Pro Wrestling Only

Jeff Jarrett

Exposer

I've been reading some Jarrett discussion in the top 10 U.S. workers thread. Let's get more in depth and talk about him here. Was he only good in Memphis? Like him elsewhere? Personally, I haven't seen hardly any of his Memphis work but love the HBK match and actually enjoy some of his TNA work. So, let's talk Jarrett.

I'm open to the idea that Jarrett was only good in Memphis, but I wonder how much of that perception is just based on him having an extremely grating personality in the WWF and WCW, not so much on his ring work. I'll admit that the persona made him borderline unbearable at times.

I don't really see how his career survived 98, except for through his friendship with Russo. It's the combination of going on TV decrying the Double J gimmick and then slipping back into it a short time later and then getting shit on by Austin who was happy to stun him a few times but refused to work with him.

Those are two of the most damaging things I can think of this side of Mark Henry and Mae Young.

He's had plenty of good matches in TNA and even more good performances that were ruined on some level by dogshit booking.

I like Jarrett and don't think there was ever a point where he was less than solid. But it's a very hard sell because there is no question that he never reached the potential of his early yeas and his character work was so annoying/poor it's virtually impossible to disconnect that from what he was able to do in the ring.

He's probably always been a great worker.

But he's always been a much more entertaining one as a face working a modernized Memphis style. I think it comes down to that. He's had some exceptions as a heel (like the stuff with Angle and Michaels), but the vast majority of his best work is from '86-92 or his random face runs afterwards.