Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-03-20-SMW-TV] Kevin Sullivan vs Yukihiro Kanemura

Loss

• 1 month later...

This is awesome! Kanemura is about to be interviewed when Sullivan blindsides him and just destroys him. The crowd is a mixture of laughter and horror. Kanemura never even gets in a shot and is a bloody mess. Sullivan ends up pulling out his spike for the DQ and just starts stabbing him with it as they put a big red x on the screen to try to censor this stuff. Dutch Mantell repeatedly calling Kanemura Kimura is humorous too.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Sullivan doesn't give a whole lot in the ring. This was nasty and a sight to watch with Kanemura getting lots of blood. He finally puts a couple moves together but Sullivan pulls out a spike to put an end to that. Sullivan timed that good. The stabbing of the arm was crazy and even with the censorship logo you could still see enough damage. Kanemura is a bloody mess on the floor after all of this. Whole thing puts Sullivan over as dangerous and crazy.

• 3 months later...

Really, uncomfortably sick. Not as good of a presentation as the butchering of Brian Lee, but they actually work a semi-match out of it with Kanemura even getting a comeback. Sullivan pulls a spike out of nowhere in a really well-done spot and goes to town on Kanemura's arm, after already busting him open to start. The big red "X" makes an appearance! Nightstalker is at ringside cutting people off with a chair, until Brian Lee takes him out and rescues Mr. Yamaguchi. Caudle & Dutch are excellent here, by the way, letting us in on the story of Victor Quinones talking about banning Sullivan from Japan and Mexico, hence Sullivan's attack.

• 2 months later...

I really thought Kevin Sullivan was going to end up as The Sheik of the 90's. I'd read about this in PWI and the rest of the Apter mags and longed to see it (much like the Killer Brooks bloodbaths in Global that ESPN wasn't showing). I finally saw it and it was just as violent and chaotic as I'd imagined.

I love the odd coincidence that both this and the Brian Lee Stabbing in November were both taped in Elementary School gyms.

• 11 months later...

One of the few SMW angles I vividly remember hearing about back in the day. Sullivan attacks when Caudle is attempting a pre-match interview. Kanemura is busted open right away and we've got blood splashing on fans as he has a gross cut above his eye. Loved the visual of disgust on a mother's face as her young kids look on from point blank range. Disgusted or not, that family isn't going anywhere. Sullivan is just ripping at Kanemura's face. Kanemura surprisingly gets a little comeback with kicks and chops, which ends when Sullivan spikes his arm out of nowhere. Digging the spike into his arm while TV censors it. Nighstalker prevents anyone from saving until Brian Lee is in and bails out Kanemura. Sick, sick angle. And AWESOME.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bob Caudle is about to interview Yukihiro Kanemura and Mr Yamaguchi when they are jumped by Kevin Sullivan. Kanemura is busted open within 30 seconds and Sullivan does a number on him. Violent, bloody and Kanemura is a mess. He has a brief hope spot where he whips Sullivan into the turnbuckles, charges in after him but Sullivan meets him with the spike. Sullivan stabs him in the arm (this looks pretty disgusting), before the big red censored cross makes an appearance on the screen to try and obscure the carnage. Mark Curtis does a fantastic job with his facials selling the attack and how gruesome this is. Sullivan starts gouging the spike into his arm and The Nightstalker comes out to stop anyone from helping Kanemura. Larry Santo, Jeff Daniels and another jobber who try to help all get clobbered with chairs while Mr Yamaguchi gets in the ring to try and pull Kanemura to safety. Brian Lee eventually runs out to make the save and gets the Japanese out of there.

• 8 months later...

There's not a whole lot else to say about this, except that there was one person crazier than Sully: Kanemura. No truly sane man blades like that for any angle, exclamation point. This didn't need the spike to the arm to be sickening; the blade job from the head was more than enough.

Also, this automatically disqualifies Corny once and for all from complaining about hardcore wrestling. I don't remember more than a handful of ECW matches that were bloodier or more senselessly brutal than this. If I'd been a station owner and had time to preview this tape and saw this match on it, I'd have found a movie to air in SMW's place, with a stern warning that next time Corny tried this bullshit, the switch would be permanent. What we as loyal longtime wrestling fans can appreciate as a brilliant exhibition of just how bloodthirsty Sully is, those who may be new to the sport or are just flipping through the channels will most likely be sickened by. As a station owner, there's no way I'd offend the second group to keep the first happy. There just aren't enough people like us, not now and not in 1993.

Bob may have been legitimately horrified, which made his call all the better. I loved him imploring Dutch to go down and stop the massacre, and for one of the few times in my life I wish the word "fuck" could be said on television, because instead of the stuff about not breaking his contract I'd have loved Dutch to simply ask Bob, "Are you fuckin' crazy?"

Nice move by Lee to simply get everyone out of harm's way instead of confronting Sully right then and there. Not only does it save their interaction for the house shows, but it's the logical thing to do when one guy's bleeding out and the other's too small to defend himself, especially against a madman like Sully.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldnt worry what the station owners or program directors' reactions. That was somebody else's problem. Plus, having spent a good deal of time in broadcasting, I can tell you that those guys are the scum of the earth. If the sales team could sell ad time for mules farting the Pledge of Allegiance, they'd run it.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-03-20-SMW-TV] Kevin Sullivan vs Yukihiro Kanemura