Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-09-24-NJPW-G1 Climax Special] Keiji Muto vs Hiroshi Hase

Loss

• 4 months later...

If you aren't a Muto fan, you'll love this match, as it's Hase systematically destroying him for much of it. Muto just comes back at some point and stops selling everything, which stinks because the atmosphere and drama are strong, and Hase was giving an inspired performance. Even in spite of that, the action and close calls down the final stretch are great, and Hase steers the match back in the right direction. Muto is really good here too, he just had a few momentary lapses. The match is not "My turn, your turn" at all -- they stick to the overall theme of Hase being the aggressor, which is nice. Muto's inverted counter to the uranage is awesome, so is his barrage of headbutts to come back. Muto winning after taking all that punishment dragged this down a little for me, but still an excellent match, one of the better NJ singles matches of the year.

• 2 years later...

Continuing on from the G1, this time period was the pinnacle of Hase's career.

They went 27m here and gave it everything they had. Plenty of pure wrestling to enjoy as they worked the mat extensively. Both were highly proficient in this area and had me engrossed. Because of the focus the match felt quite epic as it progressed. Near the end I was going to tag this as very good with a couple of minor issues. There was an outside segment that felt out of place and then a short spell in the stretch when they lost cohesion. Then BOOM! Mutoh nails this ridiculously awesome Judo throw I've never seen from him, follows it up with two Dragon Suplexes and then the moonsault. A thrilling ending that had me jumping out of my seat! That certainly ratcheted the rating up. Excellent showing from both men in a match that reminded me of Hase vs Liger 5/6/91.

• 2 months later...

Mutoh's leg sweep while blocking a Uranage was so nasty looking. What a counter. The rolling Dragon suplexes were just as rough. One of those is enough to take on your neck but Hase eats two of them. Much better from Mutoh. Only silliness from him really was the cartwheel elbow attempt outside where he hit the railing. Hase was getting the better out of Mutoh for good portion of match. It really has been an excellent couple months from Hase though and gets even more appreciation from the crowd after the match.

• 2 weeks later...

This is basically Hase wrestling a broomstick for about 22 minutes, if broomsticks were capable of throwing great dropkicks. Muto finally steps up his game by countering the uranage with a judo takedown that's about the most awesome thing he's ever done. Fantastic overall bout, as Hase continues to establish himself as being every bit as good as the AJPW Four Corners as a heavyweight worker.

• 1 year later...

A match I struggled with as Hase really did a great job of twisting around and doing a multitude of different things to make things interesting but Muto wasn't there to add much except some flash and to really run through the finishing stretch. Hase feels like one of the best workers of the world right now and is really rising up my ranks every time I see him. One of these matches where the match overall isn't great but HE is great in this. ***1/2

• 1 year later...

I must have missed this judo throw some of you are talking about. All I saw was Hase deciding to faint dead away out of a clear blue sky at a random point near the finish so Muta could hit the moonsault to win. Even if it happened, it must have been pretty weak not to have made an impression, and I have no intention of rewatching the match just to see it.

I really hated this, mostly because Hase did such a great job destroying Muta's knee with the figure four and the scorpion, only for Muta to not register it at all and execute his offense as if he was fresh out of the locker room. I have no idea why a few of you thought this was epic or anything close to it; once Muta (in case you're wondering, I call him Muta whether or not he wears the paint; it's easier that way) decided to ignore what should have been the story of the match, I was turned off for good. The fact that he hit the moonsault seemingly out of nowhere just because that was the finish was the final straw.

I have to admit one small thing that impressed me: the submission holds that both men applied while bridging with their necks. It must have taken a ton of strength to hold those bridges and apply the submissions at the same time.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-09-24-NJPW-G1 Climax Special] Keiji Muto vs Hiroshi Hase
  • 2 years later...

This struggled to connect with me. I’m not sure if it was Muto not being the most interesting of guys on the roster as far as I’m concerned or Hase’s work on the leg but I found this kinda boring. Hase’s work on the leg was decent and consistent throughout. I dug Hase’s different version of the Muta Lock with the arm hooks. Muto, to his credit, was able to milk the drama and create a great atmosphere to work off. I liked his brief comebacks, including a wicked judo throw but his selling of the leg was missing. There is a ton to like but I wasn’t fully into it. **1/2