Pro Wrestling Only

Best Black Wrestler ever

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will and Phil were saying that everything up until 1985 and he's one of the best of all time. That his star burned bright, but quickly.

I think Doom are pretty good too.

Incidentally, I googled this and it's very amusing to see so many guys put Ron Simmons ("for winning the WCW world title") and Tony Atlas right up there. As if the only history they know came from WWE 24/7. JYD also coming up a lot.

Scorpio, by a wide margin.

And if Aja is considered "black", then yes, by an even more wide margin.

I don't get the Butch Reed was a great worker argument at all. Good, yes. But great ? I don't see it at all.

I do plan on checking out Will's Butch Reed comp at some point to get a better opinion on this.

And The Rock should also be counted so perhaps it is between he and Aja.

I haven't seen enough early Rocky Johnson but what I have seen is quite good, especially some matches I saw of him under a mask as Sweet Ebony Diamond.

And Scorpio is awesome

Scorpio, by a wide margin.

And if Aja is considered "black", then yes, by an even more wide margin.

I don't get the Butch Reed was a great worker argument at all. Good, yes. But great ? I don't see it at all.

I do plan on checking out Will's Butch Reed comp at some point to get a better opinion on this.

And The Rock should also be counted so perhaps it is between he and Aja.

I haven't seen enough early Rocky Johnson but what I have seen is quite good, especially some matches I saw of him under a mask as Sweet Ebony Diamond.

And Scorpio is awesome

The Butch Reed comp is a real eye opener, even beyond the coming out party that was the Mid-South set. I would be fine with calling Butch Reed the best black wrestler ever.

Eaton/Ware was a fucking awesome tag team and just might be my favorite Eaton tag partner...

Scorpio wins if we're talking longevity as he still is good, but I like Reeds peak (1985) more. I never saw a Scorp match as good as Reed/Murdoch. :-)

By no means the best, Booker T deserves some mention.

Where would people rank D-Lo Brown?

Lower Middle of the pack.

My buddy, Negro Suave at DVDVR was working on a black wrestler list for a comp and here is a list of guys he could think of off the top of his head...

Butch Reed

Ron Simmons

Kamala

Booker T

The Rock

The Gangstas

Jazz

Ahmed Johnson

JYD

D. Lo Brown

Scorpio

Abdullah the butcher