Pro Wrestling Only

Matches You Must See Before You Die

Al

We got our first VCR in '93, I started taping a few months later.

We got ours in 85 and I immediately started taping everything. I had an amazing tape collection of WWF, Pro Wrestling USA, WorldWide, World Class, World Class Classics, and Mid South/ UWF. As well as all sorts of official releases. Sadly, they ended up in my Aunt's garage and have never been seen since 1989.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there anyone younger than Bix or I?

Interesting to see how some of the members here got into the biz of taping and trading. A lot of the things I've read recently have flown over my head. I used to get all the wrestling magazines when I was a kid, like 8-12ish. I had this one that was from Germany. It covered all American and Mexican wrestling. Wish I still had it.

Anyway, from what I have heard, tape traders used to buy advertising space in the magazines, or is that inaccurate? I never recall reading anything about that or I would have probably begged my dad to buy something for me.

Interesting to see how some of the members here got into the biz of taping and trading. A lot of the things I've read recently have flown over my head. I used to get all the wrestling magazines when I was a kid, like 8-12ish. I had this one that was from Germany. It covered all American and Mexican wrestling. Wish I still had it.

Anyway, from what I have heard, tape traders used to buy advertising space in the magazines, or is that inaccurate? I never recall reading anything about that or I would have probably begged my dad to buy something for me.

I don't recall ever seeing anything like that in the Apter mags. I recall seeing ads for tapes in the Observer around 1986. In fact, there was one that said it had Rich/ Sawyer "Last Battle In Atlanta" that led me to believe that it actually existed for years and years.

24 :).

Powerslam definitely ran tape-trading adverts because that's how I got into trading in 1999 (there were two features on All Japan in the spring; one on Baba and then on Vader). We got our first internet connection around the same time, too, shortly after Owen died I think (which might've helped my pestering).

I remember RF Video advertising in PWI and the other Apter mags, I picked up the "Kawasaki Dream" show being a huge Cactus Jack fan, so that had to have been '95 or '96. The only other tapes I remember being advertised are the old "Lords of the Ring" tape with the Road Warriors on the front, and the apartment wrestling tapes!

Also, I am 32, and glad to see a board not full of 15 year olds!

Powerslam definitely ran tape-trading adverts because that's how I got into trading in 1999 (there were two features on All Japan in the spring; one on Baba and then on Vader). We got our first internet connection around the same time, too, shortly after Owen died I think (which might've helped my pestering).

Powerslam ran tape trading adverts going back to at least 1994, although Rob Butcher was the primary trader in those days and the fact that he was second in command to Fin Martin probably helped.

I can clearly remember finding issue 1 of Powerslam in a newsagents when I was on holiday with my parents (its predecessor Superstars of Wrestling stopped being sold in the area where I lived around issue 11 or 12, and with the relaunch, Powerslam received a greater distribution through the UK). After buying it I realised that it used to be SOW and they were selling back issues of that magazine. Purchased about half a dozen and there was a two page write up on ECW The Night the Line was Crossed and the magazine wrote it up like it was one of the greatest shows ever and a must see event. In the readers pages there was a plug from Rob Butcher advertising what tapes he had and this was one of them. Although a bit wary, considering he wrote for PS I thought if he was to rip me off I would complain and bitch to the magazine and Fin Martin (ludicrous in hindsight as Rob was a tremendous guy). Sent off for his catalogue and that was the start of my days in the Tape Trading community, although I was just a buyer until the DVD days when I got into it pretty heavily. There was a story on a UK forum about how Rob bought and paid off his own home from his time as a tape trader/seller (can't remember exactly when he called it quits as I was away at Uni at the time) until selling all his stock, videos, converters etc to GWI.

Im a new member but im only 24, i've always taped stuff but didnt get into trading into 2009. Pretty late start really, just use to trade tapes with people on my estate and tape every PPV i could. But my mum threw me out when i was 16 and i lost a lot of stuff. Glad to have build a good collection since 2009. Never had the internet until 2008.

• 1 year later...

Back when I was a lurker and still trying to find myself as a wrestling fan, this thread was invaluable in helping me expand my wrestling horizons. I've been pondering the answers I would give for the categories goodhelmet suggested for a while now, and I've finally reached the point where I'm confident in my selections.

Must see cage match

Got to go with the 1992 WarGames.

Must see high flyers match

Eddy/Rey from Halloween Havoc. The 2005 Smackdown match is a better match, but Havoc has better high flying.

Must see match with blood

Hokuto/Kandori.

Must see mat work

Can't go wrong with Han/Tamura. 1/22/97 is their best match, so I'll go with that one. Volk Han is someone even people who aren't into matwork or shoot-style can appreciate.

Must see gimmick match

I'll go with the Cena/Umaga LMS match. It has the feel of a traditional pro wrestling match without sublimating the gimmick. I feel like most gimmick matches fail on either the first count or the second.

Must see world title bout

6/3/94.

Must see 1970s match

Baba/Robinson, 7/24/76.

Must see 1980s match

Lawler/Dundee, 6/6/83. Kind of surprised that I'm the first one to mention it.

Must see 1990s match

Misawa/Kobashi, 1/20/97.

Must see tag match

6/9/95.

This is a pretty interesting topic, so I'd be interested in hearing the thoughts of the newer members.

Oh, and I'm 31.

Ripe old age of 33.

My two must watches: Sting-Vader, Great American Bash 92, the quintessential monster vs mortal matchup. And Bret vs Owen, Wrestlemania X. Technical marvel, a tinge of hate, and a pitch-perfect ending. Doesn't hurt that as a younger brother myself whose older sibling was athletically gifted and could "do no wrong," the Owen victory really resonated with me. :)