Pro Wrestling Only

Favorite Hulk Hogan Lies!

Loss

Sek's post about Hogan/Taker at Survivor Series '91 in the other thread got me interested in compiling a list of our favorite lies and myths perpetuated by Hulk Hogan, lies that he may have told enough times that he himself believes they are actually true. Here are some of my favorites. Please share yours.

* Bret Hart never put 150,000 people in Budokan Hall. This is actually true, but Bret never headlined at Budokan and the building doesn't hold nearly that many people.

* Andre the Giant weighed 700 lbs at Wrestlemania III.

* Hogan tore every muscle on the right side of his body slamming Andre at Wrestlemania III.

* Hogan once had to shoot on Tatsumi Fujinami to keep the WWF title when working Japan.

* Hogan created the entire "Macho Man" gimmick and look for Randy Savage.

* Hogan was about to retire from wrestling until Terry Funk, who morphed into Jack & Jerry Brisco in later versions of the story, persuaded him to come back.

There's way more to work with here, but I'm blanking at the moment.

One of my personal favorites is his claim that  the WM III match was up in the air because no one knew if Andre was going to do the job or not, when even Vince said (on the Hogan Ultimate Anthology no less) that it was because Andre didn't think his back was going to hold out.

Here's another one I saw.  Jake Roberts and I never worked together for the title during the 80's because we had no chemistry in the ring.

That's right.  It had nothing to do with the time he DDT'd Hogan on the Snake Pit, and the fans started chanting "DDT DDT DDT" instead of "Hogan" so loudly that they couldn't even air it.

I think there is some truth to the Briscos/Hogan story.  Jerry admitted that he called Hogan once and told him to go to New York because Vince Sr loved monsters.  I don't think it was the Briscos "talking him out of retirement" but more of "yeah you could be a star if you go to the WWF"

As for the Jake/Hogan deal.  Hogan *was* on the Snake Pit (Jake DVD) and got cheered way more than Jake.  Jake made up the DDT part.

As for a new one, I like Hogan trying to get over that he and Orndorff worked real stiff with each other because they "were a couple rednecks from opposite sides of Florida".

Oh and in his book he took credit for selling out Summerslam 92 in England and he wasn't even at the show.

Oh, and about that Taker story:  I haven't seen Hogan Knows Best this season, but last week on Figure Four Daily, Alvarez said that on the show Hogan referred to something as reminding him of "when I had to wear a neckbrace after the Undertaker spiked me in Detroit in '74".  Yes, apparently that match took place 32 years ago in Hoganland.

Hogan claimed in his book (or at least the audiobook version of it, so I would assume it's in there) that he didn't know wrestling was fake until he was in training, at which time he would have been, like, 24.

Well considering that was in the 70's, that could be possible. Considering kayfabe was going strong and Hogan was a fan, he coulda been like the "IT'S STILL REAL TO ME" guy.  ^_^

Hulk's first match in Japan was against Riki Choshu.  At Freddie Blassie's urging, he shot on him to prove a point and won in 2 minutes.

When you factor in production costs and inflation, Hogan's movies were much more successful than The Rock's.

As far as the Jake thing goes, there was a separate Snake Pit where Jake DDTed him.  It only aired in random markets on Spotlight for some reason.  Nobody knows why.  I HAVE heard from people that were at one of their few house show matches that Jake was indeed getting a pretty favorable reaction.

Now, where's Loss's Keller thread?

Sorry Bix. :(  It's pasted below, highlights are bolded.

Updated Wednesday, November 8, 9:24 p.m.

Memo to Daniel Puder:

I guess I can't blame you for trying to extend your 15 minutes of fame, but please don't fool yourself into thinking that anyone one outside the world of mixed martial arts and a small percentage of the wrestling fan base remembers your grand moment on Tough Enough. Great, you caught Kurt Angle in a submission hold. Congratulations.

The truth is that fans who didn't know what to look for had no idea you had flustered Angle momentarily. And as I recall, Angle escaped the hold in a matter of seconds and then thoroughly dominated you on the mat. I'm sure there must be plenty of MMA fighters who caught the great Randy Couture in a submission hold during a practice session and you don't hear them trying to make a career out of it years later.

Honestly, I was surprised to hear that UFC promoter Dana White actually expressed interest in promoting a match between you and Angle. After all, it's not like UFC is on good enough terms with WWE to obtain access to the footage of your one shining moment. And without that footage, there's not much to promote.

I just pray that TNA isn't gullible enough to buy into the hype you're trying to create for yourself because a worked match between you and Angle would have no appeal to 99 percent of the pro wrestling audience. Perhaps TNA could generate interest with the right storyline, but the truth is that TNA could execute a similar storyline for an actual pro wrestler and create just as much interest without you.

Move on with your life, Daniel. Go win an actual fight against an opponent with some name value so that you can hang your hat on something other than those few fluky seconds you had Angle in a submission move.

Updated Thursday, November 9, 7:06 p.m.

Yesterday I wrote a memo to Daniel Puder in which I erroneously recalled Kurt Angle breaking out of his submission hold and dominating him on the mat during their "Tough Enough" segment. Therefore, I think it's only appropriate to start off today with the follwing note to self:

"Do some research, slacker. Your memory sucks. I'm not sure if it was all of the prescribed medication that followed your back problems or if it's attributable to those recreational habits from your younger years, but your memory is shot. You can't remember what happened on Raw last month, let alone a Tough Enough segment from 2004, so take advantage of online tools such as YouTube or you'll make yourself look like an idiot again."

Fortunately, most of you have better memories than I do, and one of our readers pointed out my errors in the VIP Forum this morning. A second reader posted a link to video footage of the Puder vs. Angle incident, so now I am up to speed.

Although I was definitely wrong in saying that Angle escaped the hold and dominated Puder on the mat, I stand by my opinion that TNA could create a similar storyline for one of their wrestlers and generate just as much interest.

And I am still surprised that Dana White expressed interest in promoting a fight between Puder and Angle. According to the story Angle has told, White wanted that match to be Kurt's one and only UFC match. Personally, I believe Angle could take on just about any UFC fighter in his first MMA match and it would sell just as many pay-per-views as a fight with Puder. The hook would be Angle in his first MMA match, not who he's fighting.

Remember when Keller complained about Austin endorsing the XFL on their first telecast, saying that he should have been shown in the first couple of weeks watching the games and looking skeptical before begrudgingly giving his support?

I remember GH & Joe from Theshooters making "skeptical Austin" jokes for months after that.

Here's a list of some Klassic Keller (I tested some of these links and they worked, but I can't vouch for all of them):

http://web.archive.org/web/20010708001112/...cgi?kellerstake

P.S. I checked out the Observer website from 2000 and was very impressed with the site's main graphic:

logo.gif

However, it's comforting to know that Dave's website looks exactly the same now as it did 4 and a half years ago: http://web.archive.org/web/20020603233443/...estling.com/wo/

Guest The Original HTQ

From Keller's Smackdown report:

"It's tough not to have a decent match with Finlay, but it's tough to have a great match with Finlay, also, because he's so stubbornly set in his ways and doesn't stray at all."

• 1 month later...

We have another candidate for this thread, as Hogan was doing an interview in Australia last week, and was asked if any wrestler had refused to another wrestler ever in the history of wrestling.

His response?

Well, Bret Hart was supposed to lose to Shawn Michaels at, I think, um, Wrestlemania whatever the hell it was, 16 or 17 I don't know. All the fans were yelling "Bret screwd Bret". Bret told Vince McMahon I'm not losing to Shawn Michaels in Canada, and they went out there, and Shawn Michaels pulled a fast one on Bret Hart and held him down and pinned him. Bret couldn't do anything about it and the so called 'Excellence of Execution' that was supposed to be the greatest wrestler of all, little teeny Shawn Michaels held him down and embarrassed him. Bret Hart was being a horse's ass and wouldn't lose the match but Shawn pinned him anyway...