Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-08-18-WCW-Clash of Champions XXIV] Steve Austin & Steven Regal vs Arn Anderson & Paul Roma

Loss

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Pillman on crutches, what a familiar picture. The match is a short sprint, and it's better than the Horsemen vs Blondes match from the previous PPV because it's better paced. What a sad way to go for the Blondes. Regal is already a top 5 wrestler in the company a few weeks after debuting the Lord Steven gimmick.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Total fiasco and a complete letdown of an ending to the Hollywood Blonds run. In the Observers leading up to this, Dave was more or less counting the days until a walkout or an injury or a firing led to disaster due to the mass Disney tapings, and it didn't take long for that prophecy to be fulfilled. Roma hitting Austin with the stungun was a clever touch, and the action we see is good. Even Roma looked sharp here.

I can't believe they were using the name "Pretty Paul Roma" for a babyface.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Not bad for a shotgun title change.

If they'd wanted to team Austin and Regal on a regular basis based on what we saw here, I wouldn't have minded. Much like Austin and Doc back in '92, they seemed like a solid team for never having teamed before, and Dundee was great as a disturber and interferer.

I'll have to watch a full match of Arn and Roma to see how I like them as a team, but Roma looked good here, especially with that flash dropkick to Austin. I'm wondering how much of the "LOL Paul Roma" sentiment was due to the fact that Tully's return was explicitly promised and Roma was thrown in at the last minute.

Jesse was dead on concerning Arn holding the tights, but Tony never acknowledged it, probably because the Clash (as usual) was fast-paced to the point of being dizzying. I also liked him pointing out how Arn chasing Dundee cost Roma at least one nearfall. Even at this relatively late stage, the Bod's still got it.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-08-18-WCW-Clash of Champions XXIV] Steve Austin & Steven Regal vs Arn Anderson & Paul Roma