Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-04-05-CMLL] El Hijo del Santo vs Felino

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Santo does an amazing dive on Felino, who is laying on the floor, but aside from that, I was a little disappointed in this match until the third fall, which is awesome and pretty fast-paced with lots of false finishes. I also like the finish, with Felino pretty aggressively countering the camel clutch. Not really a complete match, though.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Felino's mask is so cute! Whilst watching the early stages I was temporarily taken over by the spirit of a 10 year old girl and wanted to see Felino in a trios with Felina and Felinito. The Feline familia. I've just checked and of course they both existed. But then I started to wonder if they could be joined by Faglino the Exotico and things were getting too weird... I decided it was best to start over again.

Felino was one cat with great pedigree. Even staying within the confines of the title bout style he was able to inject some roughness and take shortcuts. Decent matwork early on though not exceptional. It was mainly about the high flying, which was often spectacular. Coming to this after watching 1993, Santo had notably updated his offence. There was plenty for the highlight reel, with excellent moves to end the first two falls. Then drama in the tercera. High quality action from two mighty fine workers. The pacing was quite tight, it had just enough time. 5m more would've been welcome. Really good match.

• 1 year later...

Really glad to see the perpetually underappreciated and underused Felino in a big title match setting, getting to cut loose. That said, this is a pretty disjointed match. It's good, but it almost would have been better at one long fall rather than split up. Felino has good-looking offense and good mat skills, but the transitions here were a little wonky and "easy" for my liking.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I liked this match a good bit. Opening matwork was pretty good and the first fall ended on a nice sequence, and the move that ended the second fall was a beauty. Third fall was really good, Santo looked spectacular busting out the big moves and dives. With how flip happy the modern wrestling scene is, I wonder why people don't try that senton dive more often, it's awesome. Very watchable and fun match.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-04-05-CMLL] El Hijo del Santo vs Felino