Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-04-12-ECW-Glenolden, PA] Bubba Ray Dudley vs 2 Cold Scorpio

Loss

Tossing my review of this up here. I'll be getting the set eventually (sooner rather than later hopefully) and this is a match I sort of went to bat for with goodhelmet as a FanCam match that ought to be included. Note that my copy of this had audio issues.

There was a lengthy dance off segment at the beginning of this was actually especially funny because of the lack of audio. Scorp finally gets pissed off at Bubba's attempt to break dance and attacks him from behind which of course leads to Bubba making a quick comeback and Scorp rolling out to the floor. Back in and Scorp establishes dominance and it's evident pretty quickly how awesome this match is going to be. Story of match is basically Scorp kicking the shit out of Bubba when he can get the advantage and Bubba telling him to bring it and Bubba bringing it himself only to come up a little short. At one point Scorp punts Bubba viciously and busts him open which makes stuttering Bubba even more sympathetic. There was a great spot early where Bubba eats a few clotheslines and screams at Scorp who then decks him with a running clothesline putting him flat on his ass. Also really loved Bubba taking a full length ricochet bump off of a really sick top rope dropkick from Scorp. Scorp was great working the crowd in this with taunts and man alive his big spots are awesome as he absolutely creams Bubba with a plancha and a couple of moonsaults. I also loved his big bump into the crowd as he seemed to hang in the air for effect. Gotta give it to Bubba too for really milking his moments in this hamming it up after hitting a powerbomb and having to be coaxed into going for the cover, running to the wrong rope after getting Scorp down and having to reposition leading to a missed splash, et. I've long thought that Scorp may have been the best in the States in 96 and this bolsters his case.

• 2 weeks later...

I am cracking up at the two girls in the audience having waaaay too much dancing to "Highway To Hell" early on. EPIC opening. Scorpio challenges Bubba Ray to a dance off, which is amazing. I can't put it into words, but this is amazing. Thanks to DYLAN WACO for suggesting this go on the set. Seriously, wow. Scorpio is kinda getting his ass handed to him and attacks Bubba Ray in the middle of a breakdancing routine and then we have a match. Scorpio takes Bubba Ray's glasses off and wears them to mock him before choking him with the strap. Then we get Scorpio torturing Bubba Ray for several minutes while taunting the crowd, specifically one guy in the front row who is REALLY into this match. Bubba ends up getting a legit bloodied nose, I think off of Scorpio's awesome dive to the floor, and gets in a few Big Bossman-like offensive moves in his comeback. Anyone who liked the Rockers/Rougeaus London match will LOVE this.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Buh Buh: "I can outdance your Black ass any day of the week!"

This goes to show you how far commitment to character and good vs. evil in storytelling can take you in wrestling, in front of any audience. This is a crowd more smarkier than Smarkyton and yet they're still getting behind Buh Buh Ray in sympathetic support and getting on 2 Cold's case for abusing him, especially when he jumps him during Buh Buh Ray's attempted breakdance. Sign Guy is a pretty effective ringside second, too, in a thankless role as babyface manager and a silent manager at that.

• 1 month later...

Fun match full of shit but entertaining bullshit. I always like these types of matches to mix things up and show some variety from the competitors. We now know Bubba has good comedic timing at times but this was the first instance as his dance off was really good. Once this got going, the action wasnt bad either and proved to be a good defense for the champion of the company. ***

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1996-04-12-ECW-Glenolden, PA] Bubba Ray Dudley vs 2 Cold Scorpio