Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-10-09-AJW-Wrestlemarinepiad] Dynamite Kansai vs Toshiyo Yamada

Loss

• 4 months later...

Well, I was expecting some awesome kicking with these two and I wasn't let down. Nice matwork too, with Yamada as the underdog working from underneath. Really has an aggressive, old school feel but still feels modern for the times. It's like a more advanced version of the Nakano/Masami match in that you have two wrestlers in their physical prime still adding lots of nice touches and building a really sound match.Kansai does a great Yokozuna-style build to being taken off her feet by Yamada's kicks. Classic match I never hear anything about, yet another great match under the belt of Kansai in 1993!

(Kansai should be in the Most Outstanding Wrestler conversation for the year. At least on this yearbook, she's ahead of Hokuto.)

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dynamite may or may not be the best worker in joshi/the world, but she may be my favorite at least for this year. She's everything I prefer about the JWP style--slower, more familiar, but with stiff intense work and big build to the finish. Lots of kicks, of course, but these two look like they could go all night, selling the struggle to maintain any advantage or for Yamada to overcome the bigger Kansai.

• 1 year later...

This concluded a 3 match AJW vs JWP singles series on the show. Kyoko had upset Devil and Toyota had downed Oz. So it was up to Dyno to regain some pride for her promotion. That she was able to do after this tough encounter.

This wasn't just a kicking contest, the strikes were a component of the match rather than the focus. It was mat based and quite restrained for the most part. They slowly built it up and had a hard fought battle. Kansai always seemed the likely victor. Certainly good stuff, though I wouldn't go much above that. The electric exchanges that they had during the tags had set a high bar, and the magic wasn't there like before.

• 1 year later...

This started slow, but picked up a bit toward the end. I kind of knew that Dynmite would win this somehow, but in spite of that some of Yamada's nearfalls toward the end were compelling anyway.

Dynamite's Razor's Edge powerbomb looked vicious. If Hall had used it he'd have probably killed or crippled someone with it, as big as he was.

That last kick Dynamite threw should have probably been enough to put Yamada away, as she (Yamada) didn't look like she was moving at all afterward. Both women threw some of the more forceful kicks this side of shoot-style; one of Dynamite's early in the match looked hard enough to knock out some of Yamada's teeth, and from the way Yamada sold it I thought it had.

Is it my imagination or is the STF not that big a deal in Japan by now? It's supposed to be this killer move that no one gets out of, yet almost everyone it's applied to lately makes it to the ropes.

Yamada's submission where she stretched Dynamite's leg over her head looked brutal. I've seen the hold before, but most people don't apply it for as long as she did here.

• 3 months later...

What a great match. A ton of precision strikes but also some slick matwork and progression to build in. The context of the JWP vs AJW series really helped build the drama at the end for me as it seemed like Yamada had the match won multiple times but Kansai was able to reach down and fight back. Kansai is having a tremendous 1993. ****

• GSR changed the title to [1993-10-09-AJW-Wrestlemarinepiad] Dynamite Kansai vs Toshiyo Yamada