Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-11-06-WCW-Saturday Night] Steve Austin and Col. Robert Parker

Loss

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Parker has a court injunction prohibiting "Psycho Sid" (as he calls him) from coming within 50 feet of him. Meanwhile, Flyin' Brian earned his nickname because he can't hit any harder than a fruit fly. Austin cuts a better promo, running down and putting over Pillman at the same time. Steve does his best to save this angle, but the Blonds deserved a better climax more befitting of their Hollywood image.

• 2 years later...

What kind of promo is it when Colonel Parker makes more sense than Austin? Fuller reached back into the Tennessee Stud's book of quotations for the line about Pillman hitting no harder than a fruit fly, and that line was the best of the segment hands down.

Meanwhile, if Pillman's a great wrestler and the toughest man you've ever known outside of yourself, Steve, why did you turn on him? Austin never really answers that question, because his supposed "reason" (Brian not being available when Austin and Regal lost the belts) is clearly not true. Pillman was right there at ringside, albeit with an injured foot. Also, Steve, if you're as great as you claim, shouldn't you have been able to adjust to a new partner, especially one as skilled as Regal?

Seriously, the loss of the belts happened too long ago to really be an issue. They needed to create an entirely new reason for this feud, and as I said before Fuller's mere presence in Austin's life was plenty good enough. How Dusty whiffed on such a ready-made angle is beyond me. Even using the real-life reason for the breakup (Austin wants to go it alone, since he feels he's the bigger star) would have been better than what we got.

So it was Fuller who first used the name "Psycho Sid", huh? Talk about being able to tell the future! I don't know what happened to turn Fuller and Sid on each other, but I can't wait to find out. I also wouldn't mind seeing a match between Sid and Austin, if one exists out there.

• 3 months later...

I'm still not buying the reasons here and it really feels like they just broke them up to push Austin up the card all of a sudden but then we know they got cold feet on that as well. Parker and Austin should work as a duo but they didn't have much chemistry here.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-11-06-WCW-Saturday Night] Steve Austin and Col. Robert Parker