Pro Wrestling Only

WWF Ongoing Thread

Kronos

Raylan Givens said it best: "Y'all go poking the bear and it's his fault when you get bit."

Nice. That's a perfect quote for the story that match was telling.

I feel like I should check out some Rougeaus babyface stuff from around this period. I remember nothing about their Wrestlemania match now, but they've gotten to bust out a bunch of cool offence on a couple other shows I've checked out. I should probably watch the Hart Foundation match(es).

The tag matches that really stood out for me when Grimmas was doing his Bret Hart project (and I was following along) were the Islanders matches. Face Islanders vs heel Hart Foundation was good stuff.

WMIII was probably the peak of my pure WWF fandom. I was at University, and I had a girlfriend who actually liked wrestling and she had two brothers who also like wrestling and we got a whole group together to go to the Pacific Colosseum and watch the show on closed circuit. What an atmosphere! Oh boy did we ever mark out for Piper v Adonis and Savage vs Steamboat.

Enjoyed that write-up a lot. Brought back some good memories.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrestlemania 3 was such a fun show from Hogan slamming the Giant to a epic Steamboat/Savage match to Adonis getting his head shaved.

Its been said for years by fans who thought Savage/Steamboat was match of the night but saw Bundy's shoot yesterday and he disagreed with fans saying that match alone wouldn't have sold Mania he said match of the night was actually Hogan/Andre as thats what people came to see.

Nobody has ever disputed Hogan-Andre was what drew people to the show. There can be a difference between the match that drew the crowd in and the match that was the best on the card.

Bundy's perspective and the perspective of a fan are and should be decidedly different.

Yeah, I don't think anybody's ever likely to argue that Savage/Steamboat was the money match on that card.

I feel like I should check out some Rougeaus babyface stuff from around this period. I remember nothing about their Wrestlemania match now, but they've gotten to bust out a bunch of cool offence on a couple other shows I've checked out. I should probably watch the Hart Foundation match(es).

The tag matches that really stood out for me when Grimmas was doing his Bret Hart project (and I was following along) were the Islanders matches. Face Islanders vs heel Hart Foundation was good stuff.

Man, I love Islanders/Hart Foundation. The 11/86 match from Maple Leaf Gardens is a personal favourite of mine and I basically watch it once a year at this point. I know there are other matches between them out there (the Philly Spectrum match gets a decent amount of time too, I think), yet for some reason I haven't checked any of them out.

Heel Islanders v babyface Rockers is a total dream match for me and I'm gutted that it never happened. The Islanders were awesome.

I like the MSG match with Bret and Raymond from '86. I understand why he wanted to come in as a team with his brother but I think Raymond could have had a stronger singles run.

Bundy's perspective and the perspective of a fan are and should be decidedly different.

His perspective is perhaps tainted, particularly when it comes to Randy Savage. He told a story in the shoot about Randy and Angelo Poffo insulting him because of his weight in Memphis, and in a rather cruel way too from how he put it.

Raylan Givens said it best: "Y'all go poking the bear and it's his fault when you get bit."

In another life, Elmore Leonard would have been a hell of a booker.

Heel Islanders v babyface Rockers is a total dream match for me and I'm gutted that it never happened. The Islanders were awesome.

Makes you wonder what their run from 87 to 88 would have been. One tantalizing possibility is putting together a Shawn/Ricky Steamboat match. It's a shame it didn't happen in '91 during The Dragon run.

In another life, Elmore Leonard would have been a hell of a booker.

Makes you wonder what their run from 87 to 88 would have been. One tantalizing possibility is putting together a Shawn/Ricky Steamboat match. It's a shame it didn't happen in '91 during The Dragon run.

WWF's fault was giving him a new persona and basically forgetting his past. Everyone knew he was a former IC champ but I can't ever remembering WWE acknowledge it.

• 5 months later...

Im watching clips of Piper shoot interviews and he claims that Snuka's loss to Morocco was a political hit to put Hogan over him. It also seems like he might've saw David Schultz as a threat to him being to top heel, which is a shame if thats the case. They couldve done more with Dr D but he claims Hulk didnt want to business with him. I'm so fascinated with Pre and Post Wrestlemania I era WWF it seems like it was very competitive as far as guys wanting to keep their spots or get the top spot of which ever side of Face or Heel you were on. Probably was most competitive the New York territory ever was or will ever be Honestly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2018 at 5:36 AM, iamthedoctor said:

WWF's fault was giving him a new persona and basically forgetting his past. Everyone knew he was a former IC champ but I can't ever remembering WWE acknowledge it.

I think at the end of one of his MSG matches, Gorilla refers to him as "Ricky The Dragon Steamboat". That's about it I'm sure. 

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, flyonthewall2983 said:

Did Ted Dibiase and Davey Boy Smith ever have a singles match during DBS' singles run from 90 to 92? Feels like a natural fit for house shows, or maybe the odd Prime Time taping.

Wow, obscure ass thread.

https://www.wrestlingdata.com/index.php?befehl=konst&letter1=D&wrestler1=262&letter2=T&wrestler2=1115&letter3=&wrestler3=0&letter4=&wrestler4=0&matchtyp=0&anzeige=matches

Looks like most of their matches were from March 1992. They did wrestle at a tv taping in May 91

• 2 years later...

I was surfing the web and stumbled across this interesting factoid. During the steroid case in 94, Vince set up a contingency plan that would have Linda take control of the company as a whole with creative being headed by Jerry Jarrett. Now obviously Jarrett's reputation speaks for itself but I was surprised to see Vince pick such an old school wrasslin booker.