Pro Wrestling Only

TNA finally sends Jeff Hardy home after ruining PPV main event

Bix

Guest Paul Kersey

They really need to make that sounds a lot more like a refund. It's mind-blowing not only that they had a main eventer in thsi shapw, but that they even let this get into the ring. Just about anything else they could have come up with would have been a better save. I'm starting to wonder if Gene Wilder & Zero Mostel are booking.

Is it too easy to have a going "LOL TNA" thread? I'm hoping the spoilers are wording it wrong, but

To get a match for the Lockdown PPV, Kurt Angle threatens to kill his ex-wife and her new husband?

if that's correct, that's messed up on about 6 levels. I'm not going to watch impact to hear the actual wording of it.

Apparently there's also a segment with Pope performing "miracles" as well. I didn't know how long they went without making the gimmick an actual religious one. It's kind of a shame, because a year ago he looked like a possible breakout guy, which God knows they needed.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it too easy to have a going "LOL TNA" thread? I'm hoping the spoilers are wording it wrong, but

To get a match for the Lockdown PPV, Kurt Angle threatens to kill his ex-wife and her new husband?

if that's correct, that's messed up on about 6 levels. I'm not going to watch impact to hear the actual wording of it.

Apparently there's also a segment with Pope performing "miracles" as well. I didn't know how long they went without making the gimmick an actual religious one. It's kind of a shame, because a year ago he looked like a possible breakout guy, which God knows they needed.

Man... Can Dixie borrow a brain for a minute or two, just the time to send Russo his release ? It's amazing that when you think they can't sink lower, they actually do. At this point they're digging the Earth's core. WCW 1999/2000 only scratched the surface in comparison.

At this rate, to put WCW and TNA into the same pot is an insult to WCW.

True, WCW's final year(s) were pretty abysmal, but during the company's entire run, you can point to plenty of times in which the company actually put out a good product that fans wanted to watch (even if it wasn't always drawing huge numbers).

With TNA, you have a few good matches from its run... and that's about it. No periods in which people would say that the product, as a whole, was worth watching, even if it didn't draw big numbers.

So the best way to describe TNA would be thus:

TNA: The Bad, The Ugly, The Clusterfuck.

WCW, way more than even WWE, had a double standard for guys they perceived as stars, so yeah, this wouldn't surprise me if they did something like this. That said, I still generally agree with the sentiment that at this point, TNA is worse than WCW ever was.

True, but it's a matter of degree. Hall never showed up so trashed that he couldn't walk in a straight line when he was booked in a heavyweight title match on a PPV.

And they certainly never put said heavyweight title on him! So yeah, TNA is a new level of idiocy.

True, but it's a matter of degree. Hall never showed up so trashed that he couldn't walk in a straight line when he was booked in a heavyweight title match on a PPV.

He just groped middle age women, keyed limos, got so drunk he had his foot run over by a car, refused entry on planes, openly mocked management on TV, insinuated that he was going to "accidentally" rough up Terry Taylor in an angle, etc.

He just groped middle age women, keyed limos, got so drunk he had his foot run over by a car, refused entry on planes, openly mocked management on TV, insinuated that he was going to "accidentally" rough up Terry Taylor in an angle, etc.

I think the point is once it was time to do the job he was paid for he did it. Can't compare it to Hardy being too doped up to work a ppv main event.

Props to Jeff for applying such a great paint job wasted though.

I don't agree with that sentiment about Hall at all. Remember the time he came back from a European tour so wasted, that he held up a Thunder taping for 45 minutes, and as kjh mentioned, threatened to beat up Terry Taylor backstage? There were plenty of times Hall showed up to work in no condition to perform.

And hey, here's a fun subject for debate. At another board, I was arguing with some people who were saying that Jeff's actions weren't that unique, since plenty of people have showed up Not Ready To Perform (cue the usual Scott Hall jokes). My point was, I don't think I've ever seen someone SO fucked up in the ring as Hardy was on this night. (In a big nationally televised company, anyway, not some crummy indy show.) Can you guys think of any examples of anyone else showing up for a main event match, so wasted that they couldn't do anything, like Hardy was here? The closest examples I can think of were Kerry at Superclash 3 and Jake at Heroes of Wrestling, but even then I'd argue that even those guys on those nights were still a touch more sober than Jeff was.

Kerry Von Erich in the 60 minute draw with Flair in Ft. Worth that they couldn't air because he got so messed up after his dog died. Gary Hart and Rick Hazzard found him passed out in his car with a needle sticking out of his hip, someone got him upright, and then he went to the ring for a match where he sunset flipped the invisible man and fell over trying the handstand kneedrop spot. Flair was so angry after the match that he threw the belt on the locker room floor and had to be apologized to with a limo full of women on his next trip to Texas.

Wow, Flair really did live the gimmick, didn't he?

I don't agree with that sentiment about Hall at all. Remember the time he came back from a European tour so wasted, that he held up a Thunder taping for 45 minutes, and as kjh mentioned, threatened to beat up Terry Taylor backstage? There were plenty of times Hall showed up to work in no condition to perform.

If he showed up at all. What about the big return to TNA a year or so back where he was supposed to main event a PPV reuniting the Outsiders that he just no-showed, and instead they had Eric Young fill in after Samoa Joe cut a goofy worked shoot promo on Nash?

Can you guys think of any examples of anyone else showing up for a main event match, so wasted that they couldn't do anything, like Hardy was here? The closest examples I can think of were Kerry at Superclash 3 and Jake at Heroes of Wrestling, but even then I'd argue that even those guys on those nights were still a touch more sober than Jeff was.

Rodman at the PPV tag in San Diego. I don't know if the camera captured it as the show live was so shitty that I never wanted to see it again... but Rodman was so out of it that he was resting his head on the turnbuckle while standing on the apron. Just fucked up way beyond belief.

John

Speaking of Sandman, he brings to mind that there are probably a lot of Jake stories people can roll out.

Of course there was Kevin Von Erich passing out in the Sportatorium ring and the Fantastics having to CPR him. That's pretty much the gold standard of No Condition To Perform that's impossible to top.

John

According to Dave on the latest Observer Radio show, the reason why TNA management were caught so flat footed was that Jeff turned up to the show "fine enough" (by his standards), worked out the whole match with Sting, then after the show had already started "whatever happened happened".

The current plan is for Jeff to come back as a babyface, they think it would be really wonderful if he went to rehab, they realise that there is 1% chance that will happen, but they still plan to bring him back anyway. :lol:

I mean how can you keep using a guy that you can't trust not to get wasted between the start of the show and the start of his match?