Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-03-07-USWA-TV] Interview: Eric Embry

Loss

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Embry is outside and shirtless, cutting a promo for an anything-goes match against Pat Tanaka. Embry talks up implanting Tanaka's "China-lookin' head" onto a shovel, and then promises to reveal to Tony Anthony behind-the-scenes rumors involving Tanaka and the Dirty White Girl. It's Illicit Affairs Week in wrestling, apparently.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Not only a great promo, but one with a good point: Tanaka complains about Embry's use of weapons, then turns around and demands a type of match where weapon use is not only legal, but encouraged. How screwed up is that?

I liked Embry tying this feud into the Moondogs/Jeff and Lawler feud, even claiming that the Dogs' violence inspires him. I like Richard Lee, but I'll bet Embry would have been a hoot and a half as the Dogs' manager.

Embry showing off his weapons didn't bother me, but hearing constant cracks about Tanaka's "China-lookin' head" sure did. So did the insinuation that there's an affair going on between Tanaka and Kim, although that's not on moral grounds so much as the fact that it's a pretty blatant copy of the Flair/Liz angle.

I didn't think Embry's eye looked all that bad, but maybe that's because he was squinting both eyes into the sun, which meant that the damaged eye wouldn't stand out as much.

• 2 years later...

Embry's look is super sleazy now and I love it. I did like Embry's insinuation that Tanaka is not truly against foreign objects being brought into a match. Heels should have some truth to what they say and there is enough there, just twisted around to Embry's way of thinking, that it makes a good basis for the promo. I did think the golf club was going a little far, but up until that point I was with Embry on the foreign objects. Really good promo that stops just short of great.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-03-07-USWA-TV] Interview: Eric Embry