Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-09-15-AJW-Bull Nakano 10th Anniversary Show] Bull Nakano & Aja Kong & Kyoko Inoue vs Toshiyo Yamada & Yumiko Hotta & Mariko Yoshida

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

(Bull Nakano 10th Anniversary match - 2/3 Falls) Bull Nakano, Aja Kong & Kyoko Inoue vs Toshiyo Yamada, Yumiko Hotta & Mariko Yoshida

Zany hijinx to start this off. Everyone chases Kyoko until they she hides behind Bull and no one wants a parth of that. Hotta steps up and gets doinked by Miss Nakano, Yoshida fairs even worse and gets dinked. Aja & Bull do then bust out the freakin leap frog onto your opponent hanging off the ropes spot and uhhhh...yeah, bad times for Yoshida. Goku Jack beat up Yoshida a while longer until she's able to break out the monkey flip on Bull to escape her torture. Yamada has a go of it and continues the fine tradition of getting her team getting their butt kicked. Hotta finally gets to come in and play wreckin ball but that doesn't last long. Yoshida & Yamada back to playing the game of who can get crushed the bestest. All 3 try and triple drop kick on Bull and she just shrugs it off, double suplex attempt not so much as Yamada breaks out the surpise roll up win over Bull to take the 1st fall. Short 2nd fall as Aja comes in and smashes all in her path. They grab Yoshida for some triple team action and Kyoko ends it with the flying back elbow. 3rd fall sees everyone bouning all over as they go fighting around the arena. Aja goes bowling for camera men using Yoshida as the ball. She gets a full strike and everything. Back inside long stretch of near falls, awesome mini segment between Yoshida & Kyoko. ending comes when Aja hits a big splash on Hotta followed by Bull droping the leg. Yamada saves...barely, only prolonging the agony. One more leg drop from Bull and it's over. Happy ending for the special girl on her special night. Hokuto comes out at the end to give her more flowers as they gear up to kick some FMW butt soon. Really good match as everyone was on for this one.

I think this was pretty much set before the 1993 one was actively being discussed, though? I did add some on the '80s AJW set over at DVDVR :). And, yeah, I get that after decrying the lack of Joshi on the '93 set I'm calling this for not being too worthy...

I'm missing maybe 3 comms combined for 94/95 (I'm pretty sure I have, or will have shortly, all the available TVs), so when those sets come around I'll even make a point of running through everything :).

I am going by whatever star ratings I can find. I really wish you would participate in the recommendation threads instead of pointing it out after the fact each time when it's too late. :)

Hehe, I have the excuse of the nom threads being hidden away in a locked forum that I didn't bother to ask for the password to until 6 days before the 92 set was released but MJH you should have steped up, for shame ;-)

Anyways, back to the match. I don't think this is a bad inclusion at all, like don't let the fact that there were some other better matces that didn't make it on detract from the fact that this is still quite good.

Fun fact, Bull being pined by Yamada in the 1st fall was only the 4th time she'd taken any sort of direct loss in 3 years.

• 1 month later...

Not sure how this is a borderline match, as this is one of my favorite AJW matches so far. Everyone is incredibly distinctive -- Bull, Aja and Kyoko each have very different roles on their teams, and the same can be applied to a lesser degree to the other side as well. Yoshida gets a little lost when surrounded by all these big names. I love how each team worked together and executed strategies to take the other team out, especially Kyoko screaming at Bull and Aja to use her ideas. Tons of really good well time miscoordination spots, lots of set up/payback stuff. This is more U.S. style than most Joshi, which I think makes it great. To borrow the jdw argument, this on Raw next week would be considered a MOTYC and have people going crazy.

To borrow the jdw argument, this on Raw next week would be considered a MOTYC and have people going crazy.

I don't know, I think this would get boring chants if it was on Raw. I really don't like the 2/3 falls stip for this match. Just couldn't get into the match and I like Bull/Aja and sometimes Inoue. Although I think I liked her better in 96.

• 1 year later...

My 25th favourite Joshi match of the year so I'd say it's worth its spot on the set at the low end. 25m+ of decent action with a hierarcial structure. One thing that jumped out at me was how Yoshida lacked credibility against the 2 monsters. Yamada flash pinning Bull and Aja busting Hotta's mouth were the best moments. I'm generally not a big fan of 6 man tags. They suffer from the lack of downtime and are usually having to keep the action coming to fight off the underlying dullness of the format. It's also very rare that they feel important like big time singles and tag matches.

• 10 months later...

Fun fact, Bull being pined by Yamada in the 1st fall was only the 4th time she'd taken any sort of direct loss in 3 years.

Had no idea this was the case and definitely gives some perspective.

Loved the early spot with Kyoko avoiding an attack before the sprites all back away from Bull. The monsters dominate the first fall early with power and great teamwork. Bull misses a legdrop on Yamada but no sells a triple dropkick. Yamada wraps her up in a small package for the first fall. Kong dominates Hotta with kicks and a Uraken in the second fall, which Kyoko takes quickly with a running Tenryu elbow off the top. Yamada grounds Kong in the 3rd and works her leg for a while. They brawl outside for a bit and we get some quality violence from Bull on Yoshida. A Kong splash & Nakano legdrop on Hotta get 2 before a save, but another legdrop gets the pin. Hokuto out afterwards to present flowers to Bull.

Enjoyable, but far from elite match. Still loving all the joshi on here.

***3/4

• 2 weeks later...

What a weird opening--Inoue doing the Kato Kung Lee ropewalk and the girls acting like stooge heels when Nakano tags in. Good but not overwhelming action (overwhelming as in too fast and suffocating) when Yamada gets a fluke pinfall on Nakano to win a first fall that the monsters had basically dominated. The post-produced giggling commentary is just killing this for me, though. All the stuff here is executed really well and this is a lot more give-and-take than you would expect. Plus the weapons and crowd brawling is basically minimized. Yoshida looks terrific here, playing hit-and-run with her bigger opponents and showing off some nice moves in the process. It's not high-end but it's a really good, straightforward match that was actually enjoyable because it wasn't necessarily going for "epic."

• 2 years later...

I didn't really care for this as much as I should have, and the main reason was that there wasn't enough Bull. For some reason, Kyoko was the workhorse on that team, and although she's a fine worker from what I've seen, when the show is supposedly built around Bull Nakano, that's who I want to see.

Yamada, Hotta, and Yoshida looked a lot better then you'd expect under the circumstances; not only did they score a pin on Bull, but they controlled Inoue quite a bit and even had Aja on the run a time or two. It might have been Bull's night, but her team still had to "earn" the victory in this one.

I thought it was generous of her to allow herself to be pinned on her special night, ecen if it was only for one fall in a best-of-three, and the reaction of the opposing team was priceless. You'd habe thought that they each won the World title all in the same night.

How in the world did they manage to limit Aja to one brief trashcan spot? I guess they didn't want Bull to be upstaged on her big night, but considering how many times she'd been laid out by Aja with cans over the years, I doubt that she would have minded.

Bull wasn't very sentimental about the flowers after the match, and she didn't cry during her speech either. It fit her character perfectly, but it was still a bit jarring, since most athletes at least heave some heavy sighs on nights when they're being honored.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-09-15-AJW-Bull Nakano 10th Anniversary Show] Bull Nakano & Aja Kong & Kyoko Inoue vs Toshiyo Yamada & Yumiko Hotta & Mariko Yoshida
  • 2 years later...

I liked this a lot actually.  There was a story throughout with limited (and mostly sensible) no-selling.  Not only that, but both Bull and Aja showed vulnerability when targeted and isolated by the opposing team.  Really good structure to it and it took a few turns I didn't see coming.  Good match and one of my favorite joshi matches so far.