Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread 2010-2011

Loss

The PWG shows I attended in 2008 were full of the kind of pasty, overweight, dorks (like me) that you see on ECW tapes. Hardcore indy rasslin fans with snarky comments and obsessive behavior. It was a lot of fun, but the comparison to Trek fans is not so far off.

That was one the thing I was trying to get across:

PWG crowd = ECW Arena crowd

ROH Spot Show crowd ≠ ECW Arena crowd

At least to me. It's possible that other ROH spot show crowds are more Trekkie/ECW Arena-ish.

But the interesting thing about the Richmond show is that when Cornette asked for a show of hands on how many were seeing their first ROH show, more than half went up. Richmond isn't terribly far south of from Manasas where I'd see my prior ROH show earlier this year. My group of friends out here in SoCal would think nothing of making that drive to see something we liked: we use to do TJ from Los Angeles, did Mexicalli once, up to Fresno and out to SanBerdo which all strike me as longer than Manasas --> Richmond.

Despite the promotion pulling out of Manasas to now promote in Richmond, there wasn't a great deal of the old Manasas "regular" who made the trip.

So I was seeing largely two different sets of crowds. For the most part, they acted the same and neither struck me as the ECW Arena / PWG type.

John

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So is TNAnonymous Eric Young?

The truth is out there

TNAnonymous is now calling himself a fan. He's also been posting all sorts of crazy stuff then taking it down, like accusing Bob Ryder of sexually harassing talent. What a weird and worthless saga

I thought that was obvious the first time round with the Hogan stuff as all he posted was stuff you could have already read in the Observer. Somehow tonnes of people gave him a second chance or forgot when he discovered formspring.

The Ryder stuff has been out there as well.

Yeah, that's no secret. Hell, on my old indy fed's local TV show, we once aired a vignette where we referenced an inside joke about how Ryder paid off some of the local prettyboys to do certain things. Playing games of Strip Ski-Ball, if I remember correctly. And countless other things which never got mentioned publicly. Hell, I remember Dames Gonzalez once telling me he knew all about Bob because he knew a guy who worked in Ryder's NYC travel office and willingly spilled the beans on all the shit he got up to. So it's not like this is deeply hidden insider knowledge of the "why does Vince hate Macho Man so much?" level of esoteric obscurity.

PWInsider:

At today's WWE Raw house show in London at the 02 Arena, William Regal told the live crowd that the current British tour would be his last as he would be retiring soon. Regal got one of the biggest reactions of the night for his match against Bryan Danielson.

Regal, who has been extremely underutilized in recent years by WWE, is easily one of the best workers in the company right now. I absolutely would suggest reading his autobiography "Walking the Golden Mile" as it's one of the best WWE-released autobiographies ever.

A few wrestlers I spoke to were surprised by the announcement.

Video of the speech:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEorZmM7t58

:(

F4WOnline has a different spin:

WWE star hints at retirement today

William Regal, at a house show in London, did a speech noting he had been wrestling for 27 years, saying that this may be his final U.K. tour, thanked people for coming to the shows and asked people to continue to support the young wrestlers in WWE.

He did not announce his retirement, but did thank people for supporting him and said that if this is the end, it's a great way to end.

How does that happen (Sup Bix lol)

I had never seen "The Convict" character before.

I worked a bunch of shows where he did that gimmick. At one point he was taken to the ring in handcuffs, and had a "parole officer" who unlocked him so he could wrestle, then cuffed him again after the match was over. His catchphrase was "I'm gonna take yo cornbread, sucka".

Maybe this belongs in lessons of 2006.

Don't know if any of the other Jamie Dundee Springer episodes are up on the net.

I had never seen "The Convict" character before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkB5fPGPD_4

Oh, the memories this brought back! I was about 14 or 15 and one of our local channels carried America One television and in addition to ECW they ran whatever southern promotion featured Bill Dundee and his band of all-stars. I remember my mom calling me into the living room one night to identify someone on "Springer" because they looked familiar to her. It was like finding out Santa Claus wasn't real.

Was there ever a time when "Springer" wasn't a work? I got the "Too Hot for TV!" VHS at a local Goodwill and most of those fights look like shoots.

Recalling back to the Highspots Jamie Dundee shoot, Jamie claimed they would have something like two "legit" groups of weirdos and one worked one on the show, usually putting the work up front since those people were the ones that were supposed to be the "good promos" that could carry a show, and that the fights were actually fights, just don't hit each other in the face (IIRC). Jamie said that when he was on, usually his story was a "real story" someone brought to them but they didn't want to deal with those actual people (weirdo out of prison pimping his little sister, or maybe it was his gf's little sister, but either way point made) so they'd dip into their pool of guys who could work a show to do those. There were probably a couple other details in there that have slipped my mind but that covers the bare bones basics I guess.

All through the mouth of Jamie Dundee then run through my memory, so to be taken with a grain of salt I suppose.

I didn't feel like bumping the mythbusters thread since the Von Erich talk was way back in the beginning of it, so here's a few observations regarding the Von Erichs as I've watched Will's comp.

1. The booking was tremendous, David helping the Freebirds win the six man titles and then graciously stepping aside so Buddy can have a share of the title, only hours before they cost Kerry the world title.

2. Kerry really does look to be the best of the boys as far as inside the ring goes. I'm especially digging his footwork, such as the little shuffle he does when he gets into the ring and when he's making the big comeback.

3. Why was Kerry allowed to talk on the microphone? His promos all sound like he's on Neptune, even what should be an angry fired up one soon after the cage match.

4. I can see why people seem to think David was the best. He really seemed to have an aura about him like he was headed for bigger things. Plus, he seemed to be good on the microphone.

I've seen a bit of David from Florida, and it seems his prime attribute that sets him apart from his brothers is that he could work heel. The others might have been better workers, but neither would be long term viable world champions unless they could switch roles.

I remember watching one Kerry promo soon after the cage match. It looks like he's high, but I liked it in that it also looked like he was suffering the effects of a concussion. He really looked like someone who had a cage door slammed into his skull.

I think they were all using everything. Remeber Kerry's dope bust:

http://www.hack-man.com/Wrestling/NewsArti...9-VonErich.html

The most potentially damaging drug incident was Kerry's arrest in Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport in June 1983. Kerry and his wife were returning from their honeymoon in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, when U.S. Customs agents, during a routine inspection, caught him with 18 unmarked tablets in his right front pocket. Inside the crotch of his pants was a plastic bag containing an assortment of nearly 300 other pills (including codeine, diazapem, Librium, and possibly Percodan), ten grams of marijuana, and 6.5 grams of "blue and white powder." Eighteen months later the charges were dropped by the Tarrant County district attorney.

Quite a score on his honeymoon. :)

I think they all had a taste for coke. From all the reports, it was exceptionally common and popular in the promotion. Hard to think David, Kevin and Mike weren't regularly.

John