Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-03-15-WWF-Raw] Nasty Boys vs Headshrinkers

Loss

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

This Raw was when Bartlett was pretending to be Vince, which was surprisingly awful the whole night (surprising only because lampooning Vince is the easiest thing in the world).

BUT It allowed Heenan and Monsoon to sort of be on the same side for the first side ever, and it had the most hilarious exchange.

Bartlett(as Vince): "Annnnd Backlund giving us the appearance of a younger, youthful Mickey Rooney."

Gorilla: "WHAT! I'm gonna knock him out."

Heenan: "Go ahead, I'll hold him!.. I've wanted to do that, and then I'll go through the pockets."

Gorilla: "Do you think there's anything in his pockets?"

Heenan: "Naaah. Let's just knock him out."

Monsoon: "Vince?.... He's gone. Brain dead."

Bartlett (as Vince):

Heenan: "Didn't you make an appointment for him on Thursday morning?"

Monsoon: "Absolutely."

Heenan: "With Who?"

Monsoon: "Dr. Kevorkian."

Bartlett (as Vince): "I don't know about that, Gorilla Monsoon."

Monsoon: "One visit will be sufficient."

Heenan: "Do you have one of those stun guns on you?"

Monsoon: "Oh, I wish I did."

Heenan: "Hey, you know, the funny thing is, this is the best Vince's been!"

And during this match, when they'd usually do the "Uncooked." "Uncut." "Uncensored."

Heenan: "What is it Vince?"

Bartlett (As Vince): "It's uncooked."

Heenan: "Uncooked."

Bartlett (As Vince): "and uncooked!"

I cracked up.

• 1 year later...

Gorilla mentions snow storm in area and history of WWE shows a four match card only with this being the longest match. Tickets must have been dirt cheap. Monsoon and Bartlett on the announce team. Even Heenan seems lost for words on Bartlett during this match. He was pretending to be Vince? I can’t remember who Nasty’s feuded with in all of 92. A move to WCW is for the best.

• 3 months later...

Not a great match, but decent enough. I was surprised at how intense the food fight was. It's not quite Tupelo at its peak but it was quite the little brawl. I'm almost ashamed of myself for actually laughing at Bartlett-Vince a couple of times, even though the deadly combo of Gorilla & Bartlett is just behind the team of any announcer & Jason Hervey for the Announce Team from Hell.

• 1 year later...

Shrinkers throw some nice superkicks. Its a fun flashback to see these acts do their thing, which is one of the real joys of the yearbooks. Match isn't anything so great, but the crowd seems pretty hot for it. Both Shrinkers, especially Fatu, are bumping well. Then it becomes a 1993 WWF version of the Memphis concession stand brawl and a double countout. Okay for what it was. Lots of condiment action.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

These guys were supposedly out on the floor doing crazy stuff during the break, and if I'd seen it, I'd have most likely thought much more of the match. As it was, what I saw was pretty blah for teams with the reputation of these four. Not even the concession stand stuff at the end could save it, although it was a noble effort.

I don't know if Bartlett's impression of Vince played a role in his eventual firing, but it sure as hell should have. The amazing thing is that we were actually expected to believe that this was the real Vince, not just Bartlett impersonating him. If that's the case, it was up to Bartlett to try and actually sound something like the man, even if he was going to goof on him. The reason Rich Little is such a great impressionist is that he actually sounds like the people he's doing; he's doing his jokes, but he's doing them as Jimmy Stewart or Jack Benny or whomever. He's not just sounding like a dipshit who hates his job and wants to be let go so he can get back to doing real work, like Bartlett does here.

Between the chaos of the match and trying to deal with Bartlett, Gino and Bobby were understandably a bit lost here. They need to be on different sides of the fence in order to be at their best, but Bartlett forced them to try to work together in an effort to overshadow him, and that's disastrous. About the only argument they got into was over whether Bobby would wear a toga at Mania or not. By the way, the ink must not have been dry on JR's contract quite yet, because it sure sounds like Gino's going to call Mania at this point.

So the Nasties were supposedly going to get the shot at Money Inc. that Hogan and Beefcake ended up with, huh? Considering that no one with a working brain and a knowledge of wrestling could have possibly thought that Hogan was coming back just to be a tag team champion, I wish they would have left that match alone and just had Hogan come out to challenge Yoko. Beefcake could have been in the Nasties' corner as a guest.

It's amazing that they could hold the Landon Awards during a blizzard. Then again, some of the celebrities involved may have been on a tight schedule and not able to come back to the New York area for a while. Did they really hope to show part of the ceremony live? I think I'd have rather watched the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1993-03-15-WWF-Raw] Nasty Boys vs Headshrinkers