Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-08-18-WCW-Clash of Champions XXIV] Vader vs Davey Boy Smith

Loss

• 3 months later...

This was an excellent match, probably Davey Boy's best WCW match. The hang time on the vertical suplex on the ramp is amazing. These two also match up well offensively. I liked Slamboree, but this was much better, plus the Cactus run-in post match was awesome.

• 1 year later...

Agreed, better than Slamboree. Davey Boy was clicking with Vader pretty good, was a trooper in term of taking Vader's offense (yeah, I'm looking at you Shawn), did some great legit feature of strenght (which I love and doesn't happen that much), showed good timing and execution. Some of his best work ever. And I loved his look back then with the dreadlocks and tassles, he was pretty funky.

• 11 months later...

This title bout had some intrigue as Davey had the power to represent a credible threat. The suplex on the ramp was really impressive. Generally decent action with a couple of minor execution mishaps from the Bulldog. Screwy finish never helps and it could've done with more time.

• 3 months later...

The ramp suplex spot came way too early in match. They go from intros to commercial break to fighting on the ramp. Suplex on Vader looked great but that was going to be hard to follow up that high. They continue to ask too much of Race when he has to do physical interference spots in the ring. Cactus makes a big return from Cleveland to attack Vader.

• 3 weeks later...

DQ rule waived--the title changes on a disqualification. Jesse has a bizarre fixation on how this can "backfire" for Davey Boy--if he gets disqualified, he doesn't get the title either. Schiavone and I are completely baffled as to how that's different from any other match. Much tighter bout than Slamboree, and while that was a hell of a match this is better. The best Davey Boy singles performance that I've seen, as he's so much more "on" here than at SummerSlam '92. Great power spots and some great agility shown as well. Screwy finish, but the return of Cactus Jack makes up for it.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

DQ rule waived--the title changes on a disqualification. Jesse has a bizarre fixation on how this can "backfire" for Davey Boy--if he gets disqualified, he doesn't get the title either. Schiavone and I are completely baffled as to how that's different from any other match.

I think Jesse meant he could have pushed for a no-DQ match, removing the possibility of Vader OR himself getting disqualified.

• 5 months later...

I didn't like this at all.

First, this was in no way, make, shape, form, or fashion a better Davey Boy performance than SummerSlam '92. He was squashed like a bug here with the exception of a few power spots that ultimately meant nothing in the grand scheme of things. Sure, he's a powerful guy. Big deal. Vader had his way with him for ninety percent of the match, and the one time he had a convincing nearfall, Patrick was knocked out. This wasn't a contest at all. Even Harley looked better than Davey did as far as that went; his kneedrop is still a killer even after almost four years of retirement.

Honestly, as much as I hate DQ run-ins, we'd have been better off if Mick had come down a few seconds earlier and saved Davey from being pinned. At least then Davey could have still had an issue with Vader that would have kept him semi-relevant. As it was, Bischoff's investment is now totally ruined; no one will ever buy Davey as a serious World title contender again in WCW, if they ever did in the first place. I don't know what was left for him with Vince when he jumped, but it's probably about the same thing as he'll have now: a lucrative but almost certainly meaningless stint in the midcard.

I also had an issue with how short this was. Twelve minutes isn't enough time for the type of match that needed to happen here. Those suplexes on the outside should have led to a long stretch of Davey in control and several close nearfalls. As it was, they had no time for anything like that, so we went right to Vader dominance and never really got off of it. There's no law that says the World title match has ​to go on last, especially if you're on a strict two-and-a-half hour schedule. Budget out the time you think you'll need from announcements to finish (about twenty-five minutes should have done the trick) and slot the match accordingly. Michael Buffer can add a lot to a match when used correctly, but not if the viewers are sitting at home saying, "Come on, Buffer, hurry up! We only have twelve minutes left in the show!"

I need to be clear about one thing: In no way am I saying that Davey's suplexes on the outside (don't forget the one where he propelled Vader over the railing) weren't impressive, but they should have been better used to tell the story of the match instead of basically being throwaways. (I should have put this up top, but I just now realized that I was probably too harsh on Davey and wanted to soften the blow a tiny bit.)

I think Jesse had trouble with the idea that a DQ could cost a champion his title, but he shouldn't have; he was around when Vince ran this exact type of match as Orndorff and Hogan's second trip around the horn back in '86. The sequence went like this, if I recall correctly: 1) A regular match. 2) If they went with a Hogan DQ loss, the DQ rule was waved in the next bout. If they went with a Hogan countout loss, same with the countout rule. If they went with an Orndorff DQ loss, they had a tag match featuring the guy that had interfered on Paul's behalf, usually Adonis so Hogan could team with Piper. 3) The steel cage blowoff.

I wonder if the knee injury Davey suffered may have been legit; Tony and Jesse mentioned it a few times, but Vader never really worked on it during the match, although Harley dropped a knee on it afterward.

Jesse looked good in the WCW Home Video commercial. Too bad WCW was about eight years late in releasing tapes other than pay-per-views.

No major moments on commentary; there was barely enough time to call the match, let alone make any true observations about it.

• 4 months later...

WCW World Heavyweight Champion Vader vs British Bulldog - WCW Clash of the Champions XXIV

Vader has looked amazing in 1993. His punches were absolutely ferocious. Liked the shine happening out on the ramp and Smith really taking it right to Vader. The suplex on the ramp was a great spot. The slingshot splash and Vader just coming out firing was nasty. Again it was Vader was feeding Bulldog those hope spots like the railing but then Vader came back with some HUGE VADER BODY ATTACKS! Vader is really great at using his body weight. Bulldog is fine in this again, but Vader is doing all the heavy lifting. I really don't have too much to say about this which weird for me. I thought it was about as good as Slamboree. Vader looked incredible hell they should have just let him pin the muthafucka clean with the Vaderbomb it is not like they needed Bulldog again (well I guess Wargames). Bulldog is such a weird fit for WCW. Looking back now, Vader was a terrible fit for the soft WWF style that forced heels to use restholds. No restholds in these WCW matches, Vader just unleashes pain. Once Hogan came in, the WWF-ication of WCW's main event scene happened. Vader's best bet was to work NJPW or AJPW from 1996 on. Though Vader in ECW would have been interesting. This is a good match. Nothing that will change your world. if you are Vader fan, check it out just to see him kick major league ass. ***

• GSR changed the title to [1993-08-18-WCW-Clash of Champions XXIV] Vader vs Davey Boy Smith