Pro Wrestling Only

Bob Holly

Exposer

I've had some discussions about Holly before with my brother and we sort of agreed that he came in at a bad time. I don't think he gets enough praise because I believe he did have some really good stuff especially from his WWE run in 04-06. He's a great tag wrestler and obviously a fun brawler. I thought he was always good working underneath and for the hot tags in tag matches. He had good to great matches with tag partners such as Billy Gunn and Charlie Haas which is saying something. Overall, he's a pretty solid worker and has had flashes of being very good to great. I find him to be somewhat under appreciated. Let the Bob Holly talk commence.

I honestly think he is a guy who was trapped in a bad period. If he had the "Big Shot" gimmick (which was AWESOME) a few years earlier or a few years later I think he would at least have been given more chances to have memorable matches. Not sure he was ever a guy who was going to get a huge push, but the guy was very solid as a worker. There was a period in 05/06 where pretty much any tv match he was in was going to be good. He had all the staples you want a WWE guy to have, but also came across as stiff and mean in the ring which was an element that wasn't always there with other guys who may have been more talented in some ways.

• 3 months later...

Probably gonna read his book soon which I hear his good. Partially as a result of that I'm gonna go back and watch some matches. The other day I watched a really good brawl he had with JBL, but didn't bother to do a true write up of it. Still it's pretty much exactly what you want out of those two, with two "tough" guys slugging it out and engaging big shots with their fists and boots. I was surprised by how well JBL bumped as I had no real recollection of him being a strong bumper. Holly hit a great looking dropkick and a sweet looking diving clothesline. I was surprised by how organic the Alabama Slam counter of a piledriver attempt looked to. Holly ends up busted open during the commercial break and the match gets stopped with an absolutely vicious post-match beatdown that saw Holly eat a Balls Mahoney-level chairshot. Segment ends with Taker crucifying Orlando Jordan, which was probably a really stupid idea at the time, but seems unbelievably awful in hindsight. This match made me want to seek out more Holly and I will, but it also really made me want to find the Taker v. JBL matches from the Summer of 05 on SD which I remember being really great.

• 1 month later...

Always liked Holly a ton. He was perfect in his roles, especially in his later years. Very enjoyable midcard Smackdown run in 04-05. Loved his matches with JBL, had a fun mini-feud with Sylvan, plus excellent tag work with Charlie Haas and Billy Gunn. Good stuff on ECW in 2007 like the memorable hardcore match with RVD. Up to his last run teaming with Cody. Recently watched his youshoot and he comes off pretty cool.