Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-10-03-WCW-Saturday Night] Interview: Shane Douglas

Loss

• 2 months later...

They push the connection to Magnum TA hard, which would have worked way better in 1987 when Magnum was more known to the fanbase. Watts would eventually figure out who was who and sort things out, but he really seemed to have dated ideas of who was worthwhile talent and who fans saw as players at first.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Shane the white-meat babyface seems so alien once you're used to the Franchise. The Magnum connection was indeed dated, and the belly-to-belly never looked that good anyway. It would take years for Douglas to come off with a better finisher in the Pittsbugh Plunge. Yeah, blame Watts...

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Pretty crazy how the Franchise act eventually completely overshadowed the Dynamic Dude and the promising youngster Shane of the WWF. Big push of the belly-to-belly suplex as a finisher--when it's hit, no man can kick out. Yeah, we sure had that beaten into our skulls. Sarcasm aside, this was pretty okay as far as white meat babyface interviews go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Seems to me like Shane's getting the kind of push everyone swears Erik Watts is getting. Granted, Shane's not a rookie here, but still, beating Herc (even if he's under a mask) and Greg Valentine in your first two televised WCW matches ain't exactly hay.

Shane's tendency to use guys' real names is there even at this stage. How many WCW fans even knew Magnum by now, and how many of the ones who knew Magnum connected that nickname with the name Terry Allen?

The belly-to-belly isn't a bad finisher, but guys were using finishers that were so much better-looking and more athletic by now that I can see where it would seem outdated.

As someone who tired of the Franchise's excessive profanity and inability to resist making comments that were so "inside" at times that it actually took away from my enjoyment of ECW (what there was of it, anyway), I'm looking forward to seeing this version of Shane, particularly his team with Steamboat and their feud with Austin and Pillman that I've heard so much about.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-10-03-WCW-Saturday Night] Interview: Shane Douglas
  • 2 years later...

Good standard babyface interview.  I'll admit the belly-to-belly is well past it's time as a finish and Magnum TA isn't going to give Shane the rub in 92.  If the belly-to-belly is so great why are the Steiners using it (better even) as a mid-match highspot?