tape on it. I anticipate that some of this stuff will be clips, but there are also full matches. I think we have more than enough of a sampling size to get a real measure of what Brisco was like as a worker. Two frustrating things about this set:

1. It's not in chronological order

2. There are no dates, so I'm having to look things up and make some guesses too.

On the plus side, it starts with a shot of an actual sheet of paper with "Best of Jack Brisco Vol. 1: Coliseum of Wrestling and Boxing" written on it.

Jack Brisco vs. Mr Saito (1969 on screen caption, seems actually to be 2/10/70)

The commentary on this is really weird because it seems to have like an old hag of a woman on colour with Gordon Solie. It seems like this is an archive clip from around the time of Brisco's debut shown on Florida TV years later in a feature called "Blast from the Past". The woman really objects to this stuff being shown because it's a waste of time and Solie talks about all the letters they've had from fans who really want to see this stuff.

This was either a very short match or just a clip, but it was worked in an incredibly amatuer style (perhaps owing to Saito's olympic past and Brisco's credentials). There was a ton of rolling around in various quick counters before the finish. Pretty amazing to see Saito so young.

Jack Brisco vs Bobby Shane (09/12/1973)

Bobby Shane's ring attire looks not unlike an outfit that could be worn by obscure Batman villian Crazy Quilt.

I've seen rumours that this was Shane's last match before he'd be killed in the tragic plane crash, but that is almost certainly not true because he had a run with the Australian tag titles in 1974 and was killed in February 75.

Only about 3 minutes shown, not enough to get a feel for either guy.

Jack Brisco vs Pak Song (04/17/76)

Joined in progress. Couple of leg drops from Song. He's not wearing any boots. Backbreaker by Brisco and a big knee lift. Two big left hands. Pak Song could easily be Giant Baba's cousin from the way he looks. Big butterfly suplex by Brisco, dropkick. Figure-four. Song counters. And a thrust to the throat by Song floors Brisco. Song throws Brisco out of the ring. Brisco gets on the apron, Song goes for a slam but Brisco counters for an inside cradle to get the Florida title.

We got to see a bit more here, and Brisco looked really good. The backbreaker and butterfly suplex were well executed. He got very good leverage on his drop kicks. The punches looked good. He was very over with the crowd. The sold Song's thrust to the throat like an absolute pro. I've argued before that Brisco was the prototype for the 80s babyfaces like Rick Martel and Ricky Steamboat, and you can really see that here.

Jack Brisco vs vs Terry Funk (03/26/76)

This is from St. Louis, when Funk was NWA champ. Just a low buzzing noise for audio, pretty grainy, clipping. We join Jack and Terry in the midst of a Greco-Roman knuckle lock. Couple of dropkicks from Brisco. Headlock takeover and into a headlock. Funk goes to the eyes and tries to pull Brisco's nose. Funk tries to come back but Brisco goes back to the headlock. Sends him into the turnbuckle and Funk flips over it. Funk sends Brisco packing out of the ring. He flops over the second rope and Funk gives him an elbow. Big piledriver gets Funk two. Neckbreaker gets the three for the first fall, Brisco sells it as if he's having palpatations.

Brisco's down for some time, seems to be really injured. Just to be a cock, Funk gives him a stomp. The ref is trying to revive Brisco but he's in real pain. He can't seem to get up. He sits up and Funk sneaks up behind him with a headbutt to the back of the neck. Funk brings him back up and elbows him right across his injured neck. The match is now officially in the second fall and Funk gets two. Chinlock. Headlock. Funk really grinds this headlock and Brisco struggles like hell. His arms and legs are like jelly being electricuted. Cover gets two for Funk. Brisco hits a desperation shinbreaker which Funk sells wildly. Brisco capitalises by going after the leg some more and gets on his figure-four. Funk sells this wildly flopping his arms about and he submits.

Third fall. Funk is still down and Brisco stalks the ring. Brisco continues his assault on Funk's leg. He takes it outside and slams it on the apron. He works the leg some more. Figure-four! Funk reverses and gets an inside cradle for two. Series of near falls results in Funk getting the pin and retaining the title.

I'm really glad I got to see this, it looked fantastic. We get to see quite a bit of this match and the clipping is not too severe. If we had it in full it would be an easy ****+. The psychology is just excellent here, with Funk destroying Brisco's neck in the first fall and then being a dick in not letting him recover, then Brisco managing to pull off the shinbreaker on instinct which allows him to start targetting the leg. Superb storytelling and all this was tremendously well worked. The selling in this match from both guys was excellent.

Jack Brisco and Black Angus vs. Harley Race and Dr.Bill Miller (1973??)

Apparently from St. Louis. I can't find this match listed anywhere online. It's not on Brisco's career results page on Mid-Atlantic Gateway and it's not listed in various St. Louis resources. Miller is one of those guys you just never hear about, almost totally forgotten to history. Black Angus (of WoS fame) had a run in Central States in the early 70s. Since Brisco is NWA champ here, I'm dating this to some time in 1973. Again no sound for this.

Angus works a headlock on Miller. Race comes in, gets a big slam for his trouble. Miller gets Angus in a bearhug. Race comes in and sends Angus down with a concealed punch. Hiptoss gets barely one. Angus kicks out with authority bringing Miller in to stomp him. Brisco in now and he decimates both heels before taking an assisted backbreaker across Harley's knee. Angus beats on both heels but gets caught with a knee to the gut from Race. Miller covers and gets the three for the first fall.

Brisco levels Miller with a dropkick now. Race comes in. Faces send heels in for the collision. Brisco catches Race with the high dropkick. Slam gets two. Race hits a back suplex to stop Brisco's momentum. Falling headbutt. Angus back in and he takes a slam from Race. Brisco back in with three dropkicks on Race. Backdrop from Angus gets the second fall.

Miller attacks Angus and Race comes in with knees and a piledriver. Brisco gets the figurefour on Miller, Race breaks it. Abdominal stretch now and a kneelift sends Miller over the top. But Brisco gets caught outside the ring. Race suplexes him back in and covers for three. Brisco is out and Race gives him an kneedrop for good measure. Angus was too late with the save. Hmmm, Race pinned the champ!

The clipping on this one was a lot more rampant than the Funk match and it was difficult to follow at times. Miller looked well past his prime here. Angus worked as a big lumbering babyface, but no doubt the match was structured around Brisco as the big star. Race stooged quite a bit for Angus at the start. What came out of this for me was the sheer elevation on Brisco's dropkicks and the extent to which he bumps around. He seems so much more athletic and exciting than everyone around him. Race got his fair share of bombs in here, but the star of the show was Brisco's selling. This has been a throughline so far: Brisco is very very good at selling as well as bumping.

Jack Brisco vs Ric Flair (03/07/80)

Again with this no-sound St. Louis footage. Pat O'Connor is the guest ref; as Larry Matysik never forgets to note, O'Connor would book himself as special guest ref frequently to get double paydays. Armdrag by Brisco to start and Flair immediately begs off. Flair tries a couple of Irish whips but Brisco grabs the ropes to stop them. A lot of rope running here. Brisco connects with a dropkick. Headlock take over. Flair comes back with the atomic drop. More rope running, Flair gets Brisco in the breadbasket with a kick. Atomic drop by Brisco sold like a chicken by Flair. Flair manages to start working on Brisco's leg now. Sends him down with some forearms and gets on the figure-four for the first fall.

Second fall now and Flair stays on the leg, but Brisco is able to counter and comes back with his own figure-four to make it 1-1.

Brisco still sells his own leg injury as he's walking to his corner. Excellent touch. Brisco hits a shinbreaker and Flair tries to beg off. Knee to the shin by Brisco but as he's attacking, Flair sneaks an inside cradle to get the three count. Man, we've seen Brisco take a lot of pins so far!

This must have had significant clipping or else it was a short match, so no rating. It was an interesting dynamic with both guys going for the figure-four and both guys having injured legs by the end of the match. Again, Brisco looked excellent here. His selling is great. He has those deep armdrags which talks to my Steamboat point. Flair worked this in massively chickenshit mode, which is a little surprising in St. Louis.

Jack Brisco vs Terry Gordy (11/03/80)

This is from GCW with Solie on commentary for the National Title. Looks like these two had two singles matches, and I'm guessing this one is from Augusta, GA rather than Rome, GA. Picture quality is very poor here.

Gordy rushes Brisco to start. "Michelle" Hayes joins in stomping. And all three Freebirds triple team Brisco now. Three on one beatdown. Various faces hit the ring to clear house. Brisco is hurt. Looks like there is no actual match beyond the beatdown. Typical Georgia TV.

Jack Brisco vs The Mongolian Stomper [12/12/80)

Brisco again defending his National Title. Stomper works on Brisco's neck with blows and nerve holds. Stomper's manager, Don Carson, is outside the ring distracting the ref. Brisco takes over on offense working the arm and hits a powerslam. Brisco goes for the figurefour, but Carson is on the apron which distracts Brisco ... Stomper pins him to take the title in an upset. Man, in I don't know how many matches I haven't seen Dory Funk Jr take ONE pin, and here Brisco is taking pinfalls left and right!

Jack Brisco vs "Wild" Bill Irwin (1981)

This is from Tampa, FL but can't find a date. Solie tells us that Brisco is the master of the fireman carry takedown and just as he does, as if on cue, Brisco executes one. Solie says that he learned the figure-four from Eddie Graham. Headlock by Brisco into a hammerlock. Grapevine. Wristlock into a lateral press. Irwin gets some knees in. Clothesline. Brisco fires back with some strikes. Butterfly suplex for three. Note: this is different from the Irwin squash I reviewed previously in this thread.

That'll do for now.

Jack Brisco vs The Gestapo (1978)

This is in Florida. The Gestapo is Rip Oliver under a hood. As this match starts Brisco evades an attempt to grab him by The Gestapo and stays behind him with a waistlock and then a leghold. Brisco is excellent at this amatuer-style stuff. Droptoe hold by Brisco brings Gestapo down after some rope running. Gestapo gets some time on top now and Brisco sells for him pretty wildly. But this is a pretty quick win for Jack.

Brisco is lightning quick in his counters. And in this match shows that he is more than willing to sell against much lower opposition.

Jack Brisco and Bob Roop vs. Bobby Shane and Bearcat Wright (1972??)

This is either from Tampa or St. Petersberg, 72 at the earliest, 74 at the latest because that's when Wright retired.

I have a suspicion I've seen this match before, see here and his is mislabelled with it acually being Raul Mata tagging with Brisco, which would make the date 3/9/72.

Looking closely, the partner is definitely Bob Roop because he has Bob Roop's face. Going to give traders the benefit of the doubt and assume the two matches are different.

Roop is certainly as fat Raul Mata was. Brisco maybe liked to make himself look leaner by tagging with chunkier guys.

Well, this is definitely the same match as the other one cos Wright and Shane win the Florida tag titles and the finish is identical.

Looks like whoever compiled the original Florida footage mistook Bob Roop for Mata. I apologise for making the "Raul FAT-ter" joke back in July.

Jack Brisco vs. Austin Idol (07/06/79)

I've seen this listed as 3/29/80, but it's almost certainly the June 79 match from the stadium show in Dothan, Alabama.

This starts with a talking head providing analysis in the top left corner. I'm not sure who it is. I'm also not sure what promotion this is from. It's for the South Eastern Heavyweight title with Idol coming in as champ. And that means I'm guessing the TV is from Fuller's South Eastern Championship Wrestling (SECW) promotion. Holy obscurity Batman.

I'd love to know who the the guy talking might be. He seems to be scoping out Idol for an upcoming bout. I'm about 70% sure that it's Steve Keirn based mainly on his face, but this guy has dark not blonde hair, but 1. Keirn did work in SECW around this time, 2. He mentions that he had several title shots with Brisco in Florida and faced his bother a few times too, and 3. He probably dyed his hair blonde after this when he started with the Fabulous Ones. So I'm saying it's Keirn, but if anyone could verify I'd be grateful.

Idol does a lot of heelish stuff to start including begging off and bailing. A HUGE headlock by Brisco now where he wrenches the headlock up and down like a maniac. It actually looked a bit ridiculous he was wrenching up and down so hard on it. Bob Backlund eat your heart out, that's the sort of headlock you could only dream of!

Big hiptoss by Brisco. Idol begs off again. Idol tries to come back and there's lots of motion but Brisco goes to the headlock takeover to stop the momentum. "Keirn" says that he ranks the Briscos as being just a shade below the Anderson brothers in terms of "best brother teams" in wrestling. What about the Funks then "Steve"?

Idol is all schtick and stalling here. He does a thrust to Brisco's throat which looked both cheap and effective. Bodyslam. Knee drop. Unusual execution on these moves from Idol. Brisco hits on Idol's legs to try to comeback but Idol goes to a reverse chinlock to maintain control. Idol works on the leg with a variety of moves including the spinning toehold to set up the figure-four. But Brisco kicks him outside the ring and then brings him back in with a back suplex, but Idol seems to land on top of him and gets the three count to win. Yet another pinfall loss for Jack, yet another labelling mishap from my trader who says "18 mins of match shown but no end/Great Match!" in the listing.

He's not correct on both counts. First, this isn't a great match. Second, we saw the end! I thought this was a real clash and mismatch of styles. Idol was doing a lot of Memphis-y stuff, Brisco would trying to work a no-nonsense straight matchup. It did settle into being a fairly decent match, the action was good, Idol's psychology in focusing on the leg was decent, but I wouldn't call this "great". That said, Brisco continues to impress. He's a great offensive wrestler and a great denfensive wrestler who can sell and bump. Complete worker pretty much.

And that's the end of this disc.

EDIT: It's also possible that "Steve Keirn" was Hot Stuff Eddie Gilbert.

Jack Brisco and Paul Jones vs. Buddy Colt and Johnny Valentine (06/05/73)

This is from Florida, despite the Mid-Atlantic guys. I reviewed this match here. Always cool to catch a glimpse of Johnny Valentine.

Jack Brisco vs. Killer Khan (1979??)

Seems to be from GCW. Brisco controls the early going with armwork and a few of his trademark fireman carry takeovers. Khan gets a little stretch on top and Brisco bumps big for him before switching focus to the leg. Figure-four for the win in this glorified squash.

Jack Brisco and Jimmy Garvin vs. Mike Fever and Gerald Finley (1980)

Back in Florida. Jim Garvin is pretty young here and he still looks sort of middle aged. "Mike Fever" is not a bad name at all. Mike Fever, Mike Feevvverrrr ... we know how to show it!

Brisco wins with the figure-four. Not a lot to get my teeth stuck into here.

Jack Brisco vs. Buzz Sawyer (1981)

This is a $5k challenge. CWF. I think Solie has Jerry Graham on commentary with him. Solie says he's seen Brisco training on many mornings. There's a lot of talk of Brisco getting a shot to regain the world title by taking on Flair soon. He's in the back watching this one.

This is a mainly mat-based affair. First Brisco controls the arm, then Sawyer controls it. Sawyer goes for the scoop powerslam, but Brisco blocks it with the Thesz Press for the three. What a great counter!

Nice little studio match but you'd hope for a bit more from these two.

Jack Brisco and Jimmy Garvin vs Frank Monte and Geoff Portz (1980)

CWF. Brisco and Garvin are the Florida tag champs now. Monte is one of my favourite jobbers because of his beard. Garvin looks pretty smooth in his work here.

Monte and Portz actually get quite a long time on offense here. This is a competitive match and Solie puts Portz over pretty strongly on commentary. The work is very solid but this is too short to rate really. Only thing to note is that Brisco keeps things moving at a decent pace.

Jack Brisco vs Mike Hammer (1980?)

Coach Heath is on colour with Solie on play-by-play. Heath gives things a sense of "real sports" legitimacy that is really rare. He talks about Mike Hammer's college background and how going forward amatuer credentials are going to become increasingly important in pro wrestling. He just SOUNDS like a real sports guy talking about a real sport. Hammer looks quite spritely with a chop and a knee drop, but Brisco makes short work of him with the figure-four for a quick squash.

Jack Brisco vs. Geoff Portz (1980)

Brisco has a knee support and is limping. Dusty Rhodes is at ringside. Portz uses some stiff punches. European uppercut. Targets the injured leg. But Brisco wins with a flash pin off an inside cradle.

Jack Brisco and Charlie Cook vs The Assassins (07/18/80)

Story here is that The Assassins have put Jerry Brisco out of wrestling, so Jack is teaming up with Cook. This seems to be arena footage from the Eddie Graham Sports Stadium in Orlando, but Solie is commentating. Faces really dominate the Assassins before the bell even goes. The Assassin uses powder in Brisco's face, blinding him. Cook tries to go two on one. "El Grande" tries to come to the rescue but gets isolated for a two on one while Brisco is still out of it. Match still hasn't started! Assassins beat up El Grande now. Heel beatdown on El Grande and Cook now. Assassins are pretty dastardly! And that's we, I guess there was no match. Oh well. I feel like I've seen loads of The Assassins injuring guys beore matches but can't recall actually seeing them have a match!

Jack Brisco vs. Herb Calvert (1980?)

Steve Keirn is on colour with Solie. After some early exchanges, Calvert gets a bearhug on, which Brisco sells will some compunction. But then he reverses a hiptoss and applies a figure-four for a quick win.

Jack Brisco vs Sweet Brown Sugar (1984?)

Brisco looks a bit older here with short hair, if I had to guess I'd say this was GCW in 84. Sweet Brown Sugar wears as a mask. This is a match in a tournament to face Flair for the title. Sweet Brown Sugar controls the first five minutes or so with headlock takeovers until The Spoiler appears at ringside and distracts him. The Spoiler says he wants to expose every other masked man in the business. Anyway, Brisco takes advantage of the distraction, but not for long as Sugar gets back on top. Brisco ends up bailing. If I didn't know better, I'd say Jack is playing the subtle heel here. He executes his fireman carry takeover into an arm bar. Sugar bridges up but Brisco jumps on top of him for a pin attempt. Body scissors by Sugar. Series of pin attempts with this by Sugar now. He's worked a very solid mat-based match here has Sugar. Brisco breaks the body scissors and attacks the leg with a kneedrop and a series of follow ups. He goes for the figure-four but Sugar reverses. Brisco steals the win though, with a sly reversal of his own. He has a smug look on his face as he's booed, confirming the fact he was working heel here.

Not a bad studio match at all, especially for Georgia. Brisco gave Sugar a lot here, and shows us a different dimension working heel -- he really can do it all.

Jack Brisco vs Brad Armstrong (1984?)

This also has to be from GCW. Feeling more confident with my call of 84 now seeing Brad knocking about. Winner gets to take on Flair for the title. Heel heat for Jack, big babyface pop for Brad.

Brisco seems to age quite a bit between 81 and 84. Maybe it's because he cuts off his 70s barnett. Two fireman carry takeovers by Brad, which is going to piss Brisco off, as Solie notes. Side headlock by Brad. Headlock takedown. He controls with a headlock now. Brisco tries to come back but Armstrong nails a dropkick and goes back to it. Brisco dumps him out onto the concrete to break the momentum. As the ref counts, Brisco raises his hands for some boos. He has a very smug look on his face.

Armstrong tries to get back in but Brisco lays him over the bottom rope and legdrops him on it, back to the outside. Two big elbows to the back of the neck now by Brisco. Great psychology to follow up the legdrop by attacking that same injured body part. Brisco has the smug grin seemingly permenantly. Head scissors. Armstrong struggles and the ref calls for the bell.

Really good match, even though it was quite short. Brisco plays a great prick heel, and it's nice to see him as the wily veteran at this stage in his career. One of the better Brad Armstrong matches that I can recall. If it had been given another 5 or 6 minutes, this might have beeng great. As it is, simply very good.

***1/2

A lot of short, rather nothing matches here. Nice to see Brisco transition to being a heel later in his career. Next time in this thread, I'll be tackling some of Brisco's longer matches that we have on tape from Japan.

• 3 weeks later...

Jack Brisco vs. Jumbo Tsuruta (01/30/74)

Jumbo is quite young here. Collar and eblow tieup to start, arm drag by Jumbo into an armbar. Bodyslam by Brisco but Jumbo gets in another armdrag and back into the armbar. The ref here looks like Big Al from Happy Days.

Back up to a vertical base and Jumbo tries to butterfly Brisco, but that's not happening so he goes back to the armbar. Brisco tries to get an armdrag in but it's reversed and Jumbo goes back to the armbar. Back up to a vertical base and this turns round now into a wristlock which Jumbo wrenches. Brisco gets in a desperation sunset flip, but Jumbo goes back into the armbar. He picks Brisco up by the arm while still in "the bar" and slams him down on the canvas. This is some nasty matwork by Jumbo here that wouldn't be out of place in World of Sport. Finally Brisco turns it around into a chinlock, the way he wrenches on it is very reminiscent of Rick Martel. Somehow, Brisco looks like he's bleeding from the mouth, presumably hardway. Jumbo goes back into the armbar but Brisco gets a pumphandle slam to counter. Into a standing hammerlock from Jumbo now and then what looks like a cross-face chickenwing. But Brisco regains advantage and targets the legs now with knee drops. He grapevines them and as he does so punches the leg Billy-Robinson-style. He leans back extremely deeply on this grapevine. Snapmare by Brisco, but Jumbo gets in a backslide and a big two big bodydslams. Elbow drop. Second one misses and that allows Brisco to get in a backbreaker for the first fall.

Brisco applies a headlock and smashes Jumbo across the back of the neck with elbows. He responds with a shinbreaker and now attacks Brisco's leg with kneedrops and a bridging Indian deathlock, now he gets up and falls back on it. You might call that the influence of Dory Funk Jr. Brisco tries to comeback but Jumbo decks him in the gut and then sweeps rounds into a grapevine on the injured leg. Brisco backs up and more or less begs off as Jumbo fires up. Brisco's selling of this leg is great. Boston crab by Jumbo and the crowd are hot. Some European uppercuts from Jumbo now and the commentators namecheck Dory Funk Jr. Jumbo hits the butterfly suplex. Belly-to-belly suplex! That gets 3 for 1-1.So far during this match, Jumbo has decimated Brisco's arm, taken out his leg, and now he's destroyed his back. This is a total body destruction approach from the young Tsuruta.

Jumbo goes straight after the injured back now with kicks and a slam. Camel clutch! Abdominal stretch. Somehow things get to the point where Jumbo is bridging back and Brisco is jumping on top of him. Big bearhug by Jumbo now and Brisco tries to punch his way out of it. He does so before hitting his own butterfly suplex. Backbreaker! Only gets two. Belly-to-back suplex by Jumbo!! Collision spot now and they are both down. Slugfest and Jumbo hits a dropkick. Second time and Brisco grabs the rope, he came off as being a bit Lou Thesz-ish there. Jumbo gets in a roll up but Brisco reverses it for three.

Before giving my views on this match, I just want to say a couple of things about each guy. I know this thread is about Brisco, but Jumbo -- who is still in my view Flair's only challenger for #1 -- can lay claim something that Flair can't: mastery of the 70s style. This match saw Jumbo-as-Dory-Funk-Jr, we never get a Flair version of that to my knowledge. Another thing is that Flair doesn't have matches as good as this one on his resume as early as 1974. These are both things in Jumbo's favour in that comparison.

What about Brisco? If this saw Jumbo-as-Dory, this was Brisco-as-Thesz. He was kind of working subtle heel, kinda, and this was very much a case of young fire vs experience and ring savvy. But the main takeways would be that Brisco absolutely his arse off here to make Jumbo looks as great as possible in front of his own crowd. Jumbo eats up a good 80% of this match on offense, and Brisco's selling is great, whether it's the arm, the leg, or the back. Whether it's selling a hold or bumping big from a throw. More evidence, I think, that Brisco really could "do it all".

So what about the match? Psychology, pschology, pscyhology. Jumbo's offense was assassin-like: target arm, destroy arm; target leg, destroy leg; target back, destroy back. This is exhibit A in that arguent about whether or not a guy should just stick to one body part or start going after different areas. I see no problem in that at all, and Brisco is just so good at selling that he remembers the arm during the second fall, even though his leg is being worked over, and then he remembers the leg during the third fall. My main criticism of this match -- and it's a typical one from me -- is that this is all a bit too one-sided. Jumbo dominates all three falls, and Brisco is getting his falls from opportunistic reversals or quick counters. It's more of a booking philosophy thing than anything, but I like to see babyfaces in peril and showing vulnerability a little more than we see from Jumbo here. This is a very good match, excellent even, and a great demonstration of what I'd call the "70s style", but it falls short of greatness for me because in a 2 out of 3 falls match for the NWA title that goes 30 minutes, you'd expect a bit more parity. Psychology was great, but not convinced about the structure. It's also a little bit sedate, by which I mean lacking in heat and a little intensity.

Jack Brisco vs Giant Baba (12/2/1974)

I think this is the famous match where Brisco talked about making a deal independently with Baba to drop the title to him. Baba targets the arm to start and works an armbar but Brisco reverses to work the leg. Turns him over into a half-crab. Grapevine. And kneedrops into Baba's leg as he's going this. Baba grabs Brisco round the throat to try to counter. Great struggle here.

Some rope running but Brisco slips in a drop toehold and goes back to the grapevine. Baba gets back on top now and gets into a standing surfboard sort of position and works this for some time. Brisco comes back with some fire with a strike to the ear. Knee to the gut. Knee lift. Some real viciousness from Brisco here. Baba comes back with his feather-lite chops. Side Russian leg sweep, and that gets three for the first fall.

This is turning into a slugfest, Brisco is laying in the shots here and Baba seems taken aback. Kneedrop. Chinlock but Baba drags Brisco over. He keeps the chinlock on. Someone should tell the commentators that not every chinlock is a "sleep-ah hold-ah". Brisco is vocal here, "ask him referee!" Multiple elbow drops from Brisco now. Baba comes back with chops and a kick. Big boot! Brisco is staggered. Atomic drop! Gets two. MASSIVE back suplex from Brisco! Figure-four!!! Baba is in real pain here, great selling from him. He's smashing his hands down on the canvas in struggle, but it's too much and this is a submission. Brisco won't let it go and keeps it locks in for some extra advantage. He raises his arm in fury for 1-1. Wow.

Brisco goes after the inner thigh now and Baba sells his two kicks like a real pro. Wishbone by Brisco now. Elbow drop into the inner thigh -- I wonder if Bret Hart got some of his five moves of doom from Brisco, some of what Brisco does reminds me of Bret. Tremendous moment now as Baba tries to snap Brisco over his knee but his leg is too hurt to do it, then he does it again, which isn't too bright. He gets a side Russian legsweep in for a cover but Brisco's foot is on the rope. Shinbreaker from Brisco but Baba gets a swinging clothesline / bulldog in for the cover and everyone goes nuts. We have a NEW World NWA champion! All of the All Japan guys hit the ring and lift Baba over their heads. Lord James Blears comes in with the belt and Baba celebrates.

I really thought this was a very good match, it had a lot more heat and intensity than the Jumbo bout and I thought the psychology was just as strong. Brisco worked much more as Baba's equal here, so there was more parity, and Brisco was willing to show a more brutal side of his personality. Between this and the Race matches, Baba himself had a lot of really great matches in the 70s. His selling in this match was really good. I wouldn't call this a carry job at all. Very very good.

****1/2

Jack Brisco vs Antonio Inoki (08/05/71)

Obviously this is JWA. And as always, some trepedation from me because this is Inoki. Brisco in black tights here. Quick fireman carry takeover from him into an armbar. Inoki comes back and gets on a grapevine. Next few minutes are very attritional with both guys struggling for position and advantage. Inoki ends up getting on a headscissors. Back up to a vertical stance and Brisco gets fired up and goes in for some strikes. He goes to work on Inoki's leg now, driving his knee into the back of Inoki's thigh. Brisco is really great at working the leg with intensity. He attacks this leg some more now and goes for an early figure-four. Inoki immediately goes to the rope for a break. He pins Inoki's leg back now and puts his body over it, not sure what you'd call this, but it looks like it would hurt. Indian deathlock now and he falls back with some conviction -- he does this move with more nastiness than Dory Funk Jr. Goes for a butterfly suplex, lots of struggle from Inoki, but Brisco forces it through and hits it! Inoki comes back with a flapjack thing. Brisco is ready to fight and throws a couple of jabs. Bodyscissors from Brisco now but Inoki has him in a pinning predicament. Inoki manages to get on a headlock, Brisco goes after the leg. Clean break.

Collar and elbow tieup, Brisco with the amatuer move round the back and low. Punches to Inoki's back. Inoki turns it round into a grapevine. Brisco tries to punch his way out of it, and these are nasty punches. Smashes Inoki into the turnbuckle. But Inoki gets a snap Boston crab and the crowd wakes up. Gutshot to Brisco sends him 360 and he gets caught upside down between the ropes. A young boy comes to help him get loose. Inoki gets two. Flying headscissors by Inoki now. Brisco shouts out in pain. Big lefts from Brisco to break out of this and Inoki runs into a big boot. Snapmare, bodyslam and Brisco steals a pin for 1-0.

Brisco attacks from the off in the second fall, all elbows and stomps. Cover gets two. Headlock takeover. The typical headlock / bridge pin sequence now that they loved in the 70s. Huge amount of struggle from Inoki during it though. Inoki struggles to get Brisco in position for a butterfly, but he resveres and gets in a backslide. Inoki gets back ontop and does a neat little leg sweep to get Brisco down on the mat where he works the arm. He grapevines himself around the arm and Brisco does some great selling. He tries to roll out of it and get a pin but that's not happening and Inoki keeps this synched in. I'm not sure what this hold is called, but it looks like it puts great pressure on the arm and joint. Brisco breaks it and is pissed now, several big drop kicks. He charges the corner and this gives Inoki an in. German suplex!! And that gets three for 1-1.

Brisco slaps his own face to recover from the German before the third round. Great little spot. Inoki is ready to fight now too and hits several big stomp kicks. Brisco sells them amazingly. Octopus! Brisco is fading fast ... that's it submission!!

Another great match from Brisco against a Japanese opponent. I can see some people really loving this match for its more shoot-y / attritional qualities because the level of struggle is off the charts. As most people who have followed my stuff will know, I am neither a fan of shoot-style nor of Inoki, so I'm naturally a tiny bit lower, but not much because I thought Brisco's performance was sensational here. Firey, intense, amazing and desperate selling. His attention to little details is something else. I loved that clearing of his head before the third fall and I love that the aftershock of the big German suplex leads directly into the finish of the third fall because Brisco is still recovering. That makes real sense and some interesting / unique structure for a 2 out of 3 falls match to have the final fall so short. To me Brisco looks like the super worker of his generation. I need to see some more Jim Breaks, but Brisco is sitting at #1 for my worker of the 70s so far

****1/2

Jack Brisco vs. Giant Baba (12/05/74)

This is when Baba was champion defending in the rematch, and the trader claims it is "rare", but you can find this on the Highspots NWA title in Japan comp among other places. Watching this and seeing how OLD Lord James Blears looked in 1974 makes it all the more remarkable that he's still alive today. I wonder why he looked so old even back then. He would have been 50 in 1974.

Headlock by Brisco to start and Baba tries to give him a back suplex out of it, but Brisco elbows the back of his neck to break the attempt. Goes back to the headlock and they drop down to the mat in it. Baba turns it around and puts his bodyweight on Brisco's arm in a fairly lengthy control segment. Back up to an armbar, which Baba then brings crashing back down. Brisco gets back on top and works the leg. Airplane spin by Baba! Back suplex by Brisco!! And that's 1-0.

Big cubbing blow by Brisco now. But he misses a kneedrop which Baba immediately capitalises on. Boston crab! Backbreaker! Side Russian legsweep! Hiptoss! But Brisco gets in a desparation backslide. Baba gets in a swinging neckbreaker and Brisco sells it wildly, some shaky leg. Wow, that's one way to sell a neckbreaker! Really hot second fall!

Brisco wants to fight now and this is turning into a slugfest. Baba gets the best of it and chops him on the top of the head. Brisco bails. Back in and we get a repeat, Baba really nailing Brisco on the top of the head with these chops. Cover gets two. Couple of over-the-knee hiptosses. Sunset flip by Brisco gets two! Dropkick by Brisco. Baba gets up and backbreakers him. Two! Goes for the neckbreaker again, Brisco blocks him. Back suplex by Brisco! But Baba kicks off the top rope to change the trajectory of the suplex and lands on top of him: 1, 2, 3!!

Wow, this was a really good match and I think it had more action and heat than the first one. Brisco is once again absolutely superb -- and I really really prefer Baba as a worker to Inoki. The second fall is really good, and the finish is phenomenal. This has great psychology too, which seems to be par for the course for a Baba match -- if wrestling is a human chess match, then Baba is a grandmaster. Brisco shows a hell of a lot of fire here and sells his arse off once again. Might be the best match so far, bordering on 5-star.

****3/4

[later updated to *****]

Jack Brisco vs. Bobo Brazil (03/13/75)

Time to come back down to earth after that ... But this should also be interesting: what can Brisco do against a limited opponent? This is still in Japan by the way, Bobo is chewing some white substance to bely his savage nature.

Bobo jumps Brisco to start and smashes him into the turnbuckle. Brisco is flying around here making Brazil look like a real monster. Bobo stomps around and gets the first fall in about a minute! Wow, the NWA champ is in trouble here, 1-0 down already.

Brisco is dazed and injured and drags himself over to his corner. He's still down as the bell goes for the second fall and Bobo just manhandles him. Brisco is throwing himself around like Ricky Morton here. Headbutt by Bobo. Cover gets two. Brisco starts to fire up and Bobo backs off. Couple of shots by Brisco and a snapmare. Y'know, on this evidence, Bobo Brazil in 1975 looks better than Kamala in 1985. Certainly looks like Kamala got about 85% of his act from Bobo. The thing is, Bobo was usually a face in the US, but here's he's playing a heel and a "savage" gimmick -- I've never seen Bobo be like this before.

Bobo comes back with punches and an elbow. But Brisco grabs his leg and levels him with a wishbone. He stretches his left leg and Brisco positions his foot over Bobo's right foot to extentuate the stretch. Terrific little detail. Elbow drop by Brisco and back to the leg. Single standing grapevine and now Brisco lies down. Bobo is making voodoo noises and laughing manically. Brisco lays the leg out and knee drops it. Bobo is shouting a lot to convey the pain he's in. Back up and Brisco is kicking Brazil in the leg, which sends him down. Back on the leg and Bobo is almost cartoon-like in his much he's selling this. He manages to get back on top with a choke. But Brisco gives him a shinbreaker and gets on the world's fastest figure-four for a pretty quick submission. Bobo has a second with him, a black guy -- I assume this is Rufus R. Jones -- who jaws at him.

Third fall and Brisco is almost possessed in targeting this leg. Vicious stomps and kicks to the leg. He grapevines it over the bottom rope. Bobo still in significent pain can barely stand up. Boboo goes after Brisco and gouges his face and eyes. Chokes now within the count. Thumb to the eye. Rake to the face. Chokes over the bottom rope. Headbutt! Cover gets two only. Bobo still limping and selling that leg. Brisco goes for a shoulder charge but gets another headbutt for his trouble. Bobo sends him into the turnbuckle and starts with the chokes again. Front facelock and Brisco reverses into a small package. Two only. Brisco manages to get on a hammerlock and kneedrops Bobo in his back and arm. Rope break. Double kneedrop by Brisco onto Bobo's head!! Jumping knee. Elbow drop. Bobo comes back with punches. And he goes back to the chokes. Front chop to the face. Headbutt. Bobo argues with the ref as Rufus R. Jones chokes out Brisco. Do they realise they are in Japan? Action goes outside and Bobo slams Brisco into the table. Bobo's second comes over and headbutts Brisco. The bell goes. Is that a double countout or a DQ? Bobo continues his attack on Brisco outside with headbutts. Yes, looks like the third fall was a DQ.

Well this was a lot better than expected. The second fall in particular was really good. Brisco was ragdolling superbly for Bobo, but uses his superior knowledge of wrestling to gain advantage and proves the old line that "it doesn't matter how big you are if you can't walk". The psychology of those first two falls was fantastic. And in fairness to Bobo, he sold that leg really well and didn't look that bad on offense. The main problem is that in the third fall, Bobo is kind of out of ideas for things to do so resorts to choking and cheapness and then we getting a cheap finish on top of it. The stuff with Rufus seemed really out of place in Japan too.

***1/2

Jack Brisco vs. Bruiser Brody (04/26/81)

Speaking of limited opponents ... I can't find a date for this anywhere online, but I assume it's from the 1981 Champions Carnival -- but the only place this is mentioned anywhere is ... right here on PWO by a certain jdw. Certainly looks like 1981.

Brisco lays in some shots to start but Brody cuts him off with a face rake and a standing powerslam. Kneedrop. Sends him into the turnbuckle. Big boots in the corner. Backbreaker! Cover gets nothing because Brisco gets a foot to the rope. Punches by Brisco now and he sends Brody into the turnbuckle. Irish whip but he catches a boot to the face and Brody dumps him outside of the ring. He grabs him by the hair and walks him down the aisle, then marches him back and smashes him into the post. Brody grabs a chair and nails Brisco on the floor with it. But Brisco manages to post him and gets on the figurefour outside of the ring! Brody struggles. Brisco isn't letting go of this figure four. Is this falls count anywhere? Brody grabs a chair and nails Brisco with it and gets back into the ring. Bell goes and Brisco has been counted out. Brody goes back out and grabs the banner on the apron to choke Brisco with it.

Brody really is a piece of shit. Just after breaking free of the figure-four here he gets back in the ring and marches about completely forgetting to sell the leg he was just manically selling outside. Awful worker! It comes to something when you're getting shown up by Bobo Brazil. Brody was just Brody here, all of the worst things you'd expect. Brisco does his best, but what can he do with someone like that? At least it was short.

*1/2

The first Baba match was really good. Brisco did a nice job of grounding him and the legwork played into the bout throughout. Brisco's selling was excellent, which made Baba look weak by comparison. He sold the leg fine, but his expressions while putting Brisco in a hold and his celebrating at the end struck me as not as naturally charismatic as I like my wrestlers to be. I get that he had sound psychology, but I think he gets a bit of a pass on execution and other mechanics because he's such an awkwardly put together big man. I'm not really sure where I'd rank him among heavyweights of his era, but not too high.

The Baba rematch was also good. I liked how they worked a different sort of match only a few days apart. Match two felt like more of a fight. I liked the psychology behind the matwork and they did an excellent job of returning to their feet and working in their high spots. There seemed to be a nice working chemistry between the two. The first bout was the more well rounded of the two and I preferred it slightly more, but the second bout was a nice continuation of what they'd done in bout one.

Brisco/Inoki was another good match. Brisco is an excellent worker. His selling is fantastic and I love the way he mixes in those knee drops with his mat work. As predicted, I liked the shoot elements and Inoki is generally a lot more tolerable to me than he is you. I'm curious how you would compare Brisco to Robinson since Brisco doesn't really have the suplexes you love.

Watched a few minutes of Brisco vs. Johnny Valentine on some DVD that Mike Graham released. Brisco was the World champ at the time and Valentine the US champion. More great selling from Brisco. If somebody had told me a few days ago that Brisco was one of the best sellers in wrestling history it would have flown right over my head. This has been quite a revelation.

Jumbo vs. Brisco from '76 was a boring match. Jumbo controlled way too much of the bout and very little of what he did was interesting. Brisco ended up working heel, but there was no real hook there either. The best thing he did was walk up to Jumbo after making him submit and point in his face. The third fall should have been testier after that, but neither guy brought the edge that the bout required. Brisco didn't look great playing heel. There appears to be a gap between his selling ability and acting talent.

Tonight I'm going to be looking at Brisco's NWA title defenses. We will return to Japan next time.

Jack Brisco vs Buddy Colt (12/18/73)[??]

Pretty grainy footage this. I'd imagine this is in Florida not Georgia. Brisco had lots of matches against Colt in both places, but much more likely to have the footage from Florida, I'll take a stab at the Tampa match, but it could be any of about eight. Colt starts out by putting Brisco in a headscissors which he sells dramatically. He bridges up out of it and quickly goes to a grapevine on the leg. Colt looks a bit like Buddy Rodgers. Presently, he manages to turn it around and switches to a headlock now. Brisco slowly powers out, but Colt synches it back in. Shoulder charge. Brisco gets a slam in but Colt answers with a slam of his own. Headlock takeover and back to the headlock. Brisco escapes this time by throwing Colt's leg to the floor, but Colt goes back to it. Brisco breaks free again to deliver a big butterfly suplex. Very nice high spot. Knee drop. But Colt comes back with a thumb to the eye. Backbreaker. Cover but Jack has his foot on the ropes. Sunset flip by Colt but Brisco reverses it for three and the crowd cheer wildly.

Nothing special here. I guess the main thing to note would be that this was an NWA title match with a face champ who let the local heel eat up about 80% of the offense and came out with a flash pin. After the match Colt gets in some cheap shots to get his heat back.

Jack Brisco vs. Don Muraco (05/28/74)

This looks like Florida, Solie on commentary. Muraco must be quite young here. Looks stacked. According to the records he was subbing for Bobby Duncum here. From the way Solie is talking, this seems like a face vs. face match. Brisco targets the back early and gets in a backbreaker, Muraco targets the leg and hits a couple of avalanches. Goes for a spinning toehold. Backslide gets two. Figure-four by Brisco!! Muraco struggles but manages ot reverse it -- in the process somewhat invalidating Ric Flair's recent claim on Austin's show that he was the first to do reversals on the figure-four. And, as if to compound it, Solie says that Muraco is "the first man in history ever to reverse the figure-four!". So there you have it. Maybe Flair wasn't watching.

But now ... in one of the lamest finishes I've ever seen, Brisco gets to the ropes but Muraco is facing the other way so he doesn't see it. The ref counts to five and then DQs Muraco for failing to acknowledge the rope break. Seriously, possibly the worst finish of all time. "The Eddie Graham was a wonderful finish guy". Sure he was.

Either this only went five minutes or it was heavily clipped and Solie acted like it wasn't. I'll assume it was the later, so won't rate this, but holy shit was that finish terrible.

Jack Brisco vs. Giant Baba (08/08/75)

This is from St. Louis and comes with an introduction from Larry Matysik. He explains how Brisco lost the title to Baba on the first day of his tour of Japan earlier that year but then regained it on his last match before coming back. So Baba agreed for this "rubber match" in the WRESTLING CAPITAL OF THE WORLD, St. Louis. Kiel. This is just highlights, footage is real choppy, and of course has Matysik on commentary. Baba works Brisco's arm to start. Hammerlock into a wristlock. Brisco reacts by kicking out Baba's leg from under him and hamstring snap. THANK YOU Larry Matysik, all these matches I've reviewed and I never knew what that move was called. "Hamstring snap". Mark that everyone. Of course it's called a hamstring snap! Brisco continues to work the leg. Goes for the figurefour but Baba comes back with chops. Flying tackle by Baba but Brisco gets a rolling cradle for the first fall.

Baba with more chops now and some stomps. He starts choking Brisco -- interesting to see Baba work as a de facto heel here. Nerve clamp. But Brisco comes back and chops him down. But Baba hits his lariat to make it 1-1.

Baba continues his assault with chops. Side Russian legsweep. Swinging neckbreaker. Brisco hits a dropkick to break some of the momentum, collision and both men down. Brisco goes for a knee drop but misses and blows his knee out. Half-crab by Baba. Brisco goes for a splash but Baba gets his legs up. Brisco hits what Matysik calls "a Greco Roman back bodydrop" and I would call a "back suplex". Matysik remarks "shades of Lou Thesz!". And that'll do for three.

You'd have to think this was pretty heavily clipped too, but they worked a very different match in front of that St. Louis crowd from either of the ones they workd for the All Japan crowds. It was a bit weird to see Baba sort of dwindle into being a generic foreign heel using chokes and nerve holds, but that's what happened. Third fall had more action, but with this being only 7 minutes from a 2 out of 3 fall match it's difficult to comment really. I can't imagine Baba would have let that blown knee in he third fall go, for example, but we don't see any follow-up.

Jack Brisco vs Edourd Carpentier (04/04/75)

This is completely silent footage, this is from St. Louis. Handshake between the two of them to start. Hammerlock by Carpentier, who looks a little squat, almost like The Crusher. Headlock takeover by Brisco. Inside cradle by Carpentier. Brisco ralles with some big left hands. Front facelock. Handstand by Carpentier. Crossface chickenwing by Brisco! Into a headlock now. Irish whip by Carpentier. SAVATE KICK! What the flying fuck?! I'm going to rewind that and watch it again to see if I was seeing things. Wow, eat your heart out Shawn Michaels! Ha ha. Snapmare by Carpentier. And now he does this little thing where stands with both of his legs either side of Brisco's neck and twists off to the left. Brisco sells this as if Carpentier has broken his neck. I love Brisco's prolonged selling of moves. Carpentier targets the neck now more with a headlock. But Brisco comes back with shoulder charges. He charges him into the turnbuckle. Irish whip to the other corner, but Carpentier flips up over him. Backwards handspring somesault and Brisco charges. Savate kick! Holy shit, Carpentier! I can't believe this guy. Irish whip and Carpentier with a double palm strike to Brisco's throat. He goes down. Forward somersault splash by Carpentier! And again. Wow, 1, 2, 3! Ref raises Carpentier's arm. Brisco is dying in the middle of the ring. Brisco nurses his ribs. This has to be 2 out of 3 falls I'm guessing.

Brisco is still nursing his ribs. He's already had his neck hurt, now his ribs. Brisco is seriously one of the best sellers of an injury ever. He's reminded me of a lot of future faces so far, but in this match he's reminding me of Randy Savage. Carpentier stays on top of him. He's trying to keep back because the ribs are still hurt. Some desperation offense from Brisco is cut short by Carpentier smashing him in the ribs. Brisco crumples to the mat and down to the outside. Back in and he goes for a headlock but Carpentier gets an arm drag and now gets on a bearhug. Totally makes sense to do a bearhug here. He looks like he's about to do a Boston crab, but no he catapults Brisco just up and over into the mat! I've never seen that spot before, usually the catapult is into the turnbuckle, not into ... *nowhere*. Brisco lands on his injured ribs, naturally. Karate chop by Carpentier. More of these flip splash things now. He misses one which allows Brisco to get an atomic drop in. Carpentier sells this like he's been electrocuted. The full shaky leg and arm sell. Brisco covers for the second fall.

Brisco with some knees and strikes now and he goes to dump Carpentier ... who skins the cat. This is ridiculous. Lefts and rights from Brisco now. But Carpentier gives him some punches in the corner before doing a back flip into a handspring backflip and another savate kick. Back drop. Big clubbing blows by Carpentier. Both guys tumble outside and fight ... Brisco manages to get back in the ring for a count out victory as some fans throw trash into the ring.

Well first of all, wow, Carpentier. I don't know if he was great or anything, it's just a legitimate shock to see a guy in this early 70s environment, built like he is, doing back flips, skinning the cat and super kicks. It's kind of mindblowing. I have to assume there was some clipping, but we got a lot of this and it looked like a REALLY good match in the **** range. The selling from Brisco is again off the charts, and this helps make the psychology work really well. Carpentier has some offense I've never seen anyone else do, ever -- like the catapult into nowhere, and the neck twist thing. I should also mention that this is the closest we've seen Brisco to working as subtle heel as champ, because this was more or less your Race/Flair match vs. hero and making them look good, complete with cheap win. When Brisco went to dump Carpentier, that's a sure enough signal of some subtle heelery, despite the goody-two-shoes handshake at the start. And despite the fact I couldn't hear anything, I can't imagine those fans throwing rubbish were cheering -- HOWEVER, this was St. Louis, so they might have been upset by the countout finish rather than booing Brisco.

Jack Brisco vs Spiros Arion (08/21/73

If you want obscure footage, how about this ... Brisco vs. Arion from Australia! This is black and white with an Aussie commentator. Arion starts out on top with some uppercuts and clubbing blows. The commentator says that this has been a good match and he wishes we could have joined him from the start -- he explains that Arion has been the aggressor from the start and Brisco has been on the defensive, using technical wrestling. He says that Brisco was notably the first one to resort to illegal tactics and that if this was a fight he'd have Arion ahead on points. Interesting. It's kind of hard to tell who is who here. I think it's Brisco who gives Arion a shinbreaker. Ref bump!! The ref falls out of the ring. Arion gets an atomic drop but the ref isn't there to count. Ref comes back in and Brisco kicks out at two. The commentator shouts that Arion isn't just wrestling this match for himself but for every Australian watching! Irish whip into the corner. Another atomic drop by Arion and he covers but Brisco has his leg on the ropes. Arion -- like so many future idiots, including Sting after him -- things he's won the belt and starts to celebrate, but the ref points to Brisco's leg on the rope. The match continues. Arion smashes Brischo into two different turnbuckles. Elbow smash, and Brisco goes for a quick inside cradle, but Arion breaks it. Arion tries another elbow but Brisco locks on the abdominal stretch. Arion hip tosses to counter. He picks up Brisco for another atomic drop but Brisco kicks off the top rope to turn it into a back suplex of sorts which ends up knocking both guys out. "I don't believe it, the first time I've ever seen it in my 21 years commentating, a double knock out!"

Man oh man, we're seeing all of the possible cheap finishes tonight. I thought it was really interesting seeing Arion as a babyface in Australia here and so strongly backed by the fans. I have to say I don't recall seeing too many double KO finishes ever either.

Between this, the Carpentier match and the Muraco match, you can start building quite an effective case that Brisco was booked similarly to Race and Flair in some places. They certainly had the cheap finishes and in a lot of these matches he's been mostly selling with the opponent on offense 70-80% of the time. Brisco isn't heelish though, just kinda neutral.

Jack Brisco vs. Jerry Lawler (02/03/75)

This is from Memphis. Lance Russell on commentary. Some massive heel heat for Lawler. Brisco gets cheered. Apparently there were over 10,000 people in the Mid-South Colisieum to see this and it looks absolutely rammed! Brisco is a house of fire to start. Dropkick. Armdrag. Dropkick. Lawler bails. Brisco snapmares him back in. Another snapmare. Great kneedrop by Brisco. Chinlock. Stays in this for some time. Lawler answers with an armbar. Crowd dynamics are interesting here because some fans are cheering Lawler and Lance says some fans love him and some fans hate him. This arm bar goes on for some time. Brisco manages to reverse it. Have to say that this early matwork has been pretty lackluster. Lawler did nothing interest to sell the chinlock and nothing interesting to work the armbar. As I say that, Brisco kneedrops Lawler in the arm while he's working the armbar, thereby making his version of it 150% more interesting. Another kneedrop into the arm. He goes for a third but Lawler catches him on the way down into a bodyscissors. Kneedrop by Lawler. Reverse chinlock. Brisco struggles wildly. See, that's how you sell a chinlock! Brisco tries to struggle out but it's just a hope spot. Eventually he pulls out a backbreaker. Another backbreaker. He fires up. Kick to the midsection by awler breaks momentum. Elbow drop. Suplex. Two count! Knee drop. Brisco comes back with a Greco Roman Back Body Drop! Collision. Shinbreaker by Brisco! Goes for the figure-four, ref bump! Lawler goes inside his trunks. Right punch lays Brisco out. 1, 2 ... 3!!! Your winner and NEW NWA World Heavyweight Champion ... Jerry Lawler!!

But then the ref spots the chain in Lawler's hand. Decision reversed! Lawler is pissed so he gives Jerry Brisco who is standing there in a blue shirt a piledriver. Jack gets up and the Brisco brothers clear house.

This was about a 16 or 17 minute match that didn't seem to have any clipping. I have to say that I thought Lawler brought this match down. His matwork was extremely rudimentary and a bit boring, he did nothing to keep it engaging. His selling wasn't anything notable and he did nothing really to goad the crowd or engage them during the match. Brisco by comparison was Brisco and did all the things you'd expect of him, and I think showed the 24-year-old Lawler up a bit here. It's a decent match, but it's not what you'd hope for out of these two. Lawler failed to match Brisco's fire with effective heel work.

Jack Brisco vs Johnny Valentine (06/24/75)

You'd expect this to be from Charlotte wouldn't you, but Solie being on commentary suggests Florida again to me and they did have a match in Tampa on the listed date. Even so, Solie puts over Valentine as the US Champion. I believe this is taken from the "Gordon Solie: Film Room" that showed on WWE 24/7 some years back. Valentine with some clubbing blows. Armdrag by Valentine. Armbar. More clubbing forearms by Valentine. Brisco comes back with a few roundhouse left forearms. Big kneelift by Brisco. Bodyslam. Valentine tries to bail but Brisco catches him. Snapmare. Knee drop. Bodyslam by Valentine. Dropkick by Brisco. And now the figure-four! Valentine gets to the ropes. Brisco elbow drops Valentine's injured leg. Rolling cradle gets three for Brisco.

We only get about 3 and a half minutes of this, so not a lot of comment on. It has been interesting to see Brisco completely switch up his style to suit whoever he has been facing. Against Baba he becomes tactical, against someone like Arion in Australia he plays Ric Flair, against Lawler he plays the firey babyface, and here against Valentine he ramps up his strikes and punching to match Valentine's clubbing blows. We're certainly seeing a lot of sides to Brisco during this NWA title run, even if there aren't a lot of classics in here.

Jack Brisco vs Bill Watts (09/13/75)

Sticking with this "Solie Film Room" stuff -- I should have mentioned that JR has introductions in between the match clips. Still in Florida. Of course, Solie on commentary but he's got Watts himself with him. I want to pause right here and say that this is a DREAM commentary duo, Solie on play-by-play, Watts on colour. Theoretically one of the ultimate commentary teams. Gary Hart comes out to issue a challenge to the winner but Watts decks him and kicks him out of the ring, ha. Watts on commentary says that he wanted to face Brisco in St. Louis but got swindled out of it, so he's "come to face the lion in his own den". Cool line, cool idea. And sure enough Florida seems like Brisco's "home territory". Watts claims that Brisco is like a savage which is a "throw back to his tribal heritage". Ha ha ha. Watts is amazing, terrific heel already during this. He maintains he didn't try to attack Brisco when his back was turned (he clearly did). He jaws the ref. Elbow and collar tieup. Side headlock by Brisco. "Look at the power in those legs" cries Watts, referring to his own legs. This is legitimately amazing to hear Watts big himself up on commentary. Brisco does some neat agile little counters.

Watts: "No man in the world could have stopped him there, but right now I'm ahead on points and he knows it". Only been one minute and 36 seconds and I'd warrant if Watts isn't better on colour here than some guys have been in their entire careers. Brisco fires up and is ready to fight. Watts puts his dukes up, but as Brisco comes towards him backs up into the turnbuckle and puts the ref between himself and Brisco. Great little bit of psychology. Meanwhile on commentary Watts is claiming that he "believes in the rules and regulations ... otherwise I'd have thrashed him". Ha ha ha!! Bill Watts should commentate on all his own matches. Three deep armdrags by Brisco now. Watts bails. Solie claims that Watts is getting frustrated. Watts claims that he taught Brisco everything he knows and should have much more pride than he is showing now about how a STUDENT of his has become the world champion. "But when I beat him, you'll see who is the student and who is the master". Big left hook by Brisco and Watts cries foul that it was a closed fist. Dropkick by Brisco! Watts says that Brisco has one of the most explosive dropkicks along with Tony Charles. Brisco catches Watts's leg and Watts goes to the eyes. "I'm having to use some of Jack Brisco's tactics there". Honestly, this is a tremendous performance on colour by Watts. Brisco eats the turnbuckle. Hammerlock by Watts. Brisco flips up and over. Goes for a rolling cradle, reversed by Watts which gets two! Nice bit of action. Brisco is ready to fight. Watts calls Brisco a "spoiled brat" for resorting to fighting just because he countered his move. Lovely butterfly suplex by Brisco gets two, but Watts has his foot on the ropes. Snapemare attempt by Watts, so Brisco goes to the abdominal stretch. Watts breaks it and Brisco lands near the ropes where Gary Hart stomps and chokes on him. Watts on commentary claims he has no idea why Gary Hart is doing that and has no ties with him ... hmmm. He pulls Hart from him and shoves him back down to the apron. On commentary he says that he doesn't want anyone jeapoardising his chance to win the title and wants to win it fair and square. Hmmm ... intrigue.

Watts throws Brisco into a turnbuckle. Bodyslam. Hary runs up onto the top rope and lands on Brisco, which gives him a DQ win. Hart runs away. Jerry Brisco runs out in white jeans and tries to stop a heel beatdown from Watts. Watts on commentary calls Jerry a "heathan savage".

I can't be sure if this was clipped, I don't think it was, but man was this entertaining! Watts on commentary is gold, and he plays such a subtle, sneaky heel during this match. Brisco is great as always, but here he has a real foe to deal with in Watts. The stuff with Gary Hart outside of the ring I'm guessing would have played into next week's TV, but it added some additional intrigue here, even though the finish was a bit disappointing. Watts was much more effective here than Lawler was, but the match is too short to get any more than I've given it. I LOVED this though.

***1/2

Jack Brisco vs Harley Race (11/09/73)

According to the trader this is a "rare match" from 73. I think it's from Houston, but not the match where Brisco beat Race for the title (07/20/73), but their second match there four months later. Crowd sound (faint) and no commentary -- Houston is the only place they wrestled where I can see them having tape (they also worked El Paso, Kansas and Atlanta). Race has the "blonde bomber" hairstyle here and an awesome moustache -- tremendous look! Couple of big slams by Brisco to start. Goes for a third but Race reverses into a body scissors. Big back breaker by Race. Knee into the back, twice more. Another backbreaker. Cover gets two. Piledriver! You see that Steven Graham, you Canadian snob! MOVEZ~!! Goes for the falling headbutt but misses. Brisco sells the back injury. He comes back with his big fists, kick, knee lift. He fires up and the crowd cheers. Race is upside down in the ropes. He backs up and begs off. Brisco makes him eat some turnbuckle. Sends him into the corner and Race does the Ray Stevens flip over the top onto the outside. Butterfly suplex by Brisco!! Big kneedrop. Cover gets two. Brisco charges but Race gets a sunset flip for two. Wristlock by Brisco. Knee to the gut by Race. Gutwrench suplex! Cover gets two. Vertical suplex! The falling headbutt! Brisco does the shaky leg sell, he's out! Kneedrop to the head by Race. Cover gets two. "Go Jack Go!" chant from the crowd. Headlock by Race but Brisco gets a back suplex out of it. Cover gets two. Collision. Brisco goes for the figure-four but can't get it. Race goes for a vertical suplex but Brisco struggles and lands on top of him. Race goes to the top but gets slammed from it. Cover gets two for Brisco. Backbreaker by Brisco! Race gets his legs on the rope. Kneedrop from Brisco. Headbutt to the midsection by Race. Another headbutt and Brisco flops back onto the mat -- almost like a reverse Valentine face flop. Race backdrops Brisco to the outside and the tape cuts out.

Awww crap, this was shaping up to be an awesome match. Brisco shows once again how he can just mould his style effortlessly to match his opponent. Race wants to trade bombs and high spots? Sure, let's go then Harley. And that's what we get. For another one of our ongoing talking about regarding the evolution of style -- it's interesting that these two were having this sort of match as early as 1973. This wasn't clipped, it just cuts out short. There was virtually no downtime here at all. Bomb, bomb, bomb. Race seems like he was working this style from the very start. This is 73, about as early as we've got of him. Can't give a rating but this really looked like it could have been a wonderful match.

Jack Brisco vs. Don Muraco (07/30/74)

This is from Florida and was officially a rematch from the previous encounter. Again no commentary. Greco Roman knuckle lock struggle to start. Footage is less grainy here so easier to tell these two apart. Brisco is really fired up. Big elbow smash by him. Cover gets ... nothing. Couple of lefts are met with some big rights by Muraco and a knee lift which pops the crowd. He goes for the spinning toehold but Brisco escapes and goes for the figure-four which he can't get on. Headlock by Brisco. Rolling cradle by Muraco. Brisco powers out. "Go Jack Go" chant. Cover by Muraco gets two. Back suplex by Muraco. Cover gets two. Backbreaker by Brisco. He rolls Muraco up but his shoulders aren't quite down, some struggle, but he gets the pin.

This surely wasn't the whole match.

Jack Brisco vs. Terry Funk (12/10/75)

Back to the Solie Film Room footage. This happened in Miami Beach and was the match where Funk won the title, he was actually subbing for Dory. Interesting that Race subbed for Dory when he lost the title (and Brisco won it from him) and now Dory is subbed out again when Brisco is dropping the title. One of those little things. We join the match 20-minutes in progress. Funk flips over the turnbuckle. Double collision. Funk tries to get up but flops back down. Shinbreaker by Funk. Solie: "Again, Brisco, his face ... a mask of agony". Gordon Solie was a poet. Funk drives a knee into Brisco's leg. Spinning toehold! Brisco counters and goes for the figure-four. Funk struggles. Brisco goes after him with some really vicious looking flailing punches. Hamstring snap. And again. Goes for the figure-four but Funk kicks him off into the steel post. Side headlock by Funk but Brisco gets a back suplex to counter. Brisco goes for the figure-four but Terry counters with an inside cradle and makes history by winning the world title.

Well this is only four minutes, but what we saw looked good. Historical match.Post-match we get an interview with Funk. Solie has the stick. Terry looks incredibly proud and says that it's "the proudest day of his life". Solie mentions that the return match will take place in Tampa. Funk's face drops from all smiles ... "now wait a minute, I thought the return match was going to be in Amarillo, Texas!". And now in an extremely interesting moment, Terry Funk makes a vow...

"I intend on being something that Jack Brisco never was ... and that's an offensive champion. Not a defensive champion! Not the kind of champion that continues running to the ropes constantly during the match. I'm going to take the fight to the man, and prove to these people that I will be the finest champion that the world has ever seen!"

Very interesting because Funk is basically calling Brisco out for working what we might think of as "NWA champ style". I mean there's a bit of heelishness in here, so we have to take it with a grain of salt, but if the new champion is commenting on the defensiveness of the old one, it might have been an idea that was in the ether.

Interview with Jack now. He says he plans on having the title back. He made a foolish mistake and paid for it. Brisco says that he trained and studied to face Dory Funk Jr but then at the last minute turned up here only to discover that he had to face Terry, so this is why he insisted on the caveat of the rematch in Tampa, where he has a lot of "home support". Brisco also had Funk down for a five count at one point in the match while the ref was out.

Couple of weeks later now and it's Terry Funk in the studio with Solie, who asks him if his feelings about the rematch have changed at all. Funk: "Jack Brisco is on the downslide of his professional wrestling career. From becoming a champion, in three short seconds, instead of making history he's become PAST history. There's no more problem about who is the predominant family in wrestling any more, the Funks or the Briscos. And like I said, I plan on being an offensive champion!"

I'll be incredibly interested to see if Funk ever delivered on his promise of being an "offensive champion" or if it was just hot air.

-----

It was really interesting to see Brisco as champ in a variety of different places against a variety of different opponents. Some more general thoughts soon in GWE.

Jumbo vs. Brisco from '76 was a boring match. Jumbo controlled way too much of the bout and very little of what he did was interesting. Brisco ended up working heel, but there was no real hook there either. The best thing he did was walk up to Jumbo after making him submit and point in his face. The third fall should have been testier after that, but neither guy brought the edge that the bout required. Brisco didn't look great playing heel. There appears to be a gap between his selling ability and acting talent.

Man I disagree. I thought this was really good. The 1st fall we see some early mat work to start. Right here is the crux of the 1st fall. Brisco starts going after the back. He's doing a good job of attacking it. Jumbo reverses the tide now in payback shows Jack that he can work over a back just as good as he can. Of course being a world class seller Jack is great at putting over all of Jumbo's offense. The finish is like a dead lift overhead belly to belly suplex by Jumbo.

We start the 2nd fall and Jack is selling the back big. Jumbo is real aggressive here. Jack though looks to be setting a trap. He springs it and gets an ankle pick which leads to him going to work on Jumbo's leg. The work is top notch here and Jumbo returns the favor by selling it. We get the leg work for a few minutes. Jumbo tries to slow Brisco down by grabbing a headlock. Brisco counters it with an atomic knee breaker. He follows it up with a figure 4 for the finish.

The 3rd fall Jack is pointing at Jumbo. The 3rd fall starts with Jack starting where he left off in the 2nd and attacks the leg. Again Brisco is great at targeting the leg. Jumbo attempts a comeback by going back to focusing on Brisco's back. Brisco goes back to attempt the Figure 4. Jumbo shows that he learned from Jack in the 2nd fall and small packages him for the win. 4 1/4* match.

I thought they told a great story in the ring. The mat work wasn't on display but both guys had excellent selling, psychology, and had a lot of interesting things going on that kept me invested.

Shoe, I prefer their bout from '74 as Jack seems like he's the one in control even when he's working from underneath. I will watch the '76 bout again at some point since you liked it so much, but it doesn't seem as though they matched up that well. Jumbo was never that good on the mat, at least not as good as Baba or Inoki, and seemed to mesh better with the bomb throwers like Robinson and Race.