Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-09-24-FMW-Flashover] Hayabusa & Masato Tanaka vs Terry Funk & The Gladiator

Loss

• 1 month later...

Wild match. Too bad the production values suck, as the camera work misses or barely captures a lot of cool stuff and the super hot crowd is reduced in volume so the low-key announcers can be the loudest thing you hear. Like with most FMW, just under the surface of chaos is a pretty solid, structured wrestling match. Hayabusa, Gladiator and Tanaka look like future superstars here. This is really an ECW-style tag brawl with the weapons shots and crazy stunts, but there's also more internal logic and way better wrestling. The powerbomb off the top rope that secured the win for Funk and Awesome is a ridiculous spot and I'm glad it didn't become a regular thing.

Was the post match stuff included on the set?

Always thought it was a cool angle with the Funk Master's stable coming together and Terry's raving promo in the back is one of my fav interviews of his whear he's pissed over the lack of respect American & other foreign wrestlers got in Japan now compared to the 70's & 80's.

• 1 month later...

Yeah the post match stuff is included which is the best part of this. The match was ok with Awesome looking well awesome. I'm still amazed at his agility for a guy his size. However, these announcers are awful. They are like the ones that cover Ultimo Dragon's shows in Mexico that just laugh at everything.

• 4 years later...

Yeah, the giggly golf announcers from the '94-'95 Carnival tapes have infected FMW, and they ruin a lot of the atmosphere here. Crazy balls-to-the-wall match with a lot of inventive spots, all executed very well. Tanaka and Awesome have good chemistry together already. Afterward we get the formation of Funk's Master Wrestlers ™, which is a neat little post-match angle though it feels like a pale NWO ripoff.

• 9 months later...

The action was fine here but I didn't see it as particularly hatefilled or innovative so therefore while the match was fun, it wasn't great in my view. The post match was really awesome however though with Funk being great leading his army of wrestlers and them having a series of promos. ***

• 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1996-09-24-FMW-Flashover] Hayabusa & Masato Tanaka vs Terry Funk & The Gladiator
  • 5 months later...

Terry Funk & Mike Awesome vs Hayabusa & Masato Tanaka - FMW 9/24/96

A very good ECW tag garbage brawl that more suplexes and athleticism than a typical Public Enemy match. Awesome/Tanaka work their standard opening. Awesome's dives are amazing. Hayabusa is fine here. He has a cool outfit but he feels like a sanitized Sabu and he lacks that right hand that made Sabu awesome. Sabu just feels more violent. Funk needs to get in the Spinning Toehold of course. I liked the table spots. They really whacked each other with the table. Awesome came off the top hard with the table. It is amazing Tanaka still has a functioning brain after all these years of taking exposed shots to the head. Hayabusa gets control of the table smashes Awesome in the head. Tanaka's fighting spirit. Hayabusa gets his standard offense in. Funk throws a chair at him knocking him off the top rope. Awesome then just chucks humans around and it is well awesome. The finish is awesome: it is Top Rope Powerbomb from Awesome on Tanaka and it is just badass. It is the style of match that Awesome and Tanaka excel in and Hayabusa is fine. I didnt think Funk added much at all. ***1/2