Pro Wrestling Only

Best Black Wrestler ever

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Russo must have been watching a lot of Jerry Springer and/or Memphis at the time.

More likely Springer, it's not like you can imagine Russo getting ideas from watching a wrestling show.

Russo stated in one of his shoots that he and Ed Ferrera would watch Springer virtually all day at Russo's home in Connecticut while they wrote RAW

Russo must have been watching a lot of Jerry Springer and/or Memphis at the time.

More likely Springer, it's not like you can imagine Russo getting ideas from watching a wrestling show.

Russo stated in one of his shoots that he and Ed Ferrera would watch Springer virtually all day at Russo's home in Connecticut while they wrote RAW

More specifically, they lived in overlapping markets that got different episodes so they were able to take in a lot.

What the fuck guys.... where did this converstation go wrong?

Let me just lay something down here. is the Rock Black? Yes, is he Samoan, Yes. Neither of those are more important than the other, he is as much a black man as he is a samoan man and that is all there is to it. A lot of this is needlessly dissecting racial heritage to prove a point.

As a lot of multiracial people will say is that they are both things neither are more important. And you know what? That is all that matters! There are far more multi racial people than a lot of people realize, and a lot of americans fondness for shouting out their heritage would learn as soon as they left the states that the countries of their homelands consider them Americans!

Negro Suave isn't just a clever nickname it's a shout out to my puerto rican and dominican heritage. But please believe that no one there would ever mistake me as anything other than a black american.

So how about we tone down the rhetoric to something a bit less sily and focus on WRESTLING performed by people WHO HAVE ANCESTRAL TIES TO AFRICA AND ITS INDEGINOUS PEOPLE and would by no means ever been mistaken as "Caucasian" and/or "White"

Jerry, when you get to Terry Taylor/Chris Adams on the Watts set, come back and post. Yes, it's a backdrop to set up a Taylor heel turn, but both matches are excellent and are mostly wrestled clean. I'd like to hear what you think. I can also think of other great matches that have been face vs face, especially Rock/Jericho at No Mercy.

In wrestling it's all about what you're pushed as. Chief Jay Strongbow was actually Italian, Billy White Wolf was from Iraq, and Eddy and Rey (in WCW at least) were pushed as being Mexican by nationality when both were born in the US.

Rock is kind of an anomaly. They obviously acknowledge his father but most of the time the Samoan part of his heritage was played up. When they interview his family it's always his mom (and his grandmother when she was alive), when's the last time anyone heard from Rocky Johnson? Other than his HOF induction (which in retrospect seems like it was only done to get Rock to come back for an appearance), they barely even mention him. They always mention his connection to the great Samoan dynasty when in truth Chief Peter isn't even a direct relation to the Anoai family, only "blood brothers".

I guess my point that of course Rock is black ethnically, but in the scope of WWE he seemed to be pushed more as part of the Samoan legacy of wrestling, especially when he got the tribal tattoos which they compared to his grandfather's.

In wrestling it's all about what you're pushed as. Chief Jay Strongbow was actually Italian, Billy White Wolf was from Iraq, and Eddy and Rey (in WCW at least) were pushed as being Mexican by nationality when both were born in the US.

Rock is kind of an anomaly. They obviously acknowledge his father but most of the time the Samoan part of his heritage was played up. When they interview his family it's always his mom (and his grandmother when she was alive), when's the last time anyone heard from Rocky Johnson? Other than his HOF induction (which in retrospect seems like it was only done to get Rock to come back for an appearance), they barely even mention him. They always mention his connection to the great Samoan dynasty when in truth Chief Peter isn't even a direct relation to the Anoai family, only "blood brothers".

I guess my point that of course Rock is black ethnically, but in the scope of WWE he seemed to be pushed more as part of the Samoan legacy of wrestling, especially when he got the tribal tattoos which they compared to his grandfather's.

If we were talking about great italian wrestlers I would include Chief Jay Strongbow as well... just as if you talk about Yokozuna you still call him Samoan even though he was booked as a japanese monster.

The hairs do not need to be split.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2001-03-1...avie-allegation

Ex-wrestler Won't Face Prosecution

March 17, 2001|By JOHN W. ALLMAN and VICTOR GRETO Staff Writers

Despite finding "sufficient evidence" that former wrestler Rocky Johnson inappropriately touched a female co-worker, the Broward State Attorney's Office declined Friday to prosecute because the woman feared the publicity it would bring her.

Johnson, 56, father of World Wrestling Federation champion Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, faced possible charges of battery and theft, according to Brad Weissman, an assistant state attorney in the Special Prosecution and Public Corruption Unit.

At the center of the battery allegation is a female camp counselor who, according to investigative records, told Davie officials and police that Johnson touched her buttocks without consent on two occasions. The woman, now 23, worked last summer at Davie's Pine Island Community Center, where Johnson was temporarily employed as an activities leader.

"The victim makes a very credible witness," Weissman wrote in his summary of the state's investigation. "Her allegation is supported by the other individuals she told immediately afterwards and her demeanor while relaying the incidents."

However, he wrote, the likely difficulties in prosecuting stemmed from three areas: The woman's statements to other individuals could be challenged as hearsay; she did not immediately file a complaint with police; and she wanted to retain her privacy, which was not possible if she pressed charges.

"She's a good kid," Weissman said. "She really doesn't want to be identified and wants to move on with her life."

A woman who answered the phone at the 23-year-old's home declined comment Friday.

As for the theft allegation, Weissman said there was too much conflicting evidence to pursue charges.

That allegation stemmed from an incident in which Johnson allegedly took home a piece of athletic equipment from Pine Island. The item did not belong to the town, but Weissman said it was not clear whether Johnson knew that.

Johnson was not home Friday afternoon. His phone has been disconnected.

Johnson's lawyer, Daniel Aaronson, said his client has been vindicated. "We have been saying all along there should be no criminal charges filed," he said.

As to the state attorney's claim of sufficient evidence to pursue the battery charge, Aaronson said he was not privy to the state's investigation.

"From what I know about this, I will stand by my opinion that never was there any criminal conduct," he said.

The case attracted national attention because of Johnson's son's celebrity status. Locally, it became a hot issue because of Johnson's former friendship and business association with Davie Mayor Harry Venis.

The mayor, who planned to open a wrestling school with Johnson's help, drove his friend to interview for the Pine Island job and then sat in on the interview.

Venis declined comment Friday, saying he was told by Town Administrator Tom Willi not to talk until Davie police release the findings of their investigation next week.

Willi did not return two telephone calls seeking comment.

Kathy Cox, who will step down Wednesday after 10 years as a Town Council member, refused to address the state's decision. However, she did comment on Johnson's employment.

"This shows the town should conduct background investigations and have a town administrator that takes a firm position against council members interfering with hiring practices," Cox said.

Others echoed her sentiments.

"Now that the State Attorney's Office seems to concur that there was inappropriate touching that took place during the camp, it's obvious that [town officials] did not act fast enough," said Doug Notman, a parent whose children were at Pine Island during Johnson's employment. "Town officials need to take this opportunity to review their hiring and disciplinary policies to ensure that no other similar event ever goes this far."

Johnson was suspended by Willi on Sept. 21, three weeks after hearing allegations that Johnson might be acting inappropriately at the community center. Notman and others have criticized the delay. Willi has said he acted immediately upon receiving the findings of an internal town investigation.

That investigation included interviews with 13 current or former town employees who worked with or observed Johnson at the community center. The 23-year-old female camp counselor was one of those interviewed.

Weissman said his office interviewed about 10 people. Those interviews focused solely on the two criminal allegations, the touching of the female counselor and the removal of athletic equipment.

Because the numerous other instances of possible misconduct were not "criminal in nature," Weissman said, they were not investigated.

According to town documents, the other allegations reported by witnesses were that:

Johnson spent time with a woman, not employed by the town, in a room at the community center napping, kissing and getting massages.

He twice complained about being interrupted while spending time alone with a woman. In one incident, a 16-year-old female employee walked in on Johnson as he was receiving a massage from a woman straddling his back. On a separate occasion, Johnson allegedly complained to another employee that he was interrupted by a male employee while he was receiving oral sex.

He asked a 12-year-old girl to play strip poker.

He wore a tank top in front of children bearing the word "PUTA," a Spanish word for prostitute. A parent complained about the shirt.

He made a comment in front of a group of children about the size of his penis.

He promised children that his son, "The Rock," would visit the center. "The Rock" did not appear during the summer.

He left children supervised by only a counselor-in-training while they wrestled and boxed. Several children suffered injuries.

"Even if these allegations did not rise to the level of a criminal indictment, if any of them is true they are highly inappropriate in the setting of a Davie-sponsored children's camp," Notman said.

The way I look at is this: Rock was not, by any stretch of the imagination, a white, Anglo-Saxon human being.

Since Hulk Hogan became WWF champion, everyone who followed him was a white, Anglo-Saxon human being, from Andre to Savage to Flair to Bret Hart to Sgt. Slaughter to Undertaker to Michaels to Sid to Austin to Kane.

EDIT: And, yes, Hogan was a white, Anglo-Saxon human being too.

So... I really don't know what it all means, but it's safe to say Rock was not a white, Anglo-Saxon human being. Take that for what it's worth with regards to his first WWF World title run.

EDIT #2: OK, after double-checking the definition of Anglo-Saxon from the list, Andre the Giant wouldn't be Anglo-Saxon, but he was definitely white.

The way I look at is this: Rock was not, by any stretch of the imagination, a white, Anglo-Saxon human being.

Since Hulk Hogan became WWF champion, everyone who followed him was a white, Anglo-Saxon human being, from Andre to Savage to Flair to Bret Hart to Sgt. Slaughter to Undertaker to Michaels to Sid to Austin to Kane.

EDIT: And, yes, Hogan was a white, Anglo-Saxon human being too.

So... I really don't know what it all means, but it's safe to say Rock was not a white, Anglo-Saxon human being. Take that for what it's worth with regards to his first WWF World title run.

EDIT #2: OK, after double-checking the definition of Anglo-Saxon from the list, Andre the Giant wouldn't be Anglo-Saxon, but he was definitely white.

There was Yokozuna.

Was making Yoko the champ a step forward in racial progressiveness because they finally had a non-white as the top guy (well, excepting Pedro Morales), or a step back because it was a guy of one ethnicity portraying a nearly offensive stereotype of a different ethnicity?

The contributions of Bobo Brazil are really being glossed over in this thread. I mean when he showed up black wrestlers weren't even really allowed to face white wrestlers. He came along and got so popular that promoters eventually changed that. He also came out and wasn't a stereotype either. He stood up toe bad guys in such a way that looks of faces don't do. He also refused the NWA World Title in 1962 in a phantom reign.

Was making Yoko the champ a step forward in racial progressiveness because they finally had a non-white as the top guy (well, excepting Pedro Morales), or a step back because it was a guy of one ethnicity portraying a nearly offensive stereotype of a different ethnicity?

Yoko wasn't the top guy though was he. Luger was.

I think there's a massive difference between being pushed as a foreign monster heel champ against the all-American top babyface and what the Rock did in the late 90s.

The strap is largely immaterial anyway. I don't know why such importance is placed on it. JYD was a bigger star than Yokozuna.

Yoko wasn't the top guy though was he. Luger was.

Disagree. Yoko was pushed as The Man to Beat from Royal Rumble 1993 up to Wrestle Mania 10. Luger didn't became the main face until Summer of 93, and by Royal Rumble 94 it's arguable that Bret Hart was more over than him (hence the double finish and burial of Luger after WM). From the time Bret lost the belt to the time he got it back, the focus was on Yoko more than anyone else. He pinned Bret Hart, pinned Hogan, didn't lose he belt against Luger, "killed" Taker, probably the strongest heel reign of WWF history up to that point. Yoko was seriously Da Man for a year and a half.

So to clear all the is he/isn't he talk up for good, Rock is officially black. I finally got around to watching the 5/2/11 Raw (Rock's Birthday Raw), and Tyler Perry wishes him happy birthday in a pre-recorded message. Does not get any blacker than Tyler Perry acknowledging your existence.

So to clear all the is he/isn't he talk up for good, Rock is officially black. I finally got around to watching the 5/2/11 Raw (Rock's Birthday Raw), and Tyler Perry wishes him happy birthday in a pre-recorded message. Does not get any blacker than Tyler Perry acknowledging your existence.

Ok I usually don't even mention this but really that caused me to have to actually ruin a keyboard with a spittake