Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-12-18-WCW-Saturday Night] Music Video: Ric Flair

Loss

• 4 months later...

Gene does a great job narrating a video recapping Flair's history in world title matches and at previous Starrcades. They interview some basketball coach Mike Fratello who compares Flair to Michael Jordan and also speak to a player for the Cleveland Cavaliers. Love the low-key build. We wrap up with Charles Barkley throwing his support for Flair in a cool moment.

• 1 year later...

They interview some basketball coach Mike Fratello who compares Flair to Michael Jordan and also speak to a player for the Cleveland Cavaliers.

What the fuck ?

I thought this segment was pretty disapointing. They could have edited a cool and epic video for Flair. Instead you got Gene talking about WWF and a basketball coach. What ? Not good.

• 1 year later...

They highlight some of Flair's previous matches from Starrcade. I like that they even mention Flair going to WWF, by name, and winning their title twice. Good video but with Ric's career on the line they could have put forth an even better video. They get some NBA guys to discuss match and they ramble on. I would have preferred more clips of Flair.

• 1 month later...

Jesse's crocodile tears were kind of amusing. This is a weird piece all around, coming off like an introductory video, as though Flair were appearing in a new territory, rather than a career retrospective, and mentioning the WWF. Comments from noted wrestling experts Mike Fratello and Brad Daugherty of the Cavaliers, and Charles Barkley who at least is an established Flair buddy.

• 2 years later...

Turner had then (and still has today) a huge contract to televise NBA games, so NBA players talking about Flair was mostly a case of coroporate synergy, although I think Daugherty has been mentioned a few times as a real-life friend of Flair's.

I was shocked that they mentioned the WWF by name too, especially when Vince wasn't yet extending the same courtesy. But mentioning it was one thing; adding their title reigns in as part of Flair's overall record was truly mind-blowing. Great job, guys!

The only other Starrcade they could have shown was '84 (when he beat Dusty) so I wasn't too upset about the lack of wrestling clips. They showed the important one for this feud ('83) complete with original commentary, and I'm content with that.

I loved Jesse at the beginning of the segment. He's a heel supporter right or wrong, even when the opposing face is a favorite of his too, like Flair is. He's consistent, I'll say that for him!

• 1 year later...

I liked this video. It is possible that some were unaware of the lineage of Flair. The only thing that was odd is that they couldn't decide at points whether this was Flair's last grasp of glory or if he was in the prime of his career. The name drop of WWF was interesting. Charles gave some good words of encouragement along with the czar.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-12-18-WCW-Saturday Night] Music Video: Ric Flair