Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-07-18-WCW-Beach Blast] Ric Flair vs Barry Windham

Loss

• 2 months later...

Last few minutes. Disappointing match, and the last time we'd ever see Windham remotely resembling the Windham of old. I'm sure WCW wanted a great match here, and maybe we would have gotten one if Windham wasn't working hurt. Even in the spots we do see, he's very obviously favoring his knee when running the ropes. Plus, the finish is botched pretty badly. Flair wins his "10th" world title, although he was probably ahead of that at this point.

• 1 year later...

The match is actually pretty damn good, but Windham blows away Flair here, blown out knee or not. Flair is on autopilot, gets sloppy on occasion, and just doesn't look like anything special, rather an old guy going through his signature spots. Windham is the one who keeps the match moving, and it's a shame they fucked the finish, it could have been a very good match in the end. Flair's post match promo is good, but I'm not impressed with his comeback so far.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No heat here for anything, until Flair gets the figure four locked in. The action we see is actually pretty good, considering Windham was working on one leg, and I liked his desperate attempts to fight off the figure four. Flair eventually puts it on, and then the finish that I still have no clue what to make of.

Very Flair-by-numbers victory promo. Flair by numbers is still good, but man oh man does he need something to focus on at this point.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

This felt rushed and unremarkable, even if Barry was working with a bad knee. I'm not sure if Barry getting pinned in the figure four was the planned finish or not, but regardless, it felt like "That's it? That's all there is?" They'd have been better off stripping Barry of the belt and running a tournament with Flair as the winner.

Jesse gets points for still looking good in tie-dye at his age. He sounded for a minute like he was going to do some age jokes on Flair, but wisely thought better of it.

I've been getting further and further down on Flair as a promo the further I go with him into the nineties, and this one sounded pretty bad. He's not the cool, cocky cat that we'd like to think he is anymore, if he ever was. He's just another blowhard who mistakes volume for substance and bug-eyes for intensity. Arn's a hell of a lot better than he is, and has been for five or six years now. He wasn't godawful here, just predictable and overemotional. Considering the reputation he has, though, that's a mighty steep comedown. The only good thing about this interview was that it planted the first real seed of the Flair-Vader program.

I noticed that even though Tony was careful not to overhype the idea of Flair as a ten-time World champion in order to protect Vader and the WCW World title, Gary Cappetta gave him the full "THE World Heavyweight Champion" treatment. Granted, his announcement would have been lacking something if he'd just said "NWA Heavyweight Champion", but I'm surprised he got away with making Flair and Vader equals, if only for a brief moment.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-07-18-WCW-Beach Blast] Ric Flair vs Barry Windham