Pro Wrestling Only

The Undertaker's Streak vs. HHH's power

smkelly

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's just looking too hard to bitch about stuff if you really want to nitpick him saying that. You can still even buy it kayfabe-wise since Shawn Michaels put his career on the line to end the streak. He would be the only guy to ever do it. No one else gets to say they ended the streak except one guy. So in that sense, I could see where he might say that would be the biggest accomplishment of his career. I don't think there is even the slightest chance of him winning. I think this is just laying more groundwork to build how big of a match it is next year when they do Cena/Taker. Orton couldn't do it, HBK lost his career failing to do it, HHH couldn't do it. They get to build Cena as the last big challenge, possibly billing it as Taker's last Mania match.

I still think Taker wins, but one thing that struck me when watching The True Story Of WrestleMania (almost put this in that thread, but I think the point is stronger here) is that HHH has never really had that real WrestleMania-defining moment. You could make the argument that he came out on top in 2000 and 2002, but I'm not sure those rank anywhere near the most memorable. Heck, the 2002 win over Jericho was easily overshadowed by Rock-Hogan. It wasn't even Steamboat-Savage to Rock-Hogan's Hogan-Andre. It was closer to JYD-Race. :) There's been many of HHH's rivals over the years that have had stronger Mania moments: Austin (quite a few), Rock (especially Rock-Hogan), Foley (match with Edge was probably the biggest highlight of WM22), Jericho (Jericho-HBK at WM19 has grown in reputation), Cena (has turned into the Hogan of this era, and his entrances alone, as goofy as they are, are a signature moment of the event), etc. There's a part of me that thinks HHH saved beating Taker for his ultimate Mania moment, but thankfully it's still a small part.

I still think Taker wins, but one thing that struck me when watching The True Story Of WrestleMania (almost put this in that thread, but I think the point is stronger here) is that HHH has never really had that real WrestleMania-defining moment. You could make the argument that he came out on top in 2000 and 2002, but I'm not sure those rank anywhere near the most memorable. Heck, the 2002 win over Jericho was easily overshadowed by Rock-Hogan. It wasn't even Steamboat-Savage to Rock-Hogan's Hogan-Andre. It was closer to JYD-Race. :) There's been many of HHH's rivals over the years that have had stronger Mania moments: Austin (quite a few), Rock (especially Rock-Hogan), Foley (match with Edge was probably the biggest highlight of WM22), Jericho (Jericho-HBK at WM19 has grown in reputation), Cena (has turned into the Hogan of this era, and his entrances alone, as goofy as they are, are a signature moment of the event), etc. There's a part of me that thinks HHH saved beating Taker for his ultimate Mania moment, but thankfully it's still a small part.

I feel like 2000 is the moment since it's the first time a Heel came out of wrestlemania on top and no one was expecting it.

That was criticized at the time, but it's one of the few cases where I'll defend HHH going over, since it did lead to a huge buyrate for Backlash, and the feud still had steam.

I think Backlash still would have done a huge number with Rock-HHH with Rock as champ and the Austin involvement. I remember WM2000 as the first time I watched Mania with a group of people who left the event totally deflated. Even WMXV as terrible as it was had the feel-good Austin ending. Something similar happened the next year with Austin going heel but there was enough other cool shit on the card (and the match itself) to save it.

I've never been entirely sold that HHH going over at Mania is what caused Backlash to have such a freakishly high buyrate. For one thing, the much-hyped return of Steve Austin probably helped out a lot with that. But that year was just plain damn weird when it came to buyrates anyway. You had strange things like Unforgiven outdrawing Summerslam; and every single one of the non-Big-5 shows outdrew King of the Ring and Survivor Series.

Well, this isn't TEW, man. Unless Taker has creative control, he would have to lose the match in the fashion booked or be sued into poverty by Vince. Obviously that's worst-case scenario and would be absolutely terrible for Vince and co. to do...but nevertheless, it is the WWE.

I feel like 2000 is the moment since it's the first time a Heel came out of wrestlemania on top and no one was expecting it.

That is the single most defining moment of Trip's career:

He was the first person to use his position (Banging The Boss's Daughter) and his manipulative skills to con Vince into letting him be the first Heel to beat the Top Babyface in the Company at Wrestlmania. Dude *pinned* Foley *and* Rock when it was Rock vs Foley vs Trip for the last 31+ minutes of that match.

That was and always will be The Triple H Moment.

Granted, things like working a racist angle where Book's only payback to racism could be winning the title at Mania... and Trip fucking him over by pinning him... that was pretty rich.

My favorite was probably Trip's big Babyface Comeback From Injury where he'd have his shinning moment of winning the World Title... and no one gave a shit about it and instead treated Rock-Hogan as the main even... I mean, that was great.

But pinning Rock and Foley two-on-one (after Giant went out fast) to be the first Heel to win the Mania Main... that's the Trip we all know and hate.

John

That is the single most defining moment of Trip's career:

He was the first person to use his position (Banging The Boss's Daughter) and his manipulative skills to con Vince into letting him be the first Heel to beat the Top Babyface in the Company at Wrestlmania. Dude *pinned* Foley *and* Rock when it was Rock vs Foley vs Trip for the last 31+ minutes of that match.

That was and always will be The Triple H Moment.

Granted, things like working a racist angle where Book's only payback to racism could be winning the title at Mania... and Trip fucking him over by pinning him... that was pretty rich.

My favorite was probably Trip's big Babyface Comeback From Injury where he'd have his shinning moment of winning the World Title... and no one gave a shit about it and instead treated Rock-Hogan as the main even... I mean, that was great.

But pinning Rock and Foley two-on-one (after Giant went out fast) to be the first Heel to win the Mania Main... that's the Trip we all know and hate.

John

His crowning moment may have been putting himself over big as a babyface while "passing the torch" to John Cena at WrestleMania 22. :)

:huh:

What aren't you understanding from that?

TEW = Total Extreme Warfare. In the game, workers can refuse jobs/angles *without* having creative control. And unless I am mistaken, if The Undertaker does not possess Creative Control in his contract, he cannot legally refuse to do a job/angle.

To give Hunter fair credit, were I to give him a second moment, it would be the reaction he got on Raw that night when he came back from that injury.

And number 3 would be that promo in the ring with Cena where he just demolished him.

I think most of the Trip moments we've discussed miss the point... what he would consider his defining WM moment.

It's already been mentioned that Austin, Rock, Foley and Jericho have them. We all know Hogan, Savage, Taker and Michaels have had them as well.

And yes, I would agree that Trip's moment was him being the first heel to win a WM main event match. But it's always possible he wants one more to go along with it.

Not that I believe Trip is ending Taker's streak. Trip does wield a lot of power but one could argue Taker's wields just as much, particularly when it comes to the streak.