Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-07-29-WCW-Saturday Night] Interview: Hulk Hogan

Loss

• 2 months later...

Shameless and disgusting, but what do you expect? Hogan exploits Andre's death, even talking about his tears at the funeral while trying unsuccessfully to fake tears. What makes it so bad is not just the discussion of the funeral, but also talking about how there were always rumors that Andre had fathered a son, which I think crosses a line from wrestling angle to slander. Hogan is a good performer, so this is a good interview (a really good one, actually), but it's hard to see that because the exploitation is such a turn-off. This isn't far behind the WWE using Eddy's death in angles.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sitdown interview in front of a black background like this is fucking 60 Minutes. Hogan thinks about Andre the Giant all the time, talks to Jimmy for hours about him, and misses him a lot--oh GOD. You know, I agree with Loss that Hogan's delivery is actually pretty good here, but a.) as mentioned, it's exploitative as all hell, and b.) less importantly, it just makes me think of all the opportunities Hogan has had in WCW to cut a promo like this when it actually would have meant a ton more, and passed it up in favor of the usual Hulk cliches.

I've never seen or really heard about this before, and it was an eye-opener. The Giant as "Andre's son" was stupid, but not exactly unprecedented in the world of wrestling. But this crosses a line that the Great Muta, Ricky Steamboat, the various Gorgeous Georges, and various fictional luchador Jrs. never did. Hands down the crassest angle of the year.

• GSR changed the title to [1995-07-29-WCW-Saturday Night] Interview: Hulk Hogan