Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-11-24-WCW-World War III] 60-man battle royal

Loss

• 2 months later...

We get the last few minutes. It's Rey, Regal, Jarrett, DDP, Eddy and Luger versus the NWO and it's really, really good. Regal actually has an awesome babyface moment going to town on the NWO. Then, it's Luger versus the NWO and Luger overcomes the odds briefly before The Giant finally eliminates him. They did a great job on so many things around this time.

Piper was Hogan's immediate opponent. But Luger was someone they wanted as a Hogan challenger the next year, so they were building him up. And Giant was eventually going to leave the NWO and challenge Hogan, so they were setting that up too.

The whole story of Luger as an unlikely hero was one of my favorite things about this time. He lost his best friend because of a mistake he made, and he had to step up and lead, and he did. He crashed immediately after the five-day title run the next year, but this was a good time period for him.

He crashed immediately after the five-day title run the next year, but this was a good time period for him.

Yeah, Luger's career really was boosted by his jump to WCW after a year doing nothing in WWF. Like you said, after the great victory on Nitro and his short title reign though, he crashed down and became dull as hell (despite still being over) and did nothing worthwhile until his "Total Package" heel turn in late 1999 I believe.

• 1 month later...

Man his Total Package run was just awful. He was never the same after joining the Wolfpac and started to wear Jeans.

I liked this match. Regal looked badass and Giant's one handed throw of Rey was incredible. Was this the match where they had 3 different sets of announcer calling the action?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Really good ending sequence. With Rey, Jarrett, Regal and Eddie along with DDP and Luger, you get a picture of "what could WCW have been" if they had choosed to push the young talents. Great babyface fire showed by Regal indeed. Neat detail in that DDP actually never attacked the nWo and vice versa. Luger having to carry the load after making the mistake of not trusting his own friend Sting was indeed a great storyline.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

I watched the full match, which obviously is a mess, but as soon as the smoke clears and its WCW vs NWO, it's a great moment. I forgot who won this, and I was expecting Luger, so I was thinking he was going to somehow pull out an upset, but him losing was way smarter and he looked like a valiant babyface fighting until the end. The subtlety of DDP and the NWO not really interacting was done really well. Great touch. WW3 was a good show.

• 1 month later...

Ditto the above comment. The first 22 mins or so of the match is hard to watch as the camera work ignores the first part of the bout as the Dungeon and Horsemen brawl. Then we get an annoying 3 screens that make things hard to see and focus with. No real notable spots after that until we get to the finish.

I read somewhere Scott Steiner was announced in the match, never showed and then the announcers pretended he got tossed. Is that true?

• 7 months later...

at one point eddie does a dive over the top to the outside

I read somewhere Scott Steiner was announced in the match, never showed and then the announcers pretended he got tossed. Is that true?

yeah i was wondering what the hell that was about, turns out i was right because i didn't see him with rick during the entrances.

• 10 months later...

Really good finish to the main event. Regal is able to get some shine and Luger looks great. The idea of the numbers game being too much for him to overcome was a nice story to tell. Bobby yelling on and on about how this is the greatest PPV of all time was grating.

• 9 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1996-11-24-WCW-World War III] 60-man battle royal