Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-07-24-SMW-TV] Tracy Smothers vs Brian Lee / Interview: Brian Lee & Tammy Fytch

Loss

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I like that Smothers downfall was that even with his title on the line he was going to do his best to spank Tammy. Might not what to sit there and wait for crowd approval though. We get a interesting finish where Smothers hits an atomic drop on Lee who has his momentum bounce him off the ropes and comes back with the armed fist.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Lee charges at Smothers who moves and he goes crashing into referee Mark Curtis who falls out of the ring. Dropkick from Smothers who covers Lee, but he then spots Fytch climbing into the ring. She goes to spray him in the face with some hairspray, but he grabs her arm and in the process she throws her handbag towards Lee. He takes a glove from the bag and puts it on his hand. Smothers puts Fytch over his knee ready to spank her but Lee stops him. He takes a swing at Tracey who ducks, gives Lee an atomic drop and as he rebounds off the ropes he clocks Smothers with the glove. Fytch rolls Curtis back into the ring and we have a new Heavyweight champion.

Dressing room interview and the interviewer questions them about the black glove that they pulled out of the handbag. Fytch denies this and says they beat Smothers fair and square. She says now that she has the Heavyweight championship, she is now the first Lady of Smoky Mountain Wrestling and will be making some changes round here (Lee and Fytch are both very proud of themselves here and in full on gloating mode).

• 6 months later...

I'm watching this a tad out of order, but I wanted to see how Tammy did as a ringside manager, and she was fantastic here. Not only did she do a great job on the finish, but she seemed really into the match beforehand, which isn't always the case with females at ringside. She also showed some strength when she rolled Curtis back into the ring for the final pin count, which is something I've seldom seen a woman do.

I fully agree with those who say that Lee's a hundred and eighty degrees better as a promo as a heel. His spiel isn't new by any means, but it's such an improvement over his face mic work that it feels fresh. I loved Tammy making her part of the interview all about herself; she's not even paying lip service to the idea that Brian makes a move without her. Even the line aboiut Hillary being President sounds less like a delusion and more like a way to rub female power in the face of male chauvinist pgs everywhere. You go, Tammy!

I understand that you can't really threaten a woman with violence in 1993, but the spanking spot never looks good, even when the babyface pulls it off. You know damn well he's barely touching her, and the whole thing looks ludicrous. At least Brian saved us from seeing it here.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-07-24-SMW-TV] Tracy Smothers vs Brian Lee / Interview: Brian Lee & Tammy Fytch