Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-08-23-WWF-Raw] Interview: Jerry Lawler / Interview: Bret Hart

Loss

• 3 months later...

Lawler does an interview with an Elvis impersonator and they make jokes about Helen Hart's age.

Bret responds by saying Lawler has crossed the line with his insults about the Hart family and does a great fired up promo to hype Summerslam.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

I hated Lawler's promo. He doesn't really seem to be taking the match seriously, and his cousin Wayne Ferris does a much better Elvis than the poor sap they had trading jokes with him. I much prefer the Memphis side of the feud to this; Lawler's in his element, Bret's a much better invading heel than Lawler, and Vince is actively involved and doing great pre-Mr. McMahon heel promos. Here, Lawler's side of the ffeud is treated like a minor speed bump for Bret on the way to better things.

Bret's promo was short, sweet and fiery. Not awe-inspiring, but plenty good enough for what it was, especially the part where he promised to mutilate Lawler, which he hasn't done in Memphis yet. I hope we see Stu and Helen, although Stu always looks like he doesn't quite know what to do with himself at a WWF pay-per-view.

I've watched all the USWA promos leading up to their two big matches except for one, and I've noticed that while they've mentioned SummerSlam in passing, they're not promoting it at all. There's no "Call your cable operator and see the King try to take Bret out twice in two days" or anything like that. I understand wanting to set your own match up as the ultimate confrontation in most instances, but to all but ignore what by any measure is the bigger of the two bouts coming up between the two men is baffling at best and inexcusable at worst (unless, of course, you're Lawler, know you're losing, and don't want your fans to see Bret kick your ass from Auburn Hills to Canada). By the way, I honestly don't remember the result of the SummerSlam match, so if I'm wrong, don't tell me; I want to see it unfold for myself.

Nice to see JR on ​Raw​; was this a live show? If it was, we know Vince was at the MSC tripping Lawler from ringside. I'm surprised he'd miss a live ​Raw ​just to do that, though.

EDITED TO ADD: He didn't; this was a one-hour rerun of their annual SummerSlam preview show which had aired in full the night before, not a ​Raw. ​No wonder Vince was free.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-08-23-WWF-Raw] Interview: Jerry Lawler / Interview: Bret Hart