Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Network finally happening

flyonthewall2983

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the latest F4W:

Harry has more information on the deal with Apple TV: "Just thought I should write in and let you know the deal with Apple TV. The WWE Network should be available on the Apple TV at launch. The reason that WWE is not advertising this is because Apple TV is as Dave explained last night is because of the 30% cut that Apple takes for purchases made through the App Store. The reason that is a problem on the Apple TV is because unlike any other supported device, including iPhones and iPads, is because the Apple TV doesn't have a built in web browser. The reason that this is important is because the WWE can bypass the 30% cut that Apple takes by redirecting you out of their app (which is tied to Apple's App Store) and onto their website through Safari where you can sign up to the network without Apple having any involvement in the transaction. Once you have signed up to the network through WWE.com on Safari you can then go back into the WWE App and just use your login credentials to activate the network service. However, because the Apple TV doesn't have a built in browser like other Apple devices there is no way for WWE to get around having the service activated directly through the App Store and thus forfeiting 30% of the monthly fee to Apple. This is why the WWE won't advertise the availability of the network on the Apple TV. They want for you to activate the service through your iOS device (via WWE.com on Safari) and then when you turn on your Apple TV to begin Airplaying the video you'll see the WWE App icon and realize you don't have to use Airplay as the service is already built right into the set top box. All you then need to do is launch the WWE app on the Apple TV, log in using your network credentials and you can start watching the live stream straight off the Apple TV. Amazon does the same thing for its Kindle app on iOS devices. If you want to buy a book for your Kindle app, Amazon takes you out of its Kindle app and redirects you to its book store through Safari. Once in Safari you can then purchase a book and once you have completed the purchase you need to manually go back into the Kindle app to retrieve your purchased item. This way Amazon avoids having to give Apple 30% of the purchase price of the book."

Interesting, hopefully it shows up on the PS3 Monday. I was hoping to download this weekend and set it up Monday, but may have to wait till Tuesday now.

It's on the PS3 - go to the PS Store -> Apps -> scroll all the way to the right past the "What's Hot in Apps" stuff to the "view all apps" button. It's the first one in the top left corner. WWE Network logo and everything (they call it "WWE" though). And hey, already 204 5* reviews from downloaders even though it hasn't launched yet ;)

I don't think it's "purchase the WWE app from Apple TV and they take a cut" I think it's "SIGN UP through Apple TV and they take the cut" Seems like the app is just there on Apple TV without you purchasing it, but if you put your sign up and put your payment info for the Network in on Apple TV then they'll take a percentage.

I'm confused too, because the Roku doesn't have a web browser either. But more than likely, you'll have to activate your membership through a PC at www.wwe.com/roku or something like that.

Not trolling, but what is the appeal of Apple TV? I'm asking out of genuine curiosity. From what I understand, it doesn't run Amazon Instant Video either (if this is wrong, LMK). So, if it's more limited, why choose it over Roku? Obviously, I'm missing something, because a lot of people have Apple TVs.

Thanks, Timbo. That makes sense.

But I can't agree that people who pay $79 a year for Amazon Prime wouldn't want to watch the "free" streaming movies they get through Amazon Prime Instant Video (sort of Amazon's answer to Netflix), even if they also use iTunes. That's like saying people who use iTunes would have no interest in Netflix.

Then again, all of these little boxes have their pros and cons. If HBO Go through Comcast only works with Apple TV, that's a pretty big plus. But Roku just added HBO Go/Direct TV access, so maybe Comcast won't be far behind. Kind of ridiculous that DTV and Comcast greedily withheld HBO Go from streaming boxes for so long (and still are, in some cases).

But I'm taking this thread way off-topic, I fear, so I'll conclude that I'm glad we'll all be able to enjoy WWE Network no matter what box we have.

Anyone know if it's on Xbox yet? I'll check tonight, but everyone here has discussed the PS. I'll mostly be using it on my laptop, I imagine, but not having to bother with an HDMI cable would be nice

From what I understand, it will be on 360 at launch, but Xbox One was listed as "coming soon." There's a reason for it, something to do with the way the Xbone handles apps, but I don't recall the particulars.

Anyone know if it's on Xbox yet? I'll check tonight, but everyone here has discussed the PS. I'll mostly be using it on my laptop, I imagine, but not having to bother with an HDMI cable would be nice

The theory I've seen is it'll be an update to the existing WWE app on Xbox 360.

The theory I've seen is it'll be an update to the existing WWE app on Xbox 360.

Looks like it, because I just checked for the WWE Network and the only thing that comes up is the old WWE app