Photo

Bret Hart vs Roddy Piper (WWF Wrestlemania VIII 04/05/92)

WWF WWE Wrestlemania April 5 1992 Indianapolis Bret Hart Roddy Piper 3.5* Title Changes

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 MikeCampbell

MikeCampbell

80% of crazy!

• Members
  • 2161 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

This was great more for the characters than the actual work, although the work isn't too shabby either. It's fun watching Bret and Piper both taking little shortcuts on each other, Bret faking the injury to get the cradle and Piper letting the fists fly and getting Bret bloody. The finish is a bit out of nowhere, but was original at the time, and it's been aped plenty of times since.

#22 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5590 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

Definitely a seminal moment in Hart's rise as a single. Piper heels a bit early spitting at Hart. Hart fakes a shoulder injury to set up a small package that ratchets things up a bit. After another cheap shot by Piper Hart blads himself and works underneath for a while. We get an early five moves of doom but the sharpshooter is blocked. Piper thinks about cementing his heeldom with a chair but can't bring himself to do it and then comes the finish. Whether its because I started watching a few years after his big run in the mid 80s and thus didn't have any connection to him, Piper is someone who's never done it for me. Good fire, quick on the mic and clearly charismatic but I never saw him as anything special. Still a good match due to Hart but I'll always remember it because of him. ***1/2

#23 Laney

Laney
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

I love this match. WrestleMania VIII one of the few wrestling tapes that the video rental in my hometown had, so I watched this many times as a child. I really enjoyed the story of this match and I definitely rank it as Piper's best. In his book Bret writes that he fooled Vince with the blade job and avoided paying a fine since everyone thought it was hardway. He also writes that the Flair bladejob on the same show was blatantly obvious and both Flair and Savage were fined.

#24 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 9571 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:06 PM

Piper's back to being a happy-go-lucky guy, but takes passive-aggressive potshots at Bret throughout until Bret basically tells him to shut his yap. Bret tries to pull Piper's "I woulda had you" move, but Piper's ready for him. This doesn't reach the heights of the retirement match a year earlier--nothing could--but this is still a tremendous WWF sports entertainment match, but one with some pretty surprising hate and fire behind it. Even if it's just because of the blood, it holds up well in the face of the stiffer brawls elsewhere on the Yearbook. Terrific finish that would recur throughout Bret's career. This gives both Shawn and Bret upset victories over Piper in the span of a few weeks, which can be seen as a sign. And this is in a jumble of the top 3 Piper matches, along with 12/90 against Perfect and the dog collar match. Haven't seen the Rude match since watching the '80s WWF set but I think it's just below the other 3.

#25 Karl

Karl
  • Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:33 AM

Bret and Piper are two guys I don't think I every really appreciated enough until they stopped wrestling. You dont know what you got 'til its gone. Love this match.

#26 DR Ackermann

DR Ackermann
  • Members
  • 861 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:39 AM

Terrific match. Both guys worked the tension of the face vs face dynamic perfectly. Bret's selling was really well done and subtle. Piper shined here and held up his end of the match very well. They could have easily weakened Hart's push with this match by making it seem like he could only beat Piper if Piper played fair, but Piper's heel teases were great and he broke the rules just enough to show that Hart was probably the better man, while at the same time having both men save face with the finish. This came off as a very natural passing-of-the-torch. Better storytelling and better action than Savage vs Flair. They messed up the smoothness of a couple of spots, but worked through them just fine. After going back and watching the whole show, this was definitely match of the night. I'm not a big fan of Hart but I loved this match.

#27 Dooley

Dooley
  • Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:38 PM

"Remember the old saying: what the hell, use the bell!"

#28 garretta

garretta
  • Members
  • 3565 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 07:34 AM

This may be Piper's best wrestling match ever, but he's had overall performances, particularly during his incomparable original heel run, that dwarf this. He's here to put Bret over clean on the way out, and he does so pretty as you please, showing off a little wrestling skill along the way.  

I never really bought the teased heel turns, mostly because using the bell is something I'd expect Piper to do if he got the notion regardless of which side of the fence he was supposed to be on. I thought we'd see a few heelish spots out of Bret, but no such luck.

This was definitely Bret's style of match. Piper adapted as well as he could, but he's just not the kind of guy I want to see trying to exchange holds. I really liked his boxing exhibition in the middle, which Bret had no answer for. Speaking of which, Gino in particular has really been putting over Piper's boxing credentials heavily lately, which no WWF announcer has ever done before, even when Rod was the company's hottest face in late '86/early '87.

I've seen Bret have better bouts with more technically capable challengers, but he did the best he could with what he had to work with here. I liked his decision to blade; it added drama and extra psychology, plus it got the crowd on his side for good, which was vital since he'd be the one sticking around as IC champion.

The finish was nicely done, and set up well by Piper's refusal to use the bell once the ref was knocked out. Like I said above, I never really thought Piper would turn, especially since his program with Bret most likely wouldn't have continued even if he'd kept wrestling (I think Jake was supposed to be Bret's next challenger before he left).

The postmatch was really classy, particularly Piper strapping the belt around Bret's waist, like Hogan did with Warrior after Mania VI. The difference is, Bret's WWF singles career was just taking off, while Warrior's had nowhere to go but down for a mulitiude of reasons that we've already talked about.

Gino was kind of annoying here; it took him several minutes to stop taking potshots at Heenan and get down to business. Bobby was also a bit out of his element here with no real heel to back. I liked him talking about being the champion of his neighborhood and (of course) "What the hell, use the bell!" Actually, the whole sequence where Piper has the bell in his hand and is debating with himself on whether to use it is golden, not only because of Rod but because of Bobby's reaction. At one point he's so frustrated that he screams, "Give it to me, I'll hit him!" No other commentator ever could come close to getting away with that line.

Bret faking an injury just to catch Piper unawares in a small package is a move we should have seen at least a little more often, and it would still work today if it was set up properly.

Not to forget the pre-match interview, I loved Rod taking little jabs at Bret and the entire Hart family; my favorite was how there was only one slice of bologna on the sandwiches that Helen made. This is how Lawler should have provoked his feud with Bret a year later, with the insults escalating bit by bit over time. Instead, he trotted out the same old and tired age and senility jokes for over two years to the point where they annoyed even occasional viewers like me in a "Get this goofball off of my screen NOW!" way.

Lines of the Match (tie): "Give it to me, I'll hit him!" and "What the hell, use the bell!". A pair of undisputed Heenan classics.

Was that Flair's blood that was on the canvas even before Bret had a chance to blade? Ric must have tapped at least two arteries instead of one.

#29 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2847 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:15 PM

Was that Flair's blood that was on the canvas even before Bret had a chance to blade? Ric must have tapped at least two arteries instead of one.

That match came after this one.

#30 garretta

garretta
  • Members
  • 3565 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:21 PM

Thanks, Fly. It must have been Bret's blood, then.

#31 JKWebb

JKWebb
  • Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:38 PM

http://placetobenati...he-90s-400-351/

I really love this match. It totally holds up, and it's always a go to for me during the holidays. I just love the emotion, story, and performances from both guys.

I do think the dog collar match is better, but I don't want that to take from this. There is a great Buddy Rose/Piper match too - like Dylan mentioned. That Perfect match is awesome from 1990, and there is a fun Bruno cage that I recall. Some really good ones from Portland to seek out are (besides Rose):

vs. Ed Wiskowski on 08/23/1980. There is a great match with Rose and Wiskowsi vs. Piper and Martel on 08/02/1980.

Also: checkout the Piper/Martel Sheepherders feud from Portland especially all of 5/31/1980 - great tv

#32 cactus

cactus
  • Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:03 AM

This is a rare face vs face match for this time period. The pre-match promo not only brilliantly sets up this match, but also shows us that cocaine is a hell of a drug. We see glimpses of Piper wanting to embrace his older, darker persona. After Bret Hart gets a near-fall after playing possum, Piper is pushed over the edge. The drama with the ring bell was compelling. A compact match that put Bret Hart over huge.

★★★★¼

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: WWF, WWE, Wrestlemania, April 5, 1992, Indianapolis, Bret Hart, Roddy Piper, 3.5*, Title Changes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users