Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-02-25-USWA-TV] Jerry Lawler vs Bill Dundee

Loss

• 5 weeks later...

Well, this was a nice surprise -- a studio match between these two given some time. Both are babyfaces at this point, so they shake hands in advance. Nice match, which shouldn't surprise anyone. Even though they're both babyfaces, the match has Dundee being treated like a heel, even though Lawler is the one who cheats by piledriving Dundee after a ref bump. I really like Dundee's leg work -- the clips and the sitting spinning toehold are both excellent. Not only are the strikes great, but they're varied, and if either of them throws multiple punches in a corner, each one is sold individually, which is really cool. JC Ice pulls the ref out of the ring after Lawler's double secret piledriver to let him know it happened. Lawler is distracted by this, and Dundee rolls him up from behind to win the title.

Lawler makes Dundee promise him the first shot after the match. At first, Dundee wants to wait 30 days so he can have some time with the belt, but Lawler won't have it. Dundee is funny walking away from that: "Why does he always do that to me? He does that to me all the time. Why did I do that?"

I'm going to pretend the Danny Cyrus beatdown never happened. JC Ice is around to point out Lawler using a piledriver when the ref is down, but nowhere to be found when his dad is being doubleteamed later. Stupid. Lawler comes out and makes a save.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Really good match, I daresay the #2 domestic MOTY after Bret-Diesel. Dundee unleashes some new offense, and the transition to Lawler's piledriver coming out of the leg clips was pretty masterful. Dundee is a master of working tweener and getting wins that aren't quite on the level but don't have a solid thing to point to to make it a screwjob either. Lawler goads Dundee into a rematch even though Bill wants to enjoy 30 days as World Champion.

Some fat biker guy who looks like the Motor City Madman if he let himself go wants a shot, too. Bill says Lawler gets the first shot. Wrestlingdata says this guy is Lanny "Moondog Cujo/Cousin Junior" Kean. Cyrus and Crusher Bones beat down Dundee until Lawler makes the save. Pretty underwhelming on the heel challenger side.

• 11 months later...

They're both baby faces here so I like how they work a much more technical bout to start than their usual brawl. You know it won't last for long though.They both check each other with a punch. Crowd is so into cheering both guys. Eventually we get a mini punch exchange. Dundee nails Lawler with 3 leg clips. On the 4th one Lawler counters with a piledriver. We get Jaimie Dundee out, and leads to Bill sneaking out a win. A real good match.

• GSR changed the title to [1995-02-25-USWA-TV] Jerry Lawler vs Bill Dundee