Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-07-24-WWF-Raw] Bret Hart vs Hakushi

Loss

• 2 months later...

Another really good match between these two. The 1995 TV format wasn't conducive to PPV quality matches, but this isn't far behind In Your House. These two worked well together. Someone needs to steal the spot where Bret goes sliding across the ring back first into the ring post off an Irish whip.

Jean-Pierre Lafitte steals something from ringside while they're simultaneously building up Isaac Yankem as Bret's next opponent on commentary. Please, get Bret out of this purgatory.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Another really good match between these two. The 1995 TV format wasn't conducive to PPV quality matches, but this isn't far behind In Your House. These two worked well together. Someone needs to steal the spot where Bret goes sliding across the ring back first into the ring post off an Irish whip.

Jean-Pierre Lafitte steals something from ringside while they're simultaneously building up Isaac Yankem as Bret's next opponent on commentary. Please, get Bret out of this purgatory.

Seriously....it was like "Yeah...uh...Hey Bret....listen, Shawn / Razor / Diesel are gonna be the Main Eventers now...now wait, I know you are mad, but I have a GREAT idea...you CARRY the mid-card as THE MAIN GUY!! Great huh? I knew you'd like it!" "What's that? No Shawn and the boys didnt talk to me earlier about anything...I swear!"

• 1 year later...

Vince hyping what we're about to see: "We're gonna have a humdinger!" Gag me. Then Vince implores us to get on the phone and call somebody, sounding more like Rodger Kent with every passing second.

These two have had time to work their shit out together, and the result is a tighter match and an improvement on IYH. Both guys bust out some new offense you didn't typically see in the WWF--like the first space flying tiger drop on Raw, and Bret doing that quebrada/Vader-bomb thing to the floor. This isn't Bret's best overall performance so far in '95--that's easily at the Rumble--but this is probably his best match (Survivor Series and the December IYH pending, of course). Jean-Pierre LaFitte steals the burlap sack with the Bret Hart head in it that Hakushi brought to ringside. This would build to LaFitte stealing Bret's jacket that Helen "made" for him. What a waste. I'm going to have to seriously consider Bret for the Most Underrated Award at the end of the year, which sounds unthinkable but would seem to apply.

• 2 years later...

There were a couple of commercial breaks, about 10m shown in total. Because of the breaks certain segments of the match felt compressed, like they were trying to fit too much in. As Loss said the TV format of the time wasn't helpful for producing strong matches. This was one of the better efforts of the year I would imagine. It was evenly fought with some funky moves from Hakushi. Bret must have been dispirited in 1995, but didn't let it affect his performances.

• 6 months later...

Bret Hart vs Hakushi - RAW 7/24/95

FLYING SPACE TIGER DROP! So that's why this match is famous. :)

I thought this was an improvement on their IYH match. I had never seen this match before. I liked Shinja distracted Bret before the bell to give Hakushi the advantage, but Hakushi squanders that when he eats knees on his Vaderbomb. Bret is so good working on top and grinding his opponent. Hakushi Irish Whips and Bret falls and slides hard into the post back first. Great spot! Similar Hakushi heat segment. I love Bret feeds himself hope spots and Hakushi cutoffs. The ending of the match is red hot. FLYING SPACE TIGER DROP! You don't see those even today. Bret does the double noggin knocker. Bret hits an Asai Vaderbomb! I marked out for that. Hakushi gets one more hope spot before Bret polishes him off definitively with the superplex/Sharpshooter combo. Really dug this TV match. ***1/2

• GSR changed the title to [1995-07-24-WWF-Raw] Bret Hart vs Hakushi