Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-01-15-JWP] Mayumi Ozaki & Dynamite Kansai vs Takako Inoue & Yumiko Hotta

Loss

The first three-quarters of this was very, very good. The girls focused on body parts, noticeably the backs of Inoue and Ozaki, and it really felt like a traditional tag match. Then, of course, they had to drop all of it for one of those hundred-moves-an-hour finishing runs that I've really grown to dislike over the course of the Yearbooks. Nobody bothered to sell, or even stay down for more than a few seconds, lest they miss their turn. I can see why a finish like this would be exciting for fans who haven't seen a lot of them, but after a while I just wished they'd have cut the sequence down to thirty seconds or a minute and let the match end already. I didn't even care who went over or how; just get the damn thing over with.

As bad as that was, it was the endless saves during that run that was the worst part. There were just too many, and they only served to kill just about every finishing move they could have possibly come up with. I got the feeling that if one of the girls pulled a knife and stabbed their nearest opponent in the chest, the other member of her team would have made the save at two out of habit. It's almost like they feel they have to go thirty minutes or more, even when logic dictates that they should stop at fifteen or twenty. American matches can sometimes be far too short for their own good, but Japanese matches can sometimes be too long for their own good, with no other reason in mind than going long.

Who was the guy in the picture Dynamite brought in during the postmatch? Whoever it was, Mayumi seemed overjoyed to see him.

• 1 year later...

Hahaha oh wow, Kansai and Hotta stepping up and just killing everybody was awesome. This followed that simplistic action -> hold, action -> hold ad nauseum formula a lot of early 90s joshi matches did because there was no extended selling or anything the result was largely mindess, but the restholds were pretty vicious and they kept dropping the bombs. I was still amazed that this never dragged altough it could have 10 minutes shaved off. The finishing run was something today's workers would probably get grilled over and they also hit those shitty dives, but it worked in the 90s cause things were heated and urgent.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-01-15-JWP] Mayumi Ozaki & Dynamite Kansai vs Takako Inoue & Yumiko Hotta
  • 2 years later...

I just have to say that the production value improvement over the last few months for JWP has been great.

Man, Hotta wanted to kick Kansai's ass so bad!!!!  She wanted her so bad, that it may have cost her the match.  She was even treating Ozaki as a complete scrub and a waste of time.  Takako, unfortunately, is the weak link here, and she gets her ass kicked.  Crowd is loving all the action in this match.  A few blown spots and Hotta's last save was shite, but otherwise I love this match.