Pro Wrestling Only

Jerry Lynn

shoe

I decided to talk a little bit about Jerry Lynn. I just back from an Indy show here in Austin that was billed as his last match in Austin. I have seen people shit on him for his 2.9 and near fall fests. I always thought the guy worked hard. Sure their were flaws in his story telling method, but I don't think you can challenge the fact that he worked hard. I mean in a main event in front of 300-400 people he worked his ass off . It started with some basic exchanges and turned into a nasty brawl. I mean Lynn went through plywood , took a couple of ladder bumps, did a sunset flip through a table with no padding on the floor. ( I know his opponent took the brunt of the bump) He also took some bumps into chairs.

I talked to him for a couple of minutes before the show. I told him I recently watched 3 matches of him and Waltman from 90. I told him how awesome those matches were in working a territorial blood feud with a innovative wrestling style . He replied with a thanks, and that we were killing ourselves to get noticed.

On his last night wrestling in Austin he worked hard and nearly killed him selves for the fans.

I like Lynn.

I don't think he's a great wrestler or even close to it. But I do agree that he's a guy who always works hard. I was impressed with him when watching for the ECW Set. Most of the RVD matches were what I expected and not in the good way, but the series with Credible was better than expected and I loved the matches with Mikey. I think the next generation of guys who followed the example of the RVD/Lynn matches were a lot worse about the 2.9 stuff than he was.

Well, Lynn was "known" for the Waltman matches before went ECW. Of course once he got there the RVD matches got all the attentions, for obvious reasons, but the Waltman matches were his "big" claim to fame and being the most underrated and misused talent on the circuit. I give him tons of credits for those RVD matches, as I really think he's the only guy who took RVD's shitty formula and turned it into something really exciting and good, which is a feat as I really can't stand RVD (not saying he's the only guy who carried RVD to excellent matches, but he really did work through RVD's own formula which is shitty to begin with. Tracey Smothers on the other hand, kinda forced RVD into a more traditionnal frame and it resulted in one of RVD's best match also in 2000, but Tracey is great). The problem is that he had so much fun working with RVD that he kinda got contaminated by him and his work suffered as a result, as the "cool matwork exchanges" and "a hundred counters back and forth" really comes from RVD's shitty work (he was already doing that with Sabu before working with Lynn). That being said, What I've seen from Lynn post-ECW was still pretty damn good, but he had a way of running through spots with really bad transitions at times (bad punches and kicks galore). That and the annoying "You can't shoulderblock Jerry Lynn through the rope even though you never do it to anyone else" spot are the most glaring flaws to me. I love his 1999 work overall.

When we did the ECW set, these are the matches we threw on. If I made comments on the match, I'll show the comments. If we threw it on because of the Smarkschoice poll, I'll note that...

Shane Douglas vs. Jerry Lynn (3/6/98)

- Damn, Jerry starts off his shine viciously going to the outside, cracking a chair on Douglas and diving from the stage. Douglas tries to fight back but Jerry keeps countering. Douglas turns the tide with a crotch on the rail and then a crotch on the ringpost leading to Jerry going through a table. Nice back and forth and Douglas is really eating Lynn’s offense. Super hot stretch run with Shane’s belly to belly getting the pin. Similar in structure to the Mikey match with the same result. However, both were really good matches and I have no problem with both being featured on the set.

Mikey Whipwreck vs. Jerry Lynn (8/20/98)

- I am not really up on ECW TV so I am guessing this is face vs. face. Nice hot beginning capped off with Jerry going crazy in the corner and hitting a high kick to Mikey’s face. Of course, MMikey works well when getting his ass kicked but has enough credible offense to take control as well. Jerry hooking in a sharpshooter seemed off but it was quickly broken up after Mikey hit the ropes. The outside dive by Mikey was not impressive but it gave him an excuse to put it away in the ring. Wow, I thought the suplex exchange towards the end was pretty sweet and the ending had to get put on rewind to see exactly what happened. I back the solid nomination and I see this making the set.

Rob Van Dam vs. Jerry Lynn (2/11/99)

- God, I hate Fonzie. The main thing I’ll be critical of here is the stalling. Very little stalling early on… all action. So far, everything is hitting on point too and no sloppiness. I wonder if they can keep it up. Fonzie helped with the Van Daminator outside so I’ll give him that. Inside, RVD, abuses Lynn with ease. I don’t know if this is a carbon copy of the rest of their series but I know this is better than one of the famous ones where they stalled the entire time. Van Dam screws up, lands on a guardrail and Lynn capitalizes. Good stuff. After Lynn blocks a Van Daminator, awesome sequence where he does a leg drop and drives RVD’s head into the chair. Then to have the end build to who will get popped first (and RVD bleeds no less). Seriously, this may be the best Lynn-RVD match I have seen. No stalling… each step logically followed based on both guys’ mistakes and taking advantage of them. I don’t see how this is not on the set. The only thing that bugged me was the Malenko roll up sequence that seemed out of nowhere. Now if we can get Fonzie to shut the fuck up we’ll be in good shape. Strong nomination.

Jerry Lynn vs. Mikey Whipwreck (10/3/98)

- Man, these guys came out with some gusto. Some cool things early on but the coolest was the tilt-a-rana that DROPS Mikey on his head. Some matches are hampered by going to the outside. I think this match was actually helped since there were some stiff shots that brought up the intensity of the match. Big finish with a ton of finishers blocked. I want to move this forward but we’ll have to se ehow many times this matchup pops up on the set.

Jerry Lynn vs. Rob Van Dam (Living Dangerously 3/15/99) (Smarkschoice Pick)

Jerry Lynn v. Taka Michinoku (4/24/99)

- Feeling out period leads to Lynn on the outside and Taka doing his amazing leap into nowhere. Jerry gets control and just throws caution into the wind crotching Taka on the rail, dropkicking him off the rail and leaping on him from the apron. Badass. Inside the ring, Jerry works on Taka’s injured leg. TAKA tries to mount a comeback but Lynn has inflicted too much damage so he can never get a lef up. He finally nails a rana and brainbuster to gain control but Jerry moves out of a moonsault attempt and Jerry is back in control. Really super hot stretch run leading to the cradle piledriver and a surefire nomination.

Justin Credible v. Jerry Lynn Low End Nomination (4/30/99)

- Damn, Lynn is coming out on fire kicking the hell out of Credible and tossing him out of the ring. If nothing else, Credible is bumping big for Lynn early on. Seriously, as long as Lynn is on offense, this match is hot. Damn, I know he ripped of the superkick form his clique buddies but didn’t know he dropped a Razor’s Edge too. I kept waiting for Credible to make this match suck but it hasn’t happened so far. Good payoff on a table spot where they set it up but Lynn escapes and after 5minutes or so, Lynn hip tosses Credible on the table to make Credible pay for setting it up in the 1st place. Good stuff. Didn’t like the ending with the interference but I thought the match was hot and it didn’t effect the ending. Easy nomination and I say that as someone who does not like Credible at all. The only way I can see this one not on the set is if they already have a MOTYC type match somewhere else already represented.

Jerry Lynn vs. Rob Van Dam (Hardcore Heaven 5/16/99) (Smarkschoice Pick)

Jerry Lynn v. Tajiri (10/23/99)

- Tajiri kicking the taped ribs makes me feel good. I love how Jerry sells the ribs after the tarantula. Too bad when Jerry was in the tree of woe that Tajiri didn’t dropkick the ribs instead of Jerry’s face. However, you could tell Tajiri was more interested in torturing Lynn than he was in using a sound strategy to win the match. Nice stretch run after Lynn turned the tide and choked Tajiri with his own belt. Add Jerry’s blood and Tajiri going back to the ribs to take control and of course I back this nomination and Tajiri continues to amaze. The red mist into head kick into brainbuster finisher combo was AWESOME. Another HUGE recommendation. Stone cold lock.

Steve Corino vs. Jerry Lynn (Heat Wave 7/16/00) (Smarkschoice Pick)

I actually think the Living Dangerously match with Van Dam works... he comes in with little fanfare, people knew of him but it was a throwaway match for Van Dam, and then Lynn matches him spot-for-spot and surprises everyone. The follow-up matches were all recreations and total bleh, but I do think the first one works fine, they just milked it far too much afterwards.

The Waltman matches he's known for are the Global matches. The PWA matches from 1990 blow those out of the water, as much as I do still like the Global matches.

That explains so much. I've seen the Global matches and was really unimpressed in the context of seeing them pimped as MOTYCs. Then I saw the high praise for the PWA matches and was confused, but since they're different matches it makes sense.

I'm pretty indifferent to Lynn and I downright hate Roderick Strong. For some reason, I watched a match between them from ROH. It was actually good. I gotta think that was all Lynn.

So, I guess if you can make me like a Rod Strong match, you've gotta be doing something right.