Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-01-16-WWF-Superstars] Crush and Doink the Clown

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Crush exits the ring after making quick work of some jobber and Doink is at ringside with his arm in a sling. Doink goes to make amends and offers a flower and Crush blows him off. Doink then takes the cast off his arm (it was a fake) and repeatedly beats Crush with it until the referees (including Bill Alphonso) run him off. Sort of a violent heel beatdown by WWF standards of the time. Crush is unconscious and does a stretcher job. Great way to set Doink up as a wrestler.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Vince is incredulous about this. I like how they used to insert crowd reactions, until they started reusing them. I swear Kevin Dunn just had dozens of buttons marked "young girl scared" and "teenage boy booing" ready to use over and over.

Also, I've been watching Superstars eps from 92 and Slaughter semi-regularly was doing squash matches so kind of weird to see him in his "offical" suit-and-tie role.

• 1 year later...

Crush ain’t the smartest guy to turn his back on Doink like that. The fake arm in the a sling looked obvious. The beat down with the fake arm though looked vicious with Doink smashing Crush in the back of the head repeatedly. Wow. Crush is out cold and needs medical help.

• 4 months later...

Goofy WWF sportz-entertainment that suddenly turns deadly serious, as they go all-out to make Crush's injury look legit--almost to Vader/Cactus degrees. There was a lot to like about heel Doink but somehow I think he could have done even more to shake the WWF out of its doldrums. I would like to have seen the apparently originally planned feud between Doink and Davey Boy. This was a terrific segment.

• 3 months later...

After a Crush squash, Doink gives him a flower and attacks him with a fake arm. Savage already relegated to commentary not 2 months after Survivor Series. Bill Alfonso one of the refs breaking it up. They actually bring in EMTs for Crush. Pretty strong injury angle given the nature of the attack and placement on the card. I remain very excited to rewatch Doink & Bret throughout the year after hating on it back in the day.

• 10 months later...

We do have business suit Sgt. here. Really memorable angle which says a lot for a mid card feud that you can so vividly recollect 21 years later. For instance, I can tell you what Legacy was doing skit wise in 2009. Only part I didn't like about this was Vince trying to convince the crowd that Doink took his legit arm off which made no sense as you could see him using both to beat Crush up with the fake cast.

• 1 year later...

This may have been the sickest segment the WWF had aired since Jake's attack with the cobra on Savage. Too many people lump Borne's Doink in with the other crappy stuff of this era, and that's simply not true from what I've seen so far. This guy is bloodthirsty, vicious, and out to end careers. Even heel Lawler's subdued after seeing this, and who can blame him?

Yes, Vince claiming that Doink ripped his own arm off wouldn't fool a three year-old, but I actually think he meant to say the arm of the suit and got just a tad excited, as he's prone to do in chaotic situations like this.

They're already starting to build the Savage-Crush friendship that would lead to Crush's turn, as not only does Randy claim to know Crush well, but he constantly accuses Lawler of thinking that the attack was funny, even after Lawler says repeatedly that Doink had gone too far. I'm surprised that Lawler didn't try to make something out of it, quite frankly. Maybe if they'd been live in the arena instead of at Titan Towers, it could have kicked off an angle between them.

Sarge in a regular suit and tie will take some getting used to. I think they could have stood to get rid of Tunney and make him the one and only on-air authority figure, even if he had a little less gravitas than Tunney did.

Davey Boy-Doink? I'm not sure about that one. It would depend on how it started.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-01-16-WWF-Superstars] Crush and Doink the Clown
  • 1 month later...

This went on for a very long time, even cutting into Okerlund's Royal Rumble Report, showcasing how serious the situation was.

I like what they were going for and since Doink had been around for over 2 months without stepping foot in the ring, this succeeded in pushing him as a major threat to the good guys.

Vince must have saw Crush as a top tier player for 1993 which makes his heel turn in half a year so puzzling. In some ways he replaced Luger, but he must not have gotten over to the extent Vince wanted. 

On the other hand, Doink was on fire and ended up being paired with Bret Hart at Summerslam in his last big heel match. I assume the face turn came because he was connected with the crowds so much, but then of course they changed his entire character, added Dink, and he soon lost all of the momentum Bourne had built up. I wonder if face Doink would have worked if Bourne hadn't left...