Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-05-24-WWF-Raw] Mr Perfect vs Doink the Clown

Loss

• 2 months later...

This was a hell of a match. The Doink gimmick is already pretty awesome, but when you combine that he wrestles like a 1970s heel, it makes the gimmick even better because there's this entire other dimension to it. Matt Borne is really awesome here. I love that almost all of his wrestling is skillful matwork. The gimmick seemed like Wrestlecrap stuff at the time, but in retrospect, it may have been too sophisticated for wrestling. Perfect wins by pinning the second Doink, who switches places with the original Doink.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Doink was such a fun character, especially with Heenan on commentary. There were Double Doink shennanigans at the end. Before that there was a nice technical match. Both worked over a body part and the selling was good. Plus it was given full length.

I can't remember if it's this one, or one of the previous two matches, but Doink does one of my favourite sell-jobs ever. Perfect had been working on the leg, then Doink takes over, I think Perfect ends up on the floor, and Doink limps over to the apron, then collapses on his bad wheel, and looks at the camera with this maniacal smile. It's like, he knows his body is falling apart, but doesn't give a shit so long as he gets to keep dishing out the punishment.

• 7 months later...

All these Perfect matches from 93 seem to have a intro segment based around his towel. One of the better WWF matches so far. Doink was great here. Loved him just throwing wild kicks and punches from all types of angles. Pretty decent stuff on the mat between the two also. Looking back the Doink character had big possibilities but it was going to be tough to not avoid being lumped in with all the other silly gimmicks WWF was putting out there.

• 1 month later...

I thought Perfect's victory over the second Doink came a little easy, but this was well-worked and surprisingly vicious before that. Perfect, even if he's weak offensively, sure knows how to work over a leg and Doink responds by tearing apart Perfect's arm like he's an Anderson, even tossing in the hammerlock bodyslam. Heenan's stumbling justifications after the match are really funny, from insisting there's only one Doink to "he beat the wrong Doink!" to "it was wrong for him to beat Doink!" Crush is as useless as ever during his run-in.

• 1 year later...

Doink attacks before the bell, then soils Perfect's towel. Nice legwork by Perfect with a spinning toe hold and posting the knee. The whole Doink character and costume are pretty out there but he really nails the act. Doinks trade places when #1 hits the floor, but #2 immediately takes a Perfectplex for the pin. The pair attack Perfect afterwards before Crush is out for the save. More engaging and interesting than a lot of Perfect's work from this time, but I don't seem to be as big a fan as some others.

**3/4

• 3 weeks later...

I go back and forth between this and Perfect vs. Flair as the best match on Raw so far and actually the WWF MOTY up to this point. The hokey Doink stuff worked and his arm work here was done with some great vicious work. Perfect reached back into his AWA selling days which was nice to see too. Finish came to easy after the switch a roo. ***1/2

• 1 year later...

Awesome match. Doink's stooging and viciousness was entertaining to watch and Perfect was a good foil. I'm not a huge fan of face Perfect, but there was great chemistry here as Doink was so easy to despise.

The finish with the two Doinks and Crush makes me wish they had run with the two Doinks as an actual tag team. Whether this was Keirn or Lombardi, they totally dove into the part with the same fantastic mannerisms.

Love heel Doink.

• 3 months later...

This is the best match in the short history of ​Raw so far. I don't know where these two got their chemistry from, but I'd have much rather seen Perfect-Doink than Perfect-Michaels as a long-term feud, and I'd sure rather have seen Perfect-Doink than Crush-Doink. The only thing I found wrong was that they used the double Doinks in a match where Doink was going to lose. They should have had them steal the win from Curt and go to the pay-per-view. I'm pretty sure that Bret-Curt is going to be a classic, but giving Doink a pay-per-view win in the first round and a close match with Bret before losing in the semis would have elevated the character even further.

The limbwork was tremendous, and I loved Curt reaching back into his AWA days for the Indian deathlock (which Vince, predictably, refused to call by name). Borne did some great stuff with Curt's arm, and I loved Vince having a fit over the use of the hammerlock slam, which the Andersons have made commonplace in the NWA/WCW over the years.

The commentary was a mixed bag. Vince was all right as long as he didn't have to call moves, and Heenan was a riot trying to defend and explain Doink at the same time, with so many great lines it's impossible to list them all. Savage was a disappointment; I could understand him cheering for Curt, but he really didn't do much to get the clownish aspects of Doink over. In fact, he seemed offended that Doink would clown at all in an important match. That's what he does, Randy; he's a clown, and he doesn't need to stop being one just because he's in a wrestling ring. In fact, it's the clownish mannerisms and sick laughter while the match is going on that really put the menace into the character. You'd think that someone with a reputation as a borderline psychopath who used any psychological advantage he could get would appreciate that, but you'd be wrong.

Randy showed promise in the booth at first, but now he's starting to sound more and more like his promos, which is a terrible thing for a color guy. Unfortunately, there isn't anyone who's ready to take his place except Lawler, and having Lawler and Heenan on the program at the same time would be heel overkill.

Lines of the Night go to Heenan for "He beat the wrong Doink!" and its cousin "It was wrong to beat Doink!" I don't know if Heenan and Doink would have been a good manager-wrestler fit or not, but you can tell that Bobby really likes the character by how he talks about him on the air.

Watching this has inspired me to check out the other two KOTR qualifiers between these two in previous weeks. If they're half as good as this one, at least one of them should have made the set.

• 8 months later...

Heenan managing Doink is not something I had ever thought of before, but I think that would have been classic!

Mr. Perfect vs Doink The Clown - RAW 5/24/93 KOTR Qualifying Match

I remember loving this match five years ago and I loved again. I am a total heel Doink mark. Just a fantastic character. Very evil clown, very evil. Vince sounds like Trump in this. Borne was so great technically. Loved the towel gimmick at the beginning with Doink taking cheapshots and then Doink gets cocky and Perfect clothesline him with the towel. The duel limb psychology was great. Doink was fantastic at selling the leg and working the arm. I thought there was some points where it dragged. But the finish was hot. I thought they worked hard. I really liked when Doink did a fireman's carry but didn't get up too fast, Perfect just grabbed a headscissors. That's just PERFECT! If someone is going to linger, make em pay. Great shit. Loved Doink's selling in all this comical but putting over the damage too. The Double Doink was finish was cute, but there should have been one false finish for Double Doink maybe a missed Whoopie Cushion would make sense, but I think short and sweet was the way to go. Perfectplex wins it and Perfect is on his way to KOTR where he would face the Hitman in a classic in the semifinals. Great TV match! ***3/4

• GSR changed the title to [1993-05-24-WWF-Raw] Mr Perfect vs Doink the Clown