Pro Wrestling Only

Best Black Wrestler ever

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my old bosses said it best... you are what your daddy is. Rock's black.

That's strange, I used to live with two Jewish girls, and SLL or Bix can correct me if I'm wrong about this, but in the Jewish faith, you are considered Jewish if your mother is Jewish, which makes Rock a Samoan. Or Jewish, I'm not quite sure.

Post of the thread, by far.

That's strange, I used to live with two Jewish girls, and SLL or Bix can correct me if I'm wrong about this, but in the Jewish faith, you are considered Jewish if your mother is Jewish, which makes Rock a Samoan. Or Jewish, I'm not quite sure.

You are confusing race with religion.

Actually, by that definition, Rock is Canadian.

You are confusing race with nationality.

Races don't exist. "Black" or "white" is a social denomination based on previous false assertions that there were different human races. But there isn't.

Always thought every skin colored people should be forced to have one kid with every other different skin color people, over three generations. At this point, there would be no black, white, yellow or whatever anymore on the planet, it would be a gigantic mess and racism would be forced to go away. Plus cross-bred people always look better, mixing the gene pool, the colors and the shapes only makes things better.

Well, I guess people with different religions would still hate each others, and men would still oppress women...

One of my old bosses said it best... you are what your daddy is. Rock's black.

I actually didn't realize it for ages since my mother (who was born Protestant) converted to Judaism when she married my dad, but this is correct. Though Will is also correct in that this isn't an equivalent situation.

Personally, I don't really see what the fuss is about. The Rock is black AND he's Samoan. But if you must make a distinction...Rock debuted in 1996. In 1996, Samoans still had invincible heads, but blacks didn't. The Rock does not now and did not ever have an invincible head. Therefore, logically, he must be black. I DEFY this point to be disputed.

Also worth noting is that Rock, along with the rest of the Nation of Domination, became infuriated when DX told them that they'd overheard the Hart Foundation using "the n-word."

Rikishi seemed to think of Rock as a fellow Samoan, although 1) I don't know how true this was, since it turned out that he actually ran over Austin for HHH, and 2) The Rock wasn't particularly grateful either way, dismissing Rikishi as a "thong-wearing fatty."

El-P, my Rio Ferdinand comment was related to this:

Plus cross-bred people always look better, mixing the gene pool, the colors and the shapes only makes things better.

What I'm saying is that there are mixed race people who don't look better.

Rio Ferdinand, for example, looks a bit like a horse.

Posted Image

I'm mixed race myself, by the way. I just think that it's a misnomer to say that "mixed" = better. The best thing to say, surely, is that these things don't matter. Race is only really an issue for racist people and their victims I'd suggest.

Rikishi seemed to think of Rock as a fellow Samoan, although 1) I don't know how true this was, since it turned out that he actually ran over Austin for HHH

Does anyone know if this was the original plan, or if it was a sudden change at the last minute? Cuz it felt like the latter. The "I did it for the Rock" storyline and the "I did it for HHH" storyline seemed contradictory. Like Rikishi wasn't getting over as much as they'd hoped as a dastardly heel, so they just said "eh, fuck it" and turned HHH back into the top heel instead.

I think what usually annoyed me was how angles involving machinery, automobiles and arrests were essentially no-sold. I remember angles like HHH getting the Undertaker arrested in the build to X-7 and Scott Hall smashing a cinderblock over Steve Austin's knee that seem like they would be pretty big deals on their own, but were already forgotten by the time the match took place.

That Taker angle was awful. Later they had HHH pay these guys to impersonate cops and handcuff Undertaker so HHH could beat him up. Why wasn't HHH arrested? They have already introduced the concept of the law into their universe so you can't ignore it.

WWE always portrays law enforcement as being either corrupt or incompetent.

Is he any less "black" than Barack Obama?

The correct answer is whichever ancestry Rock himself chooses to identify with (which may be both...). My assumption would be Samoan, but I've neither read his book nor any interviews of his on the subject.

I do recall when he was on Off The Record, the host referred to him as the first black WWF (at the time) champion, Rock replied he preferred to be referred to as the first WWE champion "of colour" , as calling him black was ignoring his Samoan heritage.

I think what usually annoyed me was how angles involving machinery, automobiles and arrests were essentially no-sold. I remember angles like HHH getting the Undertaker arrested in the build to X-7 and Scott Hall smashing a cinderblock over Steve Austin's knee that seem like they would be pretty big deals on their own, but were already forgotten by the time the match took place.

I remember the cinderblock incident. I wonder who they thought would buy Austin being able to compete after having his leg "smashed".

WWE always portrays law enforcement as being either corrupt or incompetent.

I'm a big supporter of the police departments around the nation, but that is generally two of the three distinct types of cops around.

These are some of the stuff introduced during the Attitude era that I really hate, the show became just grand-guignol with people getting run over and "arrested by cops" every other week, to the point settling their differences in a wrestling match didn't made any sense.

Remmeber when Austin was arrested at Calgary Stampede ? It was great because it was unique and meant something. By 1999, stuff like that happened all the time seemingly.

Yep. That was around the same time that Hogan commandeered a semi and rammed it into an ambulance carrying a beat-up Rock, and of course Rock came back shortly thereafter looking none the worse. They really got obsessed for a while with guys doing this ridiculous stuntman shit and then promptly no-selling it next week.