Pro Wrestling Only

Where the Big Boys Play #47

placetobenation.com/where-the-big-boys-play-47-jim-crockett-promotions-the-good-old-days/

crockett_doc.jpg

WARNING: If you have not yet seen the Jim Crockett Promotions: The Good Old Days documentary, DO NOT listen to this episode until after you have done so. Get it from here, or if you are a UK fan, here.

If you want to listen to a podcast previewing this set with the director, see the Wrestling Culture podcast episode 45.

This episode is intended only for those who have already seen the documentary. If you have not seen it and try to listen, I'll personally come to your house and break your headphones.

In this impromptu episode, Chad and Parv discuss the new Jim Crockett Promotions: The Good Old Days documentary by Michael Elliot.

Talking points include:

- Old mentor / young protege teams

- George Scott-era Mid-Atlantic in the 70s

- Evaluation of the documentary's strengths and weaknesses

- In-depth hour-long analysis of the reasons for the decline of JCP

Looking forward to hearing this. On the older mentor /younger talent tag team is something that hurts this generation of talent. In 2012 at Comic Con CM Punk did a panel. The question I posed to him was the lack of tag teams and the pushing of tag teams I thought was hurting the development of younger talent and developing stars. I used the Steamboat/Douglas vs. Austin/ Pillman feud as Douglas learning from Steamboat along with Pillman and a guy who developed into one of the biggest stars. His response for the most part was that tag team wrestling was an attraction back in the day . He went on to say how AJ learned a lot from watching him from the apron. He said some more stuff and eventually agreed with my point about young talent not having the opportunity to learn from veterans like back in the day.

I listened to this on my way back from a road trip. Gotta say you guys did a good job digging into this. I agree with the rating you gave the doc Soup. The Mid-South tag team you guys were thinking about was Magnum TA/Wrestling 2. The whole Bob Caudle thing was kinda ironic. About 3 minutes after the doc ended we got Caudle shilling the kickstarter for this doc. So his lack of inclusion is kinda odd. Parv Dusty was gone by 89 so he wasn't at fault at derailing Sting. Now Dusty did Sting no favors in 88 after the Clash 1 draw with Flair. He had no real opponents lined up for the Stinger in 88. The whole accountant thing was interesting. It's been a big talking point for years from the wrestlers about the downfall for years. I'm glad it was covered. The extras on this are pretty cool. Since Parv doesn't want the doc spoiled I kept my thoughts pretty vague.

Thanks Shoe for mentioning Wrestling II/ Magnum TA. When we said Borne I had a huge brain fart and knew that wasn't right but couldn't think off hand who it was.

I do think this doc overall is good at generating some discussion on the downfall of the promotion and the primitive days in the 70's leading into Flair becoming the NWA champ.

Wrestling 2 got jealous of the attention that Magnum was getting. Then Wrestling 2 went heel. Wrestling 2 walked out on Magnum in a match against the MX where the losing team would receive 10 lashes with a leather strap. Terry Taylor came out to take some of the lashes for Magnum so he wouldn't have to take all 10.

Kudos on an excellent show boys(my favorite of the entire series thus far)...you guys pointed out things on the dvd that i didnt notice were missing(the lack of focus on the NWA title the way they skipped around certain aspects of who was booking and how they decided who would be in charge once Ringley lost power etc) They also didn't mention that they bought out Central States and messed up Florida

David Crockett stayed with WCW at least into the Nitro era as I remember meeting him at a Nitro in 97 or 98

I'm glad you guys have finally started to respect how over Johnny Weaver was before our time LOL

The Greensboro vs Chicago deal seems a bit overblown. The bigger issue is that the card itself isn't any good

Heel Flair chasing a lame duck champion is not what you main event the "Granddaddy of them all" with. Dusty vs Luger is the 12th incarnation of Dusty feuding with a horsemen

Kollof vs Taylor was built OK but the UWF TV title vs NWA TV title is pointless when the rest of the UWF titles weren't brought over and the promotion was slowly phased out anyway

The opener looked like a thrown together match on a spot show same with Barry vs Doc

The Roadies and the Horsemen tag match killed the city of Chicago(and they had drawn well in Chicago before this)

I found it interesting that this thing didn't focus on the actual wrestlers feuds as much as the over all promotion...a different take than usual docs about promotions

I'm not sure Magnum TA would have been Hogan but he would have drawn big with women in the 80s with his in some ways he was Goldberg(the fast finish wins really putting over his finisher)

As far as the bigger picture on how they could have survived if they just ran the southeast. They probably would have lasted longer if they would have been fiscally responsible. The bigger issue is that Crockett didnt know what to do with a national company. As outdated as people talk about Verne Gagne at this time, he even sold action figures in 85. Crockett also didn't fully grasp the reach of his TV. He had the Watts tv slot and would cherry pick markets in that region then hop back across the country..I know wrestling didn't have priority in a lot of the newer areas(even vince did this) but crockett would literally come to new mexico and arizona one weekend then head back east then come to la and vegas and sf the next weekend then head back east

They also should have used their contacts at Turner to get their videos in more national retailers. Turner Home Ent had pull

I could go on and on about this though...interested to hear everyone's thoughts on this episode and the dvd...also going to try to find that territory thread Parv mentions

Thanks NWA Fan, high praise from a loyal listener.

I agree with you that as much as they brought up the the geographic difference, the Starrcade 87 card itself and the overall booking of that event is the main problem. I again would have liked to have seen what the reaction would have been if something like GAB 89 was the first show they decided to run in Chicago.

Didn't make a note that they didn't really mention the feuds but that is true and a little surprising since to me Crockett was a very feud heavy fed with people married together like Dusty vs. Flair, Tully vs. Magnum, Jones vs. Valiant, etc.

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?showtopic=20773 - there is the link to the thread Parv was referencing.

• 1 month later...

I can't understand the feelings from some old school guys re;George Scott. It seemed like he booked a pretty hot period for the territory. I also don't know how true it is that during his tenure that the houses started going down. He also had his hand in booking the WWF during a real hot period. Maybe guys like Ole are a little jealous. I know that his return to the NWA in 89 was less than stellar but he was prolly past his booking prime by that point. For all the stuff Cornette says about George, has Cornette ever booked anything that would even compare to the Hot Mid Atlantic mid and late 70's? I know that Ole's booking went to crap in 83 with Georgia.