Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-02-27-AJPW-Excite Series] Jumbo Tsuruta vs Kenta Kobashi

Loss

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I agree that with those who preferred the Kawada match. With being JIP it seems like there was only a couple minutes of Jumbo working the knee before they started throwing bombs. It was entertaining though and the crowd was really lively and behind Kobashi. Jumbo has been one of my favorites of 1992 so far.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Would've loved to see this complete but what we've got is great. Jumbo gives Kobashi a ton,eating a DDT on the floor, backdrop suplex and more before blocking a moonsault and finishing things with a backdrop of his own. The Kawada match is probably superior due to a better layout but I liked how much Jumbo did to paint Kobashi as a real threat here.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I really enjoyed this. There were a few times where Kobashi would put a few moves together and start to take over then would get a little reckless and Jumbo would take advantage. This led to the finish with Kobashi going for who knows what off the top and getting kneed in the gut and pinned shortly after. One of those matches where you know the young guy is going to lick his wounds and come back better prepared the next time. I agree with the poster above me about the nice string of "top dog v. young gun" matches recently and they all have been worked perfectly.

The full match is on youtube.

• 2 years later...

One word sums up this match: desperation. Kenta's desperate to get the big win over the former Triple Crown champion, while Jumbo's desperate to teach the youngster a lesson and reassert his place in the pecking order after losing to Hansen.

These two pull out every stop known to man, including a DDT on the floor from Kenta that looked like it legitimately messed up Jumbo's neck for the rest of the match. Jumbo retaliates by dropping Kenta face first on the ringside table. Kenta targets Jumbo's neck from then on and gets two and seven-eighths several times, but gets too greedy off the top, allowing Jumbo to catch him with a knee, then pin him after the Jumbo Driver. Afterward, Jumbo still sells the neck to let us know what a close call he'd just had.

This wasn't the greatest bout I've seen from either man, but it might have been one of the hardest fought. Count me in with those who hope we have a rematch sometime before Jumbo has to step aside.

• 2 years later...

Kobashi is good at throwing bombs. Almost as good as he is at garnering sympathy. Jumbo tends to play to the strengths of his opponent in these types of matches and that's what we get. It's really good and an example of howto make a young guy with potential look really good in a loss. Problem being it took place in AJPW in 1992 and that year is chick full of that kind of thing.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-02-27-AJPW-Excite Series] Jumbo Tsuruta vs Kenta Kobashi