Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-06-01-World Wrestling Peace Festival] Rey Misterio Jr & Ultimo Dragon vs Heavy Metal & Psicosis

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

This is amazing! Utterly amazing spotfest, not so much for the spots (although they are impressive), but for the rhythm, and the creativity in putting together spots, and also for the really nice face/heel alignment. Whether he is or not, Psicosis sure does seem like the best wrestler in the world here. I LOVE the sequence where he works with Ultimo Dragon and Ultimo keeps getting out of the way at the very last second. Nice blend of comedy, highspots and bumping with everything hit beautifully. This seems to be a great "So what is it that you like so much about wrestling?" match to show people, because it's very accessible and fun, and probably a low-end MOTYC.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

This was from the one-off World Wrestling Peace Festival. Promoted by Antonio Inoki, held in LA and featuring wrestlers from across the globe. When I think of wrestling, 'peace' isn't the first word that comes to mind, but let's go with it.

It was aerial warfare with impressive action. Not too long, easy to watch and didn't take itself very seriously. Ideal for a show like this with such a mixed target audience. Sweet, tasty, light and pleasing. I'll call it a good dessert of a match.

• 11 months later...

Fucking insane. As down as I was on that last WAR match of theirs, Rey vs. Psicosis just never gets old, but they give the other two guys time to show some stuff, too. I hate Ultimo Dragon but this is the best he's ever looked, executing everything crisply and even showing some character work (being in with Psicosis helps in that regard). Metal's good too, though he does blow one spot badly during the missed-dives train. Possibly a top-10 MOTYC. Swap out Heavy Metal and put Juventud in here and it'd be fighting for the top spot.

• 1 month later...

Really nice spotfest with a lot to love here. It had a lot of great energy that never alleviated and really showed off what Rey and Psicosis can do when they go balls to the wall with each other. I think I may have liked this slightly lower than Loss or Pete as it was the popcorn fun match variety instead of the MOTYC one but it was still a blast to watch overall. ***3/4

• 2 weeks later...

Rey Misterio Jr & Ultimo Dragon vs Psicosis & Heavy Metal - World Wrestling Peace Festival 1996

Wow, the rudos get even less in this than I remember. Don't get me wrong, this is an incredibly fun exhibition of the techinco's abilities and rudo's bumping and a total feel good match. When you are promoting Peace through wrestling I can't think of a better match as it features Rey and Dragon at their crowd pleasing best and Psicosis at his most selfless. Besides an early Psicosis guillotine, this was the Rey show with just breath-taking spot getting a bigger and bigger pop. Psicosis was a total pro taking all of Rey's ranas and insane dives. Dragon and Heavy Metal was perfect for what it was with Dragon showing off his kicks and quick movements. I loved Psicosis not being to catch Dragon in the corner with repeated strikes and then the crazy bump he took over the top turnbuckle. The dive train in this was awesome. You kinda miss Rey's somersault plancha, but then all of sudden you have a Psicosis crashing into your scene full force. I thought Dragon would go Asai, but he when with a somersault off the top so Rey could do a corkscrew Asai moonsault. To set that corkscrew Asai moonsault up, Psicosis takes my all time favorite bump the slide on your belly to the floor bump (usually a Rey Rey bump). Heavy Metal follows that up with another favorite bump of mine when technico kicks the rudo's feet from under him and he flies into the ropes/turnbuckles ass-first. A Tiger Suplex gives the technicos the victory to a big pop. One of those matches that will always bring you up when you're down, but without more offense from the heels it just feels like an exhibition. ***1/2

• 1 year later...

#175 - placetobenation.com/countdown-top-500-matches-of-the-90s-200-151/2/

This match was really cool and tons of fun. Psicosis, Rey, and Dragon all looked amazing. I can't imagine how fun this probably was to see live. ***1/2

***I came back to this in June of 2020, and I'm probably a little higher on it now than I was then.  I just love seeing how fired up Rey Mysterio is.  The crowd is nuts for this.  Super fun match, and one of my favorite matches of 1996 up to this point in the year. 

• 8 months later...

Now this is a spotfest. All action and everything looks great. The Rey/Psi exchanges were exceptionally good, everything came off just about perfectly and the crowd was super into it. Ultimo is awesome in this match too. Psicosis is awesome selling for the faces, and Heavy Metal is adequate. Nice ending.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-06-01-World Wrestling Peace Festival] Rey Misterio Jr & Ultimo Dragon vs Heavy Metal & Psicosis