Pro Wrestling Only

Guys you "should" like but don't?

NintendoLogic

By this, I mean wrestlers you think you'd enjoy based on your established preferences but can't really get into. Take me, for example. Based on what I know I like, I thought that Riki Choshu and Shinya Hashimoto would be right up my alley. But their work doesn't do much for me. There are certain elements I really like, but as an overall package, the souffle just doesn't rise. Anyone else?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Several of the "critically acclaimed" wrestlers on the top Indy shows (is that an oxymoron?). More specifically: Davey Richards, Eddie Edwards, Claudio Castagnoli, Chris Hero & El Generico.

I do really like Kevin Steen though!

I actually can't watch ROH anymore because I dislike the Kings of Wrestling, American Wolves and All-Night Express so much. They're just so boring and repetitive. There was a discussion in a thread here somewhere, maybe in the Comments That Don't Warrant A Thread section, where posters were talking about fake-epic matches. Remember that? Davey Richards is the fuckin' MASTER of that shit. I really hate the state of U.S. Indies right now.

Von Erichs, Killer Khan, Lawler, Dundee, Fujiwara, Hashimoto (most of the time), Choshu (most of the time), a lot of the lucha Gods, Austin Aries, Colt Cabana, El Generico, Davey Richards, Eddie Edwards, Mr. Anderson, Drew McIntyre, Chris Masters, Cena, Rock, Hogan.

I could go on.

And I think some of those dudes I plain just dislike, like the Von Erichs.

Mr. Anderson

Wait, stop, time out. Who is pimping Anderson as good?

Everyone else on your list I know of places that have pockets of fans that think they're great and others that hate them but i'm not aware of anyone anywhear that's singing the praises of Mr Anderson as a guy you should like.

Von Erichs, Killer Khan, Lawler, Dundee, Fujiwara, Hashimoto (most of the time), Choshu (most of the time), a lot of the lucha Gods, Austin Aries, Colt Cabana, El Generico, Davey Richards, Eddie Edwards, Mr. Anderson, Drew McIntyre, Chris Masters, Cena, Rock, Hogan.

I could go on.

And I think some of those dudes I plain just dislike, like the Von Erichs.

No offense but...Jesus, man.

Mil Mascaras. I don't know if he's a guy I should like, but I've hated pretty much everything involving him on the All Japan set.

He's slow, his offense is lame and unrealistic, his matwork is boring and unenthusiastic.

The ONLY good thing about Mascaras is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87JPhX-5_Mg

Am I alone in my total dislike of him?

Honestly, the best Mil Mascaras work I've seen is in the WWWF in the 70s. He's fairly good at working the headlock and then brawling. His Mask 10 match with the Destroyer was pretty good. He had a really good match with Superstar Billy Graham for the WWWF Title. But it's more popular to blindly hate on everything Mil Mascaras than to like him.

For me:

Dynamite Kid

Riki Chosu

All Japan in general, I just like New Japan more

the Miz - he'll always be that annoying twat from Tough Enough to me

Randy Orton

Batista

Also every big time indy worker out there. Honestly, if I watch indy work, I watch NWA Anarchy or more southern based indies. They don't do the wankfest crap that RoH and more northern and western indies fall in to.

For me it's the All Japan 90's guys like Misawa and Taue. Good wrestlers but the matches they have are a chore to go through. Especially the ones that are over 15 minutes.

Definitely. I feel like I really should like these guys, but I just find them too hardgoing. I've had the privilege of witnessing Kobashi v Misawa closeup, which truly was a markout moment for me (I was filming ringside as the two chopped and elbowed each other right in front of me), but I'm still far more of a Kobashi or Kawada guy than Misawa or Taue.

Not really "Guys", more "Style" ... I have to really work at staying interested in RINGS and PWFG. Of course there are matches I love, but even they feel like a bit of a chore. I end up liking a showman like Dick Vrij more than I should just because he brings a certain charisma to his matches. I acknowledge Han, Tamura and their peers as being outstanding at what they do, but matches that go over 10 minutes in that style test my attention span. I think all the restarts from a standing position are just something I hate in any style, because it renders everything that happened before that point meaningless. RINGS and PWFG are filled with tons of restarts.

For some reason, I don't have this issue with UWFI at all. UWFI is dynamic enough and seems to more greatly resemble traditional pro wrestling.

I don't think DK is in any way synonymous with NJPW.

For some reason, I think of him as a New Japan guy first and foremost.

For the record I prefer 80's NJPW to 80's AJPW too, at least based on the sets that were released for the DVDVR project. More variety, broader base of stand out guys, and I prefer Fujinami to Jumbo

I still have the New Japan set to watch. I did receive it before AJPW, but started watching the latter because I want to make the ballot. I agree that there's a hell of a lot of Jumbo and Baba on there, which can make it a bit grueling.

I'm going to add Finlay to my list. He tends to be great at the little things, but he can't put them together to create a match I find compelling. The whole is less than the sum of its parts. Come to think of it, Regal and Benoit are the same way. I guess wrestlers from Commonwealth countries known for technical excellence and stiff strikes don't really do it for me.

Dynamite Kid

All Japan in general, I just like New Japan more

Interesting that you list Dynamite and then state your preference for New Japan.

Care to elaborate a bit?

I had a really good reply to this and then the board flipped out. So here's round two at trying to answer.

I like the Tiger Mask matches with DK. Well, two of them at least, I remember hating one. I've enjoyed a couple of Stampede matches that I've dug up here and there. But mostly, I find him a little predictable but good. By the time the British Bulldogs rolled around... I kind of feel Davey Boy was carrying that team the entire time. I just don't see why he gets all of the hype and devotion heaped upon him that he does. Sure, he's good, but lots of guys are really good.

New Japan vs. All Japan. I find that, outside of the All Japan main events, that the shows tend to be dull and forgettable. I feel that New Japan shows feature a greater variety of match types and personalities while All Japan can be a little tedious. I tend to watch entire shows and New Japan, to me, does better top to bottom cards while All Japan is top heavy. I personally, dislike hour long matches. I dislike how head droppy that All Japan gets as the 90s wore on. Generally, I like Mutoh, Chono, Hashimoto and Tenzan more than I like Misawa, Kobashi, Taue, Kawada, etc. I feel like more of my needs as a fan were met coming out of New Japan shows than I do All Japan.

I also got into New Japan in the early 2000s because of all the guys working WCW. I watched a ton of WCW through the later 90s and I really enjoyed the Chono/Muta vs. Steiners feud in 97, I enjoyed Chono and Tenzan through their various appearances in 98 and I was always excited to see Liger pop up on shows throughout. I was also fascinated when Scott Norton returned in 1998 with the IWGP Title and the announcers were hyping it up as a big deal. So I started with New Japan, really liked it, then I branched out to All Japan and really didn't care for it as much.