Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-08-30-WWA] Eddie Gilbert vs Jerry Lawler

Loss

• 2 months later...

Good to have a full-length match between these two since none are available from the USWA and they did spend a significant chunk of the year feuding. The show appears to be outdoors to a pretty small crowd in a semi-big venue to accommodate it. This gets going after a while, but considering the match was only slightly over 10 minutes and maybe 4-5 of those minutes were devoted to action, it was a little disappointing. I wish they'd had more time, because you have to love Gilbert using a fan's crutch as a weapon. Cool find though, and Gilbert gets some nice color.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Lots of stalling early. Gilbert juices after a piledriver and they start brawling outside with chairs. Gilbert does big color for a pretty small and quiet crowd. Brawl up into the stands is cool. Gilbert uses crutch to work over Lawler. No finish airs. Would've obviously preferred a complete MSC match from these 2 but we'll have to take what's available for the record.

**1/4

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't always been that eager to sit through these eastern indy matches, but the action here was pretty awesome with two hard-working guys, even if the crowd is sparse. There's some stalling but not that much, and Lawler giving a piledriver to Stately Wayne Manor was a "wow" moment. Fun brawl into the bleachers at the end, with a crazy attempt by Lawler to toss Gilbert off the top row over the fence, and then trading shots with a fan's crutch. Put this action in the MSC and it'd come across as the hottest wrestling act in the country.

• 2 years later...

This match is a fine example of why I judge the whole presentation when it comes to wrestling matches, not just the in-ring action. Pete may be right about how hot this match would be if you put it at the MSC, but for an outdoor show in Philly commentated by a couple of dipsticks who sounded like they were calling the matches from their bedroom and couldn't figure out which one was supposed to be the face and which one the heel, this wasn't very good.

Again, I'm reminded of what a total hypocrite Lawler was when he talked about how ECW was terrible and a poor excuse for wrestling. I suppose that wasn't you hammering Eddie with garbage cans and trying to throw him over chain-link fences, huh, Kingfish? I know that his matches with Jeff and the Moondogs were similar, but there was more of a sense that he was fighting back to save his life and career, rather than just brawling all over the building because that's how the match was booked.

Maybe the commentary had something to do with that; if there was a story behind this match, these jokers didn't tell it. Even those of us who have followed this feud in Memphis would have liked to be reminded of the hatred between these two, and we weren't. A few passing references to it among thirteen minutes of grade school bickering means nothing. These could have been any two random schmucks fighting in the stands for all it mattered to the announcers and fans, none of whom really seemed into this whatsoever.

About the only spot I liked was Lawler piledriving Stately Wayne Manor, whom I read from time to time in some of the non-Apter mags I used to get.

Was the title referred to the Unified title, or was there some other alphabet soup belt on the line that we've probably never heard of?

You can say a lot about this match, but Eddie went above and beyond the call juicing after a piledriver. I've never seen that done before.

Did this match ever have an official finish? Seems to me that it would be a double DQ or a double countout, but I guess the world will never know for sure.

Again, I'm reminded of what a total hypocrite Lawler was when he talked about how ECW was terrible and a poor excuse for wrestling. I suppose that wasn't you hammering Eddie with garbage cans and trying to throw him over chain-link fences, huh, Kingfish?

Wrestling's a work.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-08-30-WWA] Eddie Gilbert vs Jerry Lawler
  • 2 years later...