Pro Wrestling Only

Phil Hickerson

KrisZ

I love me some Phil Hickerson and it's a shame that he never fully devoted himself to the business because whenever he came around he was easily one of the best guys on the Memphis roster. Hickerson worked regularly in the late 70's mainly teaming with Dennis Condrey in one of the greatest tag teams of the era but footage of that team is extremely rare and when the 80's started Phil disappeared. Phil had outside ventures such as running a night club and being a radio DJ based out of Jackson, Tennessee and he basically took the first 4 years of the 80's off until returning with The Spoiler (Frank Morrell) to start a feud with the New Fabs (Eddie Gilbert & Tommy Rich). This guy hadn't worked since 1979 and came back like a beast having an awesome feud then continued to work fairly regularly for the next couple of years before taking off again and coming back in 1988 where he was a member of the Stud Stable. Phil's most memorable run was becoming PY Chu-Hi for World Class with Tojo Yamamoto in their legendary feud with Eric Embry which by that time Phil wasn't as good of a worker as he was in his prime but he could still go. Hickerson in his prime was amazing for his size as he would pinball around the ring like a man 100 lbs lighter than him and he was basically a poor man's Crusher Blackwell. Hickerson was as good of a promo guy as he was in the ring as he was this badass country strong redneck who would talk shit outside of a honky tonk then backed it up with ease before going back for another bottle of Jack Daniels. I believe if Hickerson would've worked 1980-83 in Memphis or other southern territories, he would've been at a higher level among the hardcores but outside of a select few of us he is a lost treasure.

Here are a few videos to peruse

Jackie Fargo & Tojo vs. Al Greene & Hickerson (1975)

Hickerson vs. Terry Taylor (8/19/85)

Hickerson & Lawler vs. Gordy & Hayes (8/26/85)

Hickerson courting Lawler

Hickerson vs. Jim Hellwig (December 1985)

Dustin & JJ Funk vs. Landell & PY Chu-Hi (12/1/89)

Hickerson vs. Billy Travis feud (June 1987)

Just watched the "Hickerson courting Lawler" video and man that's a great angle. Really fun brawl with the Freebirds too. I like how they book Lawler to not be the gullible babyface and have him force Hickerson to put up collateral to prove he won't turn on him.

As far as Hickerson, I've liked everything I've seen him in as Phil Hickerson. Thought the PY Chu Hi stuff in Dallas was really weak though. There is a match with him and Condrey vs Lawler & Robert Gibson from the 70s that's so much fun. So much Memphis BS in that match with Lawler riling up the heels by tearing up photos of them and Hickerson and Condrey having fantastic reactions to the faces and the crowd. He cuts a great promo on that same disc about why you don't want to fight ugly people that really made me "get" why I've seen people on Classics or a couple people on DVDVR and here praise him so much.

Bullshit. PY CHu Hi was high concept shit. Picasso level shit.

I loved how the World Class announcers would generally take PY Chu Hi at face value while Lance Russell was all, "Who are you kidding, Hickerson?" :lol:

Tommy Rich & Eddie Gilbert vs. Phil Hickerson & The Spoiler (Tennessee Street Fight 6/25/84)

"This match fucking ruled. I remember the first time I saw Phil Hickerson on TV and I totally didn't buy into him being tough. He looked old, fat, and bald. I was a teenager at the time, so of course I was stupid as fuck. It was around 1984-85 during my yearly visit to spend a week with my family in Louisville. One of the highlights for me each visit was watching Memphis TV on the one or two Saturdays I was there. I don't recall much about Hickerson except what I mentioned before.

But now, looking back? Holy shit, he was fucking awesome. This match was so great. What a bloody mess, I always loved that Memphis ringcover. It always looked like you could get Hepetitis off it. "

Some more of Phil

Don & Ron Bass vs. Hickerson & Greene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTFEnV3rBCo

Hickerson & Shimma vs. Dundee & Lawler

Hickerson & Shimma vs. Jarrett & Bubba

Hickerson & Shimma vs. Travis & Starr

Hickerson & Cactus Jack vs. Brian Lee & Scott Steiner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp_XkbiTHTs

PY & Travis vs. Borne & Jarrett

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoJt7IfC1uEp

PY Chu-Hi....office linebacker

• 1 year later...

Phil was a baby face when he first started out in Memphis. As most of you know he first big break was teaming with Big Al Greene as the Sherman Tanks . The Sherman Tanks were managed by Sam Bass and part of a heel stable with Jerry Lawler. The Sherman Tanks were called the Septic Tanks by the faces .

As fate would have it The Sherman Tanks and Sam Bass became jealous of Lawler . All three turned heel on Lawler and the King made the face turn . The Sherman Tanks demanded to be addressed as Big King Al and Little King Phil.

After that angle Phil began teaming with Dennis Condry in 1976. They first worked the Nashville end of the Gulas / Welch promotion . They came to Memphis and offered any team $ 5,000 if they could beat them . Finally, Bill Dundee and Cowboy Frankie Laine beat Phil and Dennis for the money on live Memphis tv. Bill and Frankie came back out and wanted to give all the money out to fans . Of course Phil and Dennis came out and beat the living hell of them and took the money back . In the end Frankie was piled driven in a concrete floor for his efforts.

Lawler had turned heel again and worked closely with Phil and Dennis . Phi and Dennis also had a brief run as tag champs in Southeastern Championship Wrestling . In 1979 Phil Hickerson retired from the sport. People said Lawler and Hickerson owned a night club in Jackson , I don't know in that is true.

Phil Hickerson and Dennis Condry were of the best heel tag teams in the history of the business.

Phil returned in the 1980's . That when he teamed with Frank Morrell ( sorry The Spoiler is Don Jardine ), teamed with Lawler against the Free Birds , joined the Stud's Stable and went to Texas.

That what I recalled of the top of my head . Hope it is informative to someone.

Mark, do you have any pics of the Sherman Tanks?

No , I don't have any photos. I do know there are a few matches on the Gulas Gold set.I sure you might have them , but just in case. I don't know of any other footage.

GG Vol.2

Tanks vs. Tojo/ Jackie Fargo

Tanks vs. Tojo/ Jerry Jarrett

GG vol.3

Hickerson & Bearcat Brown vs. Ron & Don Bass/ Al Greene save.

Dennis Condry/ Phil Hickerson vs. Tojo/ Tommy Rich

GG Vol.4

Tanks vs. Tojo/ Lawler

Tanks vs. Jackie Faro/ Tojo

GG Vol. 5

Tanks vs. Ron & Don Bass

Tanks vs. Eddie Marlin / Tommy Rich

GG Vol.6

Condry / Hickerson vs. Bill Dundee/ Tojo

Tanks vs. Ron , Don & Sam Bass.