Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-02-24-PWFG] Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs Yusuke Fuke

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

This was really great, and may have been the best Fujiwara, Fujiwara-Gumi match. The matwork was super here, as both guys were breaking out multiple counters to counters. My favorite is when Fuke was attempting a Boston Crab, Fujiwara tries to break out his signature crab counter, and Fuke counters it, then he tries it again and Fuke goes right for a cross armbreaker. I also loved all the fighting for holds, Fujiwara was going for the ankle and Fuke is just laying in bodyshots and headbutts, but Fujiwara refuses to let go. The shots to the knee were brutal, and I loved Fujiwara's viciousness.

• 11 months later...

This is the kind of thing you show someone who wants to get into Fujiwara. He really tells the story of the match with his facial expressions and stuff before the match even really gets going. Fuke looked like such the underdog and Fujiwara seemingly got more and more surprised that he wasn't cleaning Fuke's clock as the time went on. Recurring theme with the kicks was perfect and I love that one of them ended the match. Fuke looked disappointed in himself when they were done, and I'm really disappointed there doesn't seem to be a re-match anywhere. Great match.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Very much the shootstyle version of Rude vs. Pillman, as Fujiwara is pushed hard by an undersized rookie but still wins convincingly. Loved Fujiwara's signature Boston crab counter getting thrown back at him and the leg kicks were good looming story throughout the match that played into the ending.

• 2 months later...

This set is my first exposure to this style and this match is the first I'm seeing of both these guys. This was just an excellent worked MMA-style match. The young upstart versus grizzled vet storyline and the crowd's reactions were just perfect. I didn't even realize there was no commentary until after the match had ended. A few highlights included the Fujiwara counter into a reversal, Fuke's striking, and the kicks of Fujiwara being the opening move of the bout as well as part of the finishing sequence.

I feel like there is a fine line between this style coming across as realistic (as this match did) and unrealistic. I look forward to more of this.

• 2 years later...

Fuke showed lots of heart, but this was basically a Fujiwara squash, thanks to his unrelenting work on the side of Fuke's leg. This was a rarity, in that Fujiwara was the winner on points (knockdowns) rather than by submission.

I look forward to more competitive shoot-style bouts throughout this set.

• 2 years later...

I liked the recurring theme of the leg kicks working for Fujiwara. The half-hearted feints with the lead leg really throw Fuke for a loop as the youngster is done in after Fuji throws one fast and hard. Fuke fights on, but it's the beginning of the end at that exact moment. I liked Fuke's spirited rally that led to him getting his only points of the match. And Fujiwara kicking him in the knee again to end it. I will say that when Fujiwara shows up with kick pads his opponent is in trouble.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-02-24-PWFG] Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs Yusuke Fuke